1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Aug '12 16:03
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    ???

Who are you and what have you done with RJH?
    I was helping VoidSpirit with the logic of his point of view that there is no God. That of course, is not my point of view. 😏
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Aug '12 16:03
    The "graven images" are actually of cherubim, or angels of God. I really do not see how one could confuse these for God, or worship them, instead of God.
    So a cross is OK, but a cross with the image of Jesus on, would be an idol?
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Aug '12 16:391 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So a cross is OK, but a cross with the image of Jesus on, would be an idol?
    It is not the image. It is the purpose of the use of the image that could make it an idol. The golden calf, in the story of Moses, was specifically made to be worshipped as a god. A crucifix is not made for the purpose of worship as a god instead of God.
  4. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    04 Aug '12 17:09
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The definition used by the Holy Bible is number 1 and 2 below:

idol (noun)

1. (Christianity / Ecclesiastical Terms) a material object, esp a carved image, that is worshipped as a god
    2. (Christianity / Ecclesiastical Terms) Christianity Judaism any being (other than the one God) to which divine honour is paid
    3. a person who is revered, admired, or h ...[text shortened]... of the cross one might wear as a necklace is not considered as idols in Judism and Christianity.
    idol; noun: 1)an image or other material object representing a deity to which religious worship is addressed.

sound like the ark was an idol.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Aug '12 20:55
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    idol; noun: 1)an image or other material object representing a deity to which religious worship is addressed.

sound like the ark was an idol.
    More in a "O Israel, gaze upon the Ark... isn't God awesome" sort of way, and less of a
    "O Golden Box, who art in the Temple,
    hallowed be your name.
    Your kingdom come,
    your will be done,
    on earth as it is in heaven.
    Give us this day our daily bread,
    and forgive us our debts,
    as we also have forgiven our debtors.
    And lead us not into temptation,
    but deliver us from evil."
    sort of way.
  6. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    04 Aug '12 23:54
    More in a "O Israel, gaze upon the Ark... isn't God awesome" sort of way, and less of a
    "O Golden Box, who art in the Temple,
    hallowed be your name.
    Your kingdom come,
    your will be done,
    on earth as it is in heaven.
    Give us this day our daily bread,
    and forgive us our debts,
    as we also have forgiven our debtors.
    And lead us not into temptation,
    but deliver us from evil."
    sort of way.
    people who worshiped gods through their idols weren't exactly worshiping the physical idols. they worshiped what they thought were living gods through the vessel of the idol.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 02:09
    To be fair, I have to let you all know that one standard answer to my question is that the Cherubim are looking up to God who is "sitting" in the empty space between them. Thus what is being worshipped is empty space above tthe ark, not the ark itself.
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 11:38
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    It is not the image. It is the purpose of the use of the image that could make it an idol. The golden calf, in the story of Moses, was specifically made to be worshipped as a god. A crucifix is not made for the purpose of worship as a god instead of God.
    Not even Bronze Age man is going to make something then worship it!
    Clearly the golden calf was a representation of a deity/power -
    biblical god didnt like competition.
    (makes one suspect that he is not omnipotent ...)
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Aug '12 14:20
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Not even Bronze Age man is going to make something then worship it!
    Clearly the golden calf was a representation of a deity/power -
    biblical god didnt like competition.
    (makes one suspect that he is not omnipotent ...)
    It does not bother me whether or not God is "omni" anything. God is Great.

YouTube
  10. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    09 Aug '12 02:47
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So graven images that don't look like the god that they are used to worship are OK?
    No one did any kind of worship to the ark. If you have a scripture that says different then show it...
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    10 Aug '12 20:20
    Originally posted by galveston75
    No one did any kind of worship to the ark. If you have a scripture that says different then show it...
    Do you generally agree with the following? (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idolatry)

The Roman Catholic and particularly the Orthodox Churches cite St. John of Damascus' work "On the Divine Image" to defend the use of icons. He wrote in direct response to the Byzantine iconoclasm that began in the eighth century by the Byzantine emperor Leo III and continued by his successor Constantine V. St. John maintains that depicting the invisible God is indeed wrong, but he argues that the incarnation, where "the Word became flesh" (John 1:14), indicates that the invisible God became visible, and as a result it is permissible to depict Jesus Christ. He argues: "When He who is bodiless and without form... existing in the form of God, empties Himself and takes the form of a servant in substance and in stature and is found in a body of flesh, then you draw His image..."

He also observes that in the Old Testament, images and statues were not absolutely condemned in themselves: examples include the images of cherubim over the Ark of the Covenant (Exodus 25:18-22) which God instructed Moses to make, the embroidered figures of cherubim angels which God told Moses to make on the curtain which separated the Holy of Holies in the Tabernacle tent (Exodus 26:31), or the bronze serpent mentioned in the book of Numbers.

I suppose you don't agree that the Word became flesh and so depicting Jesus isn't wrong anyway. But I'm not sure about that. My question is more about the cherubim and the bronze serpent.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Aug '12 00:12
    Originally posted by JS357
    Do you generally agree with the following? (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idolatry)

[quote]The Roman Catholic and particularly the Orthodox Churches cite St. John of Damascus' work "On the Divine Image" to defend the use of icons. He wrote in direct response to the Byzantine iconoclasm that began in the eighth century by the Byzantine emperor Leo III ...[text shortened]... 'm not sure about that. My question is more about the cherubim and the bronze serpent.
    Right.

As I've been saying this whole thread, icons are not idols.
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    11 Aug '12 01:15
    Right.

As I've been saying this whole thread, icons are not idols.
    Well, yes, clicking on an icon will at least take you somewhere.😉
  14. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    13 Aug '12 00:18
    Originally posted by JS357

[quote]The Roman Catholic and particularly the Orthodox Churches cite St. John of Damascus' work "On the Divine Image" to defend the use of icons. He wrote in direct response to the Byzantine iconoclasm that began in the eighth century by the Byzantine emperor Leo III ...[text shortened]... 'm not sure about that. My question is more about the cherubim and the bronze serpent.
    Again nothing but God is to be worshipped or given that admiration to. Those angles on the ark were never to be worshipped.
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    13 Aug '12 19:26
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Those angles on the ark were never to be worshipped.
    Not even the right angles?
    What about a cute one?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree