1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 10:34
    Originally posted by scottishinnz

There are certainly evidence for something, but not necessarily what you claim they are for.
    Do you think people approach spiritual experience with a pre-conceived outcome in mind, or is it a more open-ended, adventurous, not to say dangerous sort of exercise?

Feel free to substitute a term of your choosing for "spiritual experience", it's very old and woolly.
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 10:36
    Originally posted by whodey
    Then why do so many people place their faith in the God of the Bible, for example, rather than the spaghetti flying monster? It seems to me that an ancient established religion of some kind is a type of evidence. If there be a God and he wishes to interact with us, it stands to reason that there would be an ancient religion of some kind to reach out to mank ...[text shortened]... ble indication of a higher power? You see there are evidences even though there are not proofs.
    People place their faith in the God of the Bible because they were brought up to do so. Just like people born in Saudi Arabia put their faith in Allah. They are socially conditioned belief systems. Throughout history, people have put their faith in a dizzying variety of mutually contradictory religious belief systems. That does not in any way count as evidence to support those belief systems.

The testimony of people in regard to how their faith has changed them is evidence that those people have faith, nothing more. They have changed and they choose to attribute it to their faith. Their faith can be a motivator, but that does nothing to establish whether their religious beliefs are actually true.

Archaeology is a valuable field that can give insight many things. But no amount of biblical relics is going to determine whether god actually exists. All it demonstrates is that there have been many civilizations who worship a particular god and construct relics to him.

It is possible that our existence is due to a higher power. And it is possible that a higher power had nothing to do with it. The fact that we exist is no indication which of those are true.

In the end you have no good evidence. All you have is speculation and wishful thinking. Your weak critical thinking skills are lamentable.
  3. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 10:37
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Do you think people approach spiritual experience with a pre-conceived outcome in mind, or is it a more open-ended, adventurous, not to say dangerous sort of exercise?

Feel free to substitute a term of your choosing for "spiritual experience", it's very old and woolly.
    I think in many cases they do approach the "problem" with a pre-conceived end point in sight, like whodey does with existance.

Not in all cases though - it would be foolish to make sweeping generalisations - but they are much rarer....

Hope you are well, Bosse me old mucker?!
  4. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 10:39
    Originally posted by rwingett
    People place their faith in the God of the Bible because they were brought up to do so. Just like people born in Saudi Arabia put their faith in Allah. They are socially conditioned belief systems. Throughout history, people have put their faith in a dizzying variety of mutually contradictory religious belief systems. That does not in any way count as evide ...[text shortened]... you have is speculation and wishful thinking. Your weak critical thinking skills are lamentable.
    Nice post. Good seeing you about (isn't it ironic how God and good are so closely related, given the circumstances) again R.

Had a couple of beers - spreading the love tonight!
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 10:45

Hope you are well, Bosse me old mucker?!
    I'm on the verge of penury, as it happens. A good time to practice my new-found philosophy of joy before death. How are you?

I'd be interested in your opinion on CG Jung's 7 Sermons, I've just posted it in one of these threads...
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 10:451 edit
    People place their faith in the God of the Bible because they were brought up to do so. Just like people born in Saudi Arabia put their faith in Allah. They are socially conditioned belief systems. Throughout history, people have put their faith in a dizzying variety of mutually contradictory religious belief systems. That does not in any way count as evide ...[text shortened]... you have is speculation and wishful thinking. Your weak critical thinking skills are lamentable.
    People place their faith in the God of the Bible because they were brought up to do so.

I know plenty of people that have been brought up in either atheistic, hindu, islamic, bhuddist etc. homes, that have come to place their face in Jesus Christ.
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 10:46
    Your weak critical thinking skills are lamentable.
    I see you're back in purgatory. Welcome...

The Book of Lamentations expresses the anonymous author's despair at the state of critical analysis in the people of Israel.
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 10:46
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    [b]People place their faith in the God of the Bible because they were brought up to do so.

I know of people that have been brought up in either atheistic, hindu, islamic, bhuddist etc. homes, that have come to place their face in Jesus Christ.[/b]
    Yes, and vice-versa, so what.
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 10:492 edits
    Yes, and vice-versa, so what.
    So Wingitt is wong that people only place their faith in the God of the Bible because they were bwought up to do so.
  10. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 10:511 edit
    So Wingitt is wong that people only place their faith in the God of the Bible because they were brought up to do so.
    Rwingett is the generalissimo of generalisation today.

Some do so for that reason, others don't, the same as eating meat. Who cares?
  11. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 10:54
    [b]People place their faith in the God of the Bible because they were brought up to do so.

I know plenty of people that have been brought up in either atheistic, hindu, islamic, bhuddist etc. homes, that have come to place their face in Jesus Christ.[/b]
    People can change their beliefs. The more homogenous a society is, the more difficult it is to do so. A society that is more tolerant of diversity will see more converts. But most people in any society will adopt that society's prevailing beliefs.
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 10:55
    So Wingitt is wong that people only place their faith in the God of the Bible because they were bwought up to do so.
    People mainly place their faith in the god of the bible because they were brought up to do so. There are exceptions, of course.
  13. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 11:10
    I'm on the verge of penury, as it happens. A good time to practice my new-found philosophy of joy before death. How are you?

I'd be interested in your opinion on CG Jung's 7 Sermons, I've just posted it in one of these threads...

Likewise!! I have a job lined up in Osaka teaching English (or Engrish?), but was told yesterday by one of the Profs in my dept that "You're going no-where". Nice to know that they want to keep me, but a permanent contract would be nice! I just discovered probably one of the biggest things in plant biology since the discovery of DNA - if I'm right, well.... I'll never have to look for another job again! And I've had a (half a) skin full of Grolsch beer, so am very well!

Hmm, you've piqued my interest now.... Will have a look, although I might be in a better reading mood tomorrow or Sunday / Monday....
  14. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 11:12

Hey, did you like my "my sweet lord" choco-Jesus article?
  15. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 11:41
    Hey, did you like my "my sweet lord" choco-Jesus article?
    Reminds of Tom Waits' song "Chocolate Jesus"...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree