1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Jan '14 02:20
    Originally posted by LemonJello

For my money, I would add in some Charles Bukowski, George Carlin, Sam Harris (his Letter to a Christian Nation would be a rich source for scoff), Woody Allen. There are many more too....

Perhaps I will look some up to add in when I get chance.
    For my money, I would add in some Charles Bukowski, George Carlin, Sam Harris (his Letter to a Christian Nation would be a rich source for scoff), Woody Allen. There are many more too....

* “Religion has convinced people that there's an invisible man ... living in the sky. Who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn't want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer, and suffer, and burn, and scream, until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you. He loves you and he needs money.” -George Carlin

* "I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol was a guy nailed to two pieces of wood. [George Carlin, from the album "A Place For My Stuff"]" -George Carlin

* "We created god in our own image and likeness!" [George Carlin]

* "I credit that eight years of grammar school with nourishing me in a direction where I could trust myself and trust my instincts. They gave me the tools to reject my faith. They taught me to question and think for myself and to believe in my instincts to such an extent that I just said, 'This is a wonderful fairy tale they have going here, but it's not for me.'" [George Carlin, in the _New York Times_ 20 August 1995, pg. 17. He attended Cardinal Hayes High School in the Bronx, but left during his sophomore year in 1952 and never went back to school. Before that he attended a Catholic grammar school, Corpus Christi, which he called an experimental school.]

* "If churches want to play the game of politics, let them pay admission like everyone else." [George Carlin, from the album "What Am I Doing In New Jersey?"] -George Carlin

* "This is a little prayer dedicated to the separation of church and state. I guess if they are going to force those kids to pray in schools they might as well have a nice prayer like this: Our Father who art in heaven, and to the republic for which it stands, thy kingdom come, one nation indivisible as in heaven, give us this day as we forgive those who so proudly we hail. Crown thy good into temptation but deliver us from the twilight's last gleaming. Amen and Awomen." [George Carlin, on Saturday Night Live]

* "I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death." [George Carlin]

* "Religion convinced the world that there's an invisible man in the sky who watches everything you do. And there's 10 things he doesn't want you to do or else you'll go to a burning place with a lake of fire until the end of eternity. But he loves you! ...And he needs money! He's all powerful, but he can't handle money!" [George Carlin, fromalbum "You Are All Diseased" (it can also be found in the book "Napalm and Silly Putty".]

* "The only good thing ever to come out of religion was the music." [George Carlin, Brain Droppings]

* "I've begun worshipping the sun for a number of reasons. First of all, unlike some other gods I could mention, I can see the sun. It's there for me every day. And the things it brings me are quite apparent all the time: heat, light, food, a lovely day. There's no mystery, no one asks for money, I don't have to dress up, and there's no boring pageantry. And interestingly enough, I have found that the prayers I offer to the sun and the prayers I formerly offered to God are all answered at about the same 50-percent rate." [George Carlin, from "You Are All Diseased".]

* "A man came up to me on the street and said I used to be messed up out of my mind on drugs but now I'm messed up out of my mind on Jeeesus Chriiist." [George Carlin]

* "I have as much authority as the pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it." [George Carlin, Brain Droppings]

* "Jesus was a cross dresser." [George Carlin, Brain Droppings]

* "I finally accepted Jesus. not as my personal savior, but as a man I intend to borrow money from." [George Carlin, Brain Droppings]

* "Instead of school busing and prayer in schools, which are both controversial, why not a joint solution? Prayer in buses. Just drive these kids around all day and let them pray their f[deleted] empty little heads off." [George Carlin, Brain Droppings]

* Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck." -George Carlin US comedian and actor (1937 - 2008)

LemonJello, here's a collection of sixteen quotations ascribed to George Carlin. Next time, Sam Harris as you've suggested.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    24 Jan '14 06:372 edits

“In fact, "atheism" is a term that should not even exist. No one ever needs to identify himself as a "non-astrologer" or a "non-alchemist." We do not have words for people who doubt that Elvis is still alive or that aliens have traversed the galaxy only to molest ranchers and their cattle. Atheism is nothing more than the noises reasonable people make in the presence of unjustified religious beliefs.” Sam Harris, Letter to a Christian Nation

“I know of no society in human history that ever suffered because its people became too desirous of evidence in support of their core beliefs.” -Sam Harris, Letter to a Christian Nation

“Consider it: every person you have ever met, every person will suffer the loss of his friends and family. All are going to lose everything they love in this world. Why would one want to be anything but kind to them in the meantime?” -Sam Harris, The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason

“We have a choice. We have two options as human beings. We have a choice between conversation and war. That's it. Conversation and violence. And faith is a conversation stopper.” -Sam Harris

“Tell a devout Christian that his wife is cheating on him, or that frozen yogurt can make a man invisible, and he is likely to require as much evidence as anyone else, and to be persuaded only to the extent that you give it. Tell him that the book he keeps by his bed was written by an invisible deity who will punish him with fire for eternity if he fails to accept its every incredible claim about the universe, and he seems to require no evidence what so ever.” Sam Harris “Theology is ignorance with wings.”

“It is merely an accident of history that it is considered normal in our society to believe that the Creator of the universe can hear your thoughts while it is demonstrative of mental illness to believe that he is communicating with you by having the rain tap in Morse code on your bedroom window.” -Sam Harris, The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason

“It is time that we admitted that faith is nothing more than the license religious people give one another to keep believing when reasons fail.” -Sam Harris

“It is merely an accident of history that it is considered normal in our society to believe that the Creator of the universe can hear your thoughts while it is demonstrative of mental illness to believe that he is communicating with you by having the rain tap in Morse code on your bedroom window.” -Sam Harris, The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason

“It is time that we admitted that faith is nothing more than the license religious people give one another to keep believing when reasons fail.” -Sam Harris, Letter to a Christian Nation

Note: LemonJello, this thread now contains quotes from Charles Bukowski, George Carlin, Sam Harris and Woody Allen.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    24 Jan '14 06:42
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "I've begun worshipping the sun for a number of reasons. First of all, unlike some other gods I could mention, I can see the sun. It's there for me every day. And the things it brings me are quite apparent all the time: heat, light, food, a lovely day. There's no mystery, no one asks for money, I don't have to dress up, and there's no boring pageantry. ...[text shortened]... l answered at about the same 50-percent rate." [George Carlin, from "You Are All Diseased".]

A decent quote from you at last.

😀
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    24 Jan '14 06:51
    Originally posted by wolfgang59

😀
    Originally posted by wolfgang59

😀

* "I've begun worshipping the sun for a number of reasons. First of all, unlike some other gods I could mention, I can see the sun. It's there for me every day. And the things it brings me are quite apparent all the time: heat, light, food, a lovely day. There's no mystery, no one asks for money, I don't have to dress up, and there's no boring pageantry. And interestingly enough, I have found that the prayers I offer to the sun and the prayers I formerly offered to God are all answered at about the same 50-percent rate." [George Carlin, from "You Are All Diseased".]

Glad wolfgang59's enjoying quotes from LemonJello's suggested list of authors. Maybe you could add a few of your favs.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree