1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '22 06:17
    "The term Exotheology was coined in the 1960s for the examination of theological issues as they pertain to extraterrestrial intelligence. It is primarily concerned with either conjecture about possible theological beliefs that extraterrestrials might have, or how our own theologies have been or will be influenced by evidence of and/or interaction with extraterrestrials." ~ Wiki

What do people see as being the "theological issues [that would] pertain to [or be raised by] extraterrestrial intelligence?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Jan '22 06:22
    @fmf said
    "The term Exotheology was coined in the 1960s for the examination of theological issues as they pertain to extraterrestrial intelligence. It is primarily concerned with either conjecture about possible theological beliefs that extraterrestrials might have, or how our own theologies have been or will be influenced by evidence of and/or interaction with extraterrestrials." ~ ...[text shortened]... ing the "theological issues [that would] pertain to [or be raised by] extraterrestrial intelligence?
    I believe extraterrestrials exist in the spiritual realm and are demons.

They will (subtly) challenge the deity and supremacy of Jesus Christ, and many people will be deceived by them, including Christians.

If reports by people who claim to have been the victims of attempted abductions by aliens are true, the abductions were stopped by the victim using the name of Jesus.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '22 06:54
    @pb1022 said
    I believe extraterrestrials exist in the spiritual realm and are demons.
    What would be the implications for Abrahamic theology if the extraterrestrials existed in reality and were not "in the spiritual realm" and were not "demons"?
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Jan '22 07:41
    @fmf said
    What would be the implications for Abrahamic theology if the extraterrestrials existed in reality and were not "in the spiritual realm" and were not "demons"?
    I honestly don’t know. I can’t make that leap.

I’m convinced they are demons and I can’t imagine them another way, not even as a thought experiment.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    27 Jan '22 08:09
    @fmf said
    "The term Exotheology was coined in the 1960s for the examination of theological issues as they pertain to extraterrestrial intelligence. It is primarily concerned with either conjecture about possible theological beliefs that extraterrestrials might have, or how our own theologies have been or will be influenced by evidence of and/or interaction with extraterrestrials." ~ ...[text shortened]... ing the "theological issues [that would] pertain to [or be raised by] extraterrestrial intelligence?
    If there were extraterrestrials I imagine they'd be looking at humanity and saying to themselves "what the hell is the matter with them?"
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '22 08:14
    @josephw said
    If there were extraterrestrials I imagine they'd be looking at humanity and saying to themselves "what the hell is the matter with them?"
    This thread is about theology ~ in the circumstances laid out by the OP ~ rather than the state of the world we live in.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    27 Jan '22 08:24
    @fmf said
    I was unaware that "Abrahamic theology" included anything about extraterrestrials.

Your question is relative to dreamscape stuff and not worthy of serious consideration as it doesn't reflect on reality.

Speculation is the mother of doubt with regards to the alteration of what is known and established as reality.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '22 08:25
    @josephw said
    I was unaware that "Abrahamic theology" included anything about extraterrestrials.
    Exactly.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '22 08:26
    @josephw said
    Your question is relative to dreamscape stuff and not worthy of serious consideration as it doesn't reflect on reality.
    Then maybe this thread is not for you.
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    27 Jan '22 08:28
    @fmf said
    This thread is about theology ~ in the circumstances laid out by the OP ~ rather than the state of the world we live in.
    It appears your understanding of theology is heavily influenced by speculation and the application of the surreal.

There is nothing in "Abrahamic theology" that includes the idea of extraterrestrials.

Your OP goes nowhere.
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    27 Jan '22 08:28
    @fmf said
    Then maybe this thread is not for you.
    It's not. It's for you.
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    27 Jan '22 08:30
    @fmf said
    Exactly.
    Then what exactly is the point in speculating about something that doesn't exist?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '22 08:46
    @josephw said
    There is nothing in "Abrahamic theology" that includes the idea of extraterrestrials.
    Exactly! Hence this OP. Which may well not be one for you.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '22 08:47
    @josephw said
    Then what exactly is the point in speculating about something that doesn't exist?
    If you don't want to discuss the OP, or do not see the point of doing so, you don't have to.
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    27 Jan '22 08:58
    @fmf said
    What do people see as being the "theological issues [that would] pertain to [or be raised by] extraterrestrial intelligence?
    Well, ok, but this is only my perspective.

If I ever met an extraterrestrial I would first have to think that their knowledge of science, or possibly supernatural understanding, would far exceed that of our own, considering the distance they must have traveled to get here, that is if distance was even an obstacle for them.

The next thing I would be curious about is if they had ever heard of Jesus Christ.

Then I'd go from there to wherever it would lead.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree