1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    14 Jan '14 21:011 edit
    "Famous Quotes by Atheists & Scoffers" "Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools." (Romans 1:22)

1) "Christianity is such a silly religion." -Gore Vidal

"The Bible says: The damned think that the preaching of the cross of the Lord Jesus Christ is foolishness. 1 Corinthians 1:18 "For the preaching of the cross is TO THEM THAT PERISH foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God."

2) "The inspiration of the Bible depends upon the ignorance of the gentleman who reads it." -Robert Ingersoll

"The Bible says: The unregenerate man thinks that the things of God, including His word, are foolishess. He can't even begin understand them with his old dead spirit." 1 Corinthians 2:14 "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned."

3) "...It would be more consistent that we call [the Bible] the work of a demon than the word of God. It is a history of wickedness that has served to corrupt and brutalize mankind." -Thomas Paine

The Bible says: The wicked call evil good and good evil. Isaiah 5:20 "Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!"

4) "Christians are losers." -Ted Turner

The Bible says: The unregenerate man thinks Christians are crazy because they don't do the same wicked stuff he does and they don't hold the same wicked opinions he does. I Peter 4:3-4, "For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries: Wherein they think it strange that ye run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you."

5) "If we would destroy the Christian religion, we must first of all destroy man's belief in the Bible." -Voltaire

The Bible says: The Bible will remain forever. The words of some sinner man will never negate what God has said. Matthew 24:35 "Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words SHALL NOT pass away."

Conclusion of the Matter

"If you are a scoffer or an atheist, you have NOT defeated the word of God with your big words and ideas, you have condemned yourself! Repent while you have hope or you will perish. When you die, it will be everlasting too late. The wrath of God is hanging over your head like a storm cloud. It's there when you lay down, when you wake up, when you are working, having lunch with friends, going on a trip--everywhere you go, that wrath goes with you." (Psalm 7:11)

John 3:36 "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him."

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Atheism/famous_quotes_by_atheists.htm

6) ______ ?
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    15 Jan '14 00:34
    Needs Mark Twain quotes. And Bill Maher. And Christopher Hitchens. Etc. Etc.

I'd get them but then we might lose your unique insight on each one. So, *chop chop*.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    15 Jan '14 00:53
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby

"The Bible says:
    No bible quotes that support atheism?

Not very impartial is it?
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    15 Jan '14 01:093 edits
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    No bible quotes that support atheism?

Not very impartial is it?
    Since these five accomplished men were as much in the atheist camp as you are now and seized opportunity to espouse their atheistic point of view... there would seem to be a kindred spirit shared frame of reference, biographical rapport and simpatico. Fact that they changed their minds would also seem to of interest to an objective thinker such as yourself.

Edit Correction: My error in mistaking this list with the listing on page 15 of "Did Laidlaw, Broun, Stoppard, Chesterton...?" Thread 156490 "Famous Ex-Atheists/Agnostics"
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    15 Jan '14 01:17
    Since these five accomplished men were as much in the atheist camp as you are now and seized opportunity to espouse their atheistic point of view... there would seem to be a kindred spirit shared frame of reference, biographical rapport and simpatico. Fact that they changed their minds would also seem to of interest to an objective thinker such as yourself.
    I don't know about the others, but Ingersoll never changed his mind.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    15 Jan '14 01:18
    Originally posted by SwissGambit

I'd get them but then we might lose your unique insight on each one. So, *chop chop*.
    "Great Minds Quotes: Samuel Clemens /Mark Twain [1835-1910] American author and humorist

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true."

"'In God We Trust.' I don't believe it would sound any better if it were true."

"It ain't the parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand."

"Religion consists in a set of things which the average man thinks he believes and wishes he was certain of."

"There is no other life; life itself is only a vision and a dream for nothing exists but space and you. If there was an all-powerful God, he would have made all good, and no bad." Mark Twain in Eruption

"Our Bible reveals to us the character of our god with minute and remorseless exactness. It is perhaps the most damnatory biography that exists in print anywhere. It makes Nero an angel of light and leading by contrast" Reflections on Religion

"O Lord our God, help us tear their soldiers to bloody shreds with our shells; help us to cover their smiling fields with the pale forms of their patriot dead; help us to drown the thunder of the guns with the shrieks of their wounded, writhing in pain; help us to lay waste their humble homes with a hurricane of fire; help us to wring the hearts of their unoffending widows with unavailing grief; help us to turn them out roofless with their little children to wander unfriended the wastes of their desolated land in rags and hunger and thirst, sports of the sun flames of summer and the icy winds of winter, broken in spirit, worn with travail, imploring Thee for the refuge of the grave and denied it..." "The War Prayer"

"[The Bible is] a mass of fables and traditions, mere mythology." Mark Twain and the Bible

"Man is a marvelous curiosity ... he thinks he is the Creator's pet ... he even believes the Creator loves him; has a passion for him; sits up nights to admire him; yes and watch over him and keep him out of trouble. He prays to him and thinks He listens. Isn't it a quaint idea." Letters from the Earth

"If there is a God, he is a malign thug."

"Mr. Clemens was once asked whether he feared death. He said that he did not, in view of the fact that he had been dead for billions and billions of years before he was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."

"[The Bible] has noble poetry in it... and some good morals and a wealth of obscenity, and upwards of a thousand lies."

"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing." Autobiography of Mark Twain by Samuel Clemens http://atheistempire.com/greatminds/quotes.php?author=8
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    15 Jan '14 01:21
    Paine was not an atheist, although he was very critical of religion. From 'The Age of Reason':

I believe in one God, and no more; and I hope for happiness beyond this life.

I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of. My own mind is my own church.

All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit.
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    15 Jan '14 01:38
    I don't think you know what you're talking about. With the possible exception of Ted Turner, none of those people changed their mind. And nobody cares about Turner.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    15 Jan '14 01:442 edits
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I don't know about the others, but Ingersoll never changed his mind.
    rwingett, thanks again for preserving the format integrity of this thread: all of these men remained "atheists or scoffers".

"Robert Ingersoll, noted lecturer and avowed anti-Christian on his deathbed said: “Life is the cold and barren value between two eternal peaks. I strive in vain to see beyond the distant height. I cry out and the only answer I hear, is the echo of my empty wail.” www.pdegraaf.com/articles/last_words.pdf‎
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    15 Jan '14 01:493 edits
    I don't think you know what you're talking about. With the possible exception of Ted Turner, none of those people changed their mind. And nobody cares about Turner.
    Please note the correction. Thread's intent is to present "Famous Quotes by Atheists & Scoffers". My error was in mistaking this list with the listing on page 15 of "Did Laidlaw, Broun, Stoppard, Chesterton...?"
    Thread 156490 "Famous Ex-Atheists/Agnostics"
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    15 Jan '14 02:024 edits

"Bill Maher: I’m Not An Atheist … I Do Believe In God" Posted on October 18th, 2009 by DailyAtheist

"We can probably all agree that Bill Maher a smart, funny guy. I was at the world premier of Religulous at the Toronto Film Festival and I’ve been to his stand up comedy show. He’s done a lot to increase awareness of the pitfalls of religion. This year the Atheist Alliance International’s has decided to give him the 2009 Dawkins Award:

The Richard Dawkins Award will be given every year to honor an outstanding atheist whose contributions raise public awareness of the nontheist life stance; who through writings, media, the arts, film, and/or the stage advocates increased scientific knowledge; who through work or by example teaches acceptance of the nontheist philosophy; and whose public posture mirrors the uncompromising nontheist life stance of Dr. Richard Dawkins. (via Wikipedia)

However, awarding Bill this award is a bit puzzling. This may come as a surprise to many, but Bill Maher is not an Atheist! He’s is anti-religion and anti-establishment. And, as we saw in his last Real-Time with Bill Maher on HBO, he’s anti-western medicine and anti-vaccine! Bill is in the entertainment business, not the science business.

Interview with Stephen Thompson, The Onion, Oct 9, 2002: The Onion: Is there a God?

Bill Maher: I think there is. We did a show last night about God and religion with Dave Foley, who I love, and we were arguing against this one woman who had a book called I Like Being Catholic. Someone said, “Oh, boy, a lot of atheists on this panel.” I said, “I’m not an atheist. There’s a really big difference between an atheist and someone who just doesn’t believe in religion. Religion to me is a bureaucracy between man and God that I don’t need. But I’m not an atheist, no.”

I believe there’s some force. If you want to call it God… I don’t believe God is a single parent who writes books. I think that the people who think God wrote a book called The Bible are just childish. Religion is so childish. What they’re fighting about in the Middle East, it’s so childish. These myths, these silly little stories that they believe in fundamentally, that they take over this little space in Jerusalem where one guy flew up to heaven—no, no, this guy performed a sacrifice here a thousand million years ago. It’s like, “Who cares? What does that have to do with spirituality, where you’re really trying to get, as a human being and as a soul moving in the universe?” But I do believe in a God, yes.

Interview with TimesOnline on April 1, 2009: “I’m not an atheist, though, because the belief that there is no God only mirrors the certitude of religion. No, I’m saying that doubt is the only appropriate response for human beings.” http://www.dailyatheist.net/?p=969

Note: SwissGambit, tomorrow I'll search for Bill Maher Quotes which reflect the atheist points of view you had in mind.
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    15 Jan '14 02:26
    [b]"Bill Maher: I’m Not An Atheist … I Do Believe In God" Posted on October 18th, 2009 by DailyAtheist

"We can probably all agree that Bill Maher a smart, funny guy. I was at the world premier of Religulous at the Toronto Film Festival and I’ve been to his stand up comedy show. He’s done a lot to increase awareness of the pitfalls of religion. ...[text shortened]... rrow I'll search for Bill Maher Quotes which reflect the atheist points of view you had in mind.[/b]
    Sorry, but Maher is an atheist, those quotes notwithstanding. He may have preferred to use the less controversial term "agnostic" in the past, but he's an atheist.

http://www.celebatheists.com/wiki/Bill_Maher
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    15 Jan '14 02:373 edits
    Sorry, but Maher is an atheist, those quotes notwithstanding. He may have preferred to use the less controversial term "agnostic" in the past, but he's an atheist.

Sorry, but Maher is an atheist, those quotes notwithstanding. He may have preferred to use the less controversial term "agnostic" in the past, but he's an atheist.*

"Bill Maher"
    "William "Bill" Maher, Jr. born January 20, 1956 is an American stand-up comedian, television host, social and political commentator, and author. Before his current role as the host of HBO's Real Time with Bill Maher, Maher hosted a similar late-night talk show called Politically Incorrect on Comedy Central and later on ABC. Maher is known for his political satire and sociopolitical commentary. His commentaries target a wide swath of topics: religion, politics, bureaucracies of many kinds, political correctness, the mass media, greed among people and persons in positions of high political and social power, among many others. He supports the legalization of marijuana and gay marriage and serves on the board of PETA. He is also a critic of religion and is an advisory board member of The Reason Project. Maher is number 38 on Comedy Central's 100 greatest stand-ups of all time."

"NOVEMBER 2009 ON IMUS - MAHER REFERS TO HIMSELF AS AN ATHEIST

November 1, 2009 on Imus "Neither me nor my girl believe in God or marriage, so there's not gonna be a big church wedding... I always say I don't know. Even Richard Dawkins a man whose name has become synonymous with atheism says he puts a scale of 1 to 7, 1 being absolute certain there is a god and 7 being absolutely certain there isn't, and he says even he's a 6.9. Because no one knows for sure what's out there. He says yes there could be a god and there could be a spaghetti monster out there, but it doesn't look like it. To me it was always great fodder for comedy. There isn't a week that goes by that there isn't something hysterically funny if it's not tragic, having to do with religion. My recent favorite example was at the Michael Jackson Memorial Stevie Wonder said 'we needed Michael but God needed him more.' And I thought really God needs people, God needs singers, God is up there saying 'Jesus, nothing on, get that Michael Jackson up here.'

Imus then asks if Hitchens is a 7. Bill Maher responds "he may be, I think we're just talking semantics at some point, we are all atheists (referring to Dawkins, Hitchens, and himself), which means we don't believe in a deity, we don't believe in a magic spaceman, and we think people that do, have a neurological disorder and they need help."

And on religion in general he said "When I hear from people that religion doesn't hurt anything, I say really? Well besides wars, the crusades, the inquisitions, 9-11, ethnic cleansing, the suppression of women, the suppression of homosexuals, fatwas, honor killings, suicide bombings, arranged marriages to minors, human sacrifice, burning witches, and systematic sex with children, I have a few little quibbles. And I forgot blowing up girl schools in Afghanistan."

* Thank you, rwingett. Maher certainly appears conflicted from these limited windows on his views.
    Maybe a definitive site link will resolve the question and eliminate any doubt.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Jan '14 02:50

Are they all comedians?
  15. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    15 Jan '14 02:54
    3) "...It would be more consistent that we call [the Bible] the work of a demon than the word of God. It is a history of wickedness that has served to corrupt and brutalize mankind." -Thomas Paine
    Thomas Paine was a great American who had a great deal of commonsense. This quote among them. 😏

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree