1. Wat?
    Moves
    19 Dec '09 06:25
    As some of you know, it is then end of my semester in Thailand and I have been marking for the last week. 358 French papers and 174 English x2 for both Grammar; Reading & Spelling.

Children can write some amazing things, as we know. But I need to share this with you because I have been moved for the last 30 minutes and I know why, but I also don't know why! I have taken the trouble to type this 11 year old Thai girl's answer purely because it is beautiful. Please remember that this girl has only been learning English for 6 years as a second language, and is only 11 years old! Grade 6 exam I wrote....

Part II - Creative Writing with Vocabulary. 30 Points (2 points per word used)

Calvin learned to ride a bike even though he was blind. He overcame difficulties.
    Think about difficult things you have learned to do; such as learning to ride a bike, learning to use a computer, speaking English, things done alone by yourself and your own hard work.
    Now think about the time you went shopping blind with your folded money in school.
    Write a short story about how you felt. What was difficult about blind shopping? What do you think you did well?

Include ALL of the words in the box below in your story.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tried difficult achieved again felt great proud dark shop buy
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My story title is: ________________________________-

My story is: ________________________________ etc etc.........

This is the answer from Miss Pawinee Meakrarat, aged 11.
    This is a pure and accurate transcription of what I just marked. I had to stop marking - because this answer from an 11 year old has moved me!!

"When I went blind shopping in school"

When Iwas blind shopping at school. in Teacher Mike's class. Actually, I've never experienced blind shopping. When I did it the first time in Teacher Mike's class, I felt so sorry for the blind people who cannot see anything but darkness. I know it's difficult to be blind. Sometimes, blind people think they won't achieve their goals in life. Back to Teacher Mike's class: I tried to act like I'm really blind. When we're playing blind shopping I was the blind. and Boom was the seller. Boom used my things for sale, and I tried to feel and touch one of my favorite things and buy it. I feel so great I played many times and achieved. I'm a bit proud that time because some of my classmates falls down and I don't. You know what, when I was playing blind shopping, I felt even though, it's so dark, and I can't see because I'm blind, I know there's still light and that is hope and faith.
  2. Wat?
    Moves
    19 Dec '09 17:21
    You no hopers in reality!...
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    19 Dec '09 17:44
    Originally posted by mikelom
    I'm assuming that it's the last sentence that is the clincher for you. Would you care to expand upon that?
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    20 Dec '09 15:59
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Bringing hope and faith to children is an awesome responsibility.

I know. I have the privilege of rearing 6 of my own.

But what I gained from the experience I cannot repay. I think I'm richer for it.
  5. In the tall grass...
    Moves
    20 Dec '09 16:15
    11 year old? Amazing...
    I currently teach 19-21 year old Chinese students and I would be happy with that.
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    20 Dec '09 21:41
    Originally posted by josephw
    Bringing hope and faith to children is an awesome responsibility.

I know. I have the privilege of rearing 6 of my own.

But what I gained from the experience I cannot repay. I think I'm richer for it.
    6!!!
    My you have been busy.
    All the very best with that dear Joseph
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    20 Dec '09 22:10
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    6!!!
    My you have been busy.
    All the very best with that dear Joseph
    It was nothing. Although it cost me my retirement. 😀 just kidding.

My youngest will be 7 next month. Reuben, the apple of my eye. God I love that boy! He's so much like his father. Emulates everything I do. I must be getting good at this child rearing thing. I haven't even had to spank him yet. Obeys me without too much of a fight, and boy can he fight! Seems to think he can beat me up. And he just won't quit either. Runs helter skelter all day. I allow him to do anything he wants, and now there isn't anything he can't do. Smart too. I think it's because everyone else in the family is so much older. 13 years between him and my youngest daughter. So he's had alot of adult influence. With 4 older sisters he is as charming as can be with the girls. I gotta watch out for him. He's not shy. Everywhere we go the girls just swarm to him for some reason. Ya, he's cute. Looks em' in the eye. And he can talk too. He's been speaking clearly since he was 18 months. Probably because of all of us adults in the house. Clear minded too. Grasps ideas and concepts of children twice his age. Ya, I'm proud, and blessed.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree