1. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 04:57
    Originally posted by ryunix
    As per usual, we hit a tangent.

To use your argument: If you disbelief that I like pizza, you clearly do not understand me. If you disbelief that there is no God you clearly do not understand him etc.

Science states “facts” that change all the time. Science is a self correcting process which is the beauty of it and one of the ways it is corrected is wi ...[text shortened]... ed by your belief... well I know of no other way to explain it other then your post reeks of it.
    You seem confused about the difference between facts, small lumps of information, and theories, universal explanations of vast amounts of information, backed up by a huge body of data.
  2. Joined
    07 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 05:05
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    I know lots of people that believe the whole Bible, but are not Creationists. Evolution is not a problem to those well versed in ancient cultures, religious literature, and biblical languages. To literalists, however, it often proves a serious stumbling point.
    Literalists as in God made man? Then yes I am one of those *laughs* but as much as I would like to investigate this with you... it seems I now have a toad on my back *sighs*
  3. Joined
    07 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 05:06
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    You seem confused about the difference between facts, small lumps of information, and theories, universal explanations of vast amounts of information, backed up by a huge body of data.
    I really dont think i am, but you seem confused that i am 😉
  4. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 05:201 edit
    I really dont think i am, but you seem confused that i am 😉
    I've taught and researched in the subject long enough to know when someone doesn't understand something properly - there are small tell-tales.
  5. Joined
    07 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 05:27
    I've taught and researched in the subject long enough to know when someone doesn't understand something properly - there are small tell-tales.
    Okay, keep up the hard work.

If you care to let me know those “signs” are, or anything else. My PM is always available.

I will even listen with an open mind. However, conversation will stop if people cant hold off on accusations, insults or other uncalled for comments.
  6. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 05:33
    If you care to let me know those “signs” are, or anything else.
    An example is how I understand the theory of evolution but am not convicted of it, thus my actions are not determined by it. If I did believe in the theory of evolution, my actions would be determined by it. (Not solely determined, but you get the idea)
  7. Joined
    07 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 05:35
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    [b]An example is how I understand the theory of evolution but am not convicted of it, thus my actions are not determined by it. If I did believe in the theory of evolution, my actions would be determined by it. (Not solely determined, but you get the idea)
    [/b]
    So are you hinting that the sign that i don’t understand evolution is that i don’t think it is correct?

So anyone who does not agree with something simply does not understand it?
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 05:42
    As per usual, we hit a tangent.

To use your argument: If you disbelief that I like pizza, you clearly do not understand me. If you disbelief that there is no God you clearly do not understand him etc.

Science states “facts” that change all the time. Science is a self correcting process which is the beauty of it and one of the ways it is corrected is wi ...[text shortened]... ed by your belief... well I know of no other way to explain it other then your post reeks of it.
    Science states “facts” that change all the time.

For example?
  9. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 05:431 edit
    So are you hinting that the sign that i don’t understand evolution is that i don’t think it is correct?

Well, for me, the fact that you called evolution as "only" a theory, despite a theory being the highest level of explanation and certainty there is in science.

Wulebgr is pointing out that understanding and accepting evolution as true does not require one to change ones behaviour or day to day life in any way.
  10. Joined
    07 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 05:47
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    [b]Science states “facts” that change all the time.

For example?[/b]
    www.google.ca

Oh and nice comments on the abortion topic... I'm not referring to the "eating them all and make it hurt" comment, though is was rather humorous
  11. Joined
    07 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 05:48
    Well, for me, the fact that you called evolution as "only" a theory, despite a theory being the highest level of explanation and certainty there is in science.

Wulebgr is pointing out that understanding and accepting evolution as true does not require one to change ones behaviour or day to day life in any way.
    You belief systems shape your actions. Evolution is a belief and thus it shapes your actions.

For instance your here talking to me, you might not if it weren’t for that belief and certainly would not be saying the same things.
  12. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 05:49
    www.google.ca
    This is not an acceptable way of backing up an argument in a debate.
  13. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves

You keep generalizing from this particular instance. There are many things that I understand, but do not believe (George Bush's explanations of why we are in Iraq, for example). The theory of evolution is simply not the sort of thing that is disbelieved by those that understand it: that is the nature of theory in science, as it happens.

scottishinnz has been clear enough on this point.
  14. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    Evolution is a belief
    No, it is not. It is an explanation.
  15. Joined
    07 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 06:05
    This is not an acceptable way of backing up an argument in a debate.
    I didn’t initiate the debate or argument with him (or any of you actually) and I have little intention on being the one to do the research for him.

There are now 3 of you who are all picking different things to debate me on, this is also not practiced in a formal debate so seeing how I now have 3 vs. 1, finding links for all of you is a tad ridiculous. (Which i will have to do if i make any claims)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree