1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 19:52
    Originally posted by rwingett
    That is completely ridiculous. Truth is not decided by a majority vote. Are you saying that every religion that is worshipped today is true? Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, Sikhism, Judaism, Animism, are all equally true because they have people who currently believe them? If people quit worshipping Christ would that mean christianity was n ...[text shortened]... ere because people believe it's a sphere, or is it a sphere regardless of what people believe?
    I am not saying that these gods were not once percieved as gods to those who worshiped them. What I am saying is that these gods must not have been acutual Gods with actual power in that they have vanished from being worshiped by mankind.

I also never meant to imply that majority rules. As I have stated, I do not think, for example, that the majority of Americans are "Christian" even though they may proport themselves to be. The Bible says that the Christian road to travel is narrow whereas the road of the world is broad and well traveled. Just look at our culture and media and telll me how "Christian" you think it appears. Look at our government and tell me how "Chrisitian" it appears. Either we have willfully been hijacked by these "unchrisitan" influences or we have lovingly embraced them via our voting and/or spending habits. If so, what does that say about the majority of Americans?
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 21:17
    Originally posted by whodey
    Matthew 21:42 "Jesus said to them, "Did you never read in the scriptures, the stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner; this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our our eyes?

1 Peter 2:6 "Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious and he that believes on him will not be confounded."
    What do these passages have to do with your claims that:

A) The Bible prophesied that the Jews would reject Jesus (presumably even after his magic resurrection); AND

B) That the Bible prophesied that people would claim the Bible's prophecies are being fulfilled erroneously for at least 2000 years?
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 21:181 edit
    I am not saying that these gods were not once percieved as gods to those who worshiped them. What I am saying is that these gods must not have been acutual Gods with actual power in that they have vanished from being worshiped by mankind.

I also never meant to imply that majority rules. As I have stated, I do not think, for example, that the majority of ting and/or spending habits. If so, what does that say about the majority of Americans?
    That they think that people like you are loony.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 03:15
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    What do these passages have to do with your claims that:

A) The Bible prophesied that the Jews would reject Jesus (presumably even after his magic resurrection); AND

B) That the Bible prophesied that people would claim the Bible's prophecies are being fulfilled erroneously for at least 2000 years?
    So if Christ did not know that the Jews would reject him how in the world could he know that they would want him crucified?
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 03:19
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    That they think that people like you are loony.
    Hey, who you callin looney. 🙄
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 03:59
    So if Christ did not know that the Jews would reject him how in the world could he know that they would want him crucified?
    What part of "even after his magic resurrection" didn't you get?
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 05:491 edit

I also never meant to imply that majority rules. As I have stated, I do not think, for example, that the majority of ting and/or spending habits. If so, what does that say about the majority of Americans?
    What you're saying is that what determines if a god is real or not is if anyone believes in him. Zeus is not real because nobody believes in him. The christian god is real because 2.1 billion people believe in him. A god that nobody believes can't be a real god, while a god that 1/3 of the world's people believe in must be a real one. It IS majority rule, no matter how much you might protest to the contrary.

Now, since Hinduism has 900 million adherents, their gods (or god) must be just as real as the christian god. By your line of reasoning, the fact that the Hindu gods have been worshipped as widely and for as long as they have, demonstrates their factual reality. After all, if it works for Christ, it must work for Brahman as well.

So according to you, the christian god is a real god with real power. Likewise, Allah is a real god with real power. Brahman is a real god with real power. Vahiguru is a real god with real power. And Ahura Mazda is a real god with real power. They're all real gods with real power, all co-existing at the same time. The fact that people across the world worship each one of them means that it must be so, does it not? After all, you can't plausibly claim that this line of thought only applies to the christian god. Or is it the case that the god with the most adherents is the only real one? In which case it would most definitely be a majority rule.

I have no interest in your criteria for what constitutes a "real" christian. As though you're the one who gets to decide. I will give people the benefit of the doubt and assume that everyone who claims to be a christian is one. As for our media and government, they're not supposed to be christian in nature. Because many christians support the concept of a secular government, with a wall of separation between church and state, does not mean that they can't be "real" christians. Quite the contrary, I would say that such christians are far better christians that the fundamentalist zealots who would impose their narrow-minded brand of theocracy upon the nation.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 02:592 edits
    What you're saying is that what determines if a god is real or not is if anyone believes in him. Zeus is not real because nobody believes in him. The christian god is real because 2.1 billion people believe in him. A god that nobody believes can't be a real god, while a god that 1/3 of the world's people believe in must be a real one. It IS ma ist zealots who would impose their narrow-minded brand of theocracy upon the nation.
    You again are putting words in my mouth. All I am saying is that if there is a God, he must be active in the lives of men today as well as in ancient times. I am in no way saying that it is a popularity contest and that the most believers must worship the true God or that this proves that the Christian God is the real God because his origin is of ancient descent. All I am saying, or have been trying to say, is that the God of Abraham is a viable candidate for existing because he is a God of today in the lives of men as well as in ancient times in the lives of men. Again, this is not proof, rather, it is merely evidence.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 05:09
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    [b]I'm on the verge of penury, as it happens. A good time to practice my new-found philosophy of joy before death. How are you?

Likewise!! I have a job lined up in Osaka teaching English (or Engrish?), but was told yesterday by one of the Profs in my dept that "You're going no-where". Nice to know that they want to keep me, but a permane ...[text shortened]... a look, although I might be in a better reading mood tomorrow or Sunday / Monday....[/b]
    Hey, good luck on your discovery. Can you give us a hint as to its direction?
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 05:11
    All need be done to discredit the God of Bible is to destroy the nation of Israel and along with it the Jewish people thus nullifying end time prophesies concerning the nation of Israel. Not to worry, however, many are at work today to do just that.
    The end days have been coming on for two thousand years with no end in sight. Don't hold your breath.
  11. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 05:39
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Hey, good luck on your discovery. Can you give us a hint as to its direction?
    I found the signal which switches grass leaves on and off. Important in determining growth, morphology, yield (in cereals) and all that type thing.

Basically, why plants grow.
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 06:08
    You again are putting words in my mouth. All I am saying is that if there is a God, he must be active in the lives of men today as well as in ancient times. I am in no way saying that it is a popularity contest and that the most believers must worship the true God or that this proves that the Christian God is the real God because his origin is of ancient de ...[text shortened]... in ancient times in the lives of men. Again, this is not proof, rather, it is merely evidence.
    Do you concede that the Hindu god(s) are therefore just as likely to be true as the christian one? After all, Brahman is a viable candidate for existing because he is a god of today in the lives of men as well as in ancient times. Do you concede that Ahura Mazda is just as viable? And Allah? And Vahiguru? They are all equally viable candidates, by your line of reasoning, because they have been worshipped from antiquity to the current day. Do you agree with this statement, yes or no?
  13. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 09:47
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    I found the signal which switches grass leaves on and off. Important in determining growth, morphology, yield (in cereals) and all that type thing.

Basically, why plants grow.
    Sweet! Congratulations.
  14. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 10:38
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Sweet! Congratulations.
    Hmmm. I'm happy with it. The manuscript is in prep for "Science".
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 12:32
    Do you concede that the Hindu god(s) are therefore just as likely to be true as the christian one? After all, Brahman is a viable candidate for existing because he is a god of today in the lives of men as well as in ancient times. Do you concede that Ahura Mazda is just as viable? And Allah? And Vahiguru? They are all equally viable candidates, by your line ...[text shortened]... been worshipped from antiquity to the current day. Do you agree with this statement, yes or no?
    I would agree that they are all candidates as well. However, it is somewhat of a short list, no? I would then continue investigating which one has further evidences as to the real God. As I have said before there are other evidences which support my faith such as Biblical prophesy which you seem to scoff at.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree