False religion versus the gospel of Jesus Christ

False religion versus the gospel of Jesus Christ

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
17 Aug 16

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
You tell me. The verse quoted is from your religious book, not mine.
The reason why no one is righteous is because no one can be true to their conscience 100% of the time.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
17 Aug 16

'Finally, brothers and sisters, rejoice! Strive for full restoration, encourage one another, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you.' (2 Cor13:11)

God doesn't expect you to be perfect. God expects you to 'strive' for perfection. So yes, you can sin and still be righteous.
"You can sin and still be righteous."

Is this written in 2nd Opinions 5:2?

Moves
17 Aug 16

Originally posted by FMF
To equate "sin" and "immorality" seems an odd thing for an atheist to do, especially here on this forum.
Why?

(I'm not disputing my oddness).

A Christian may describe an act as a sin (theft for example) and an atheist the same act as immoral. (As dictated by their conscience and sense of what is right and wrong). I speak only of sin in this forum as it is the language used by theists. I would extend the same courtesy if I was posting on a Japanese forum and would use the language in common use.

(And yes, not all 'sins' are immoral in an atheistic framework).

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
17 Aug 16
2 edits

Why?

A Christian may describe an act as a sin (theft for example) and an atheist the same act as immoral. (As dictated by their conscience and sense of what is right and wrong). I speak only of sin in this forum as it is the language used by theists. I would extend the same courtesy if I was posting on a Japanese ...[text shortened]... the language in common use.

And in an atheistic framework all immoral acts are merely a matter of opinion anyway so what one atheist may regard as immoral is not necessarily immoral for another atheist.

F

Moves
17 Aug 16

Why?

A Christian may describe an act as a sin (theft for example) and an atheist the same act as immoral. (As dictated by their conscience and sense of what is right and wrong). I speak only of sin in this forum as it is the language used by theists. I would extend the same courtesy if I was posting on a Japanese ...[text shortened]... the language in common use.

The notion of "sin" is about the idea of transgressing the will of a supernatural being. The notion of "sin" and the mechanism of how it is supposedly "forgiven" [pre-emptively, no less!] is a Christian cop-out mechanism, as I said earlier on another thread.

Christian notions of "sin" and "forgiveness" are a rhetorical device used for declaring one's own immortality, and have nothing to do with "morality" in real life in the real world.

Christians essentially "forgive" their own "sins" by conjuring up convoluted notions about supernatural things and propagating these notions is a wholly partisan, I'm-alright-Jack pursuit. "Morality", on the other hand, governs actual relationships and actual interactions between all people, regardless of their religious affiliations or lack thereof.

"Sin" and "morality" are entirely different things, even if they may seem, on the surface of it, to overlap in certain ways. To conflate them is a mistake which cannot be passed off as a "courtesy".

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
17 Aug 16

Originally posted by FMF
The notion of "sin" is about the idea of transgressing the will of a supernatural being. The notion of "sin" and the mechanism of how it is supposedly "forgiven" [pre-emptively, no less!] is a Christian cop-out mechanism, as I said earlier on another thread.

Christian notions of "sin" and "forgiveness" are a rhetorical device used for declaring one's own imm ...[text shortened]... erlap in certain ways. To conflate them is a mistake which cannot be passed off as a "courtesy".
Do you believe that people sin?

F

Moves
17 Aug 16
1 edit

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
Do you believe that people sin?
Well I'm not a Christian, if that's what you're getting at. I think when you talk about "sin" you are talking about transgressing against the imagined will of a supernatural being that you are convinced exists. So do I believe people "sin"?

I certainly think lots of Christians, and Muslims and Jews think that they "sin". Do I think that they are actually transgressing a revealed "will" of a supernatural being? No. I don't.

What I do find interesting is the ease with which Christians, for example, arrange to "forgive" themselves of these "transgressions" through carefully thinking a series of groupthink-type thoughts that they have codified and like to talk about.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
17 Aug 16

Originally posted by FMF
Well I'm not a Christian, if that's what you're getting at. I think when you talk about "sin" you are talking about transgressing against the imagined will of a supernatural being that you are convinced exists. So do I believe people "sin"?

I certainly think lots of Christians, and Muslims and Jews [b]think
that they "sin". Do I think that they are actua ...[text shortened]... ly thinking a series of groupthink-type thoughts that they have codified and like to talk about.[/b]
So do you believe in an afterlife of sorts?

F

Moves
17 Aug 16

I believe we have no information that justifies a belief in the existence of an "afterlife " and have instead the demonstrable, scientific fact that when we die we die. There has certainly not been - for me - any credible revelation of any rules, required behaviours, or procedures, handed down to humanity by a deity, that might lead to or offer the possibility immortality.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
17 Aug 16

Originally posted by FMF

I certainly think lots of Christians, and Muslims and Jews [b]think
that they "sin". Do I think that they are actua ...[text shortened]... ly thinking a series of groupthink-type thoughts that they have codified and like to talk about.[/b]
Why don't you tell us about your "God-figure" then, or your "superstitions", then, Mr. "Not-a-Christian-yet-not-an-atheist"?

F

Moves
17 Aug 16

I note that you are ignoring the content my side of the conversation I'm trying to have with you and simply asking little trite questions instead. 😉

F

Moves
17 Aug 16

Originally posted by Suzianne
Why don't you tell us about your "God-figure" then, or your "superstitions", then, Mr. "Not-a-Christian-yet-not-an-atheist"?
I don't think God has revealed Himself to any of us.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
17 Aug 16

Originally posted by FMF
You didn't answer the question, either.

F

Moves
17 Aug 16

Originally posted by Suzianne
You didn't answer the question, either.
But I did answer the question. You asked "Why don't you tell us about your "God-figure" then, or your "superstitions"? And I answered "I don't think God has revealed Himself to any of us."

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
17 Aug 16

Originally posted by FMF
So what's the difference between you and an atheist?