1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 Apr '12 16:502 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The implication is if a well known genius believes in god, god must be real?

It doesn't matter if all 7 BILLION of us believe in god, that won't make it real.

If your god comes down, speaks to everyone on the planet at once, I would believe. Other than that, if a human tells me there is a god, I automatically disregard it. If your god wants to speak t ...[text shortened]... ted to train fleas, I might want a few dozen or so but if I had to deal with 800 billion......
    What makes God real is the real heavens and the Earth with its sun and moon
    and billions of living creatures that He has created to be seen by us. HalleluYah !!!

P.S. God is picking out only the best of His creation to be with Him and it
    appears to me that you are not one of them.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 Apr '12 16:57
    Originally posted by Penguin
    I think what we can conclude from it is that as time goes on, fewer and fewer intelligent, educated and thoughtful people believe in a personal God.

The fact that you choose to trumpet the existence of the minority who still do have such a belief reveals your insecurity and need for external justification.

--- Penguin.
    I think it proves the theory of evolution is crap. HalleluYah !!! 😏
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    05 Apr '12 17:141 edit
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    God is not ONLY up there and there is no need for God to" come down " to talk to humans. God permeates everything and everyone, including sonhouse. Sonhouse, please do take time to appreciate this world as it is, set aside your scientific principles for a few moments and surrender your ego for a moment or two and you will realize that God is there, God is right within you and the entire universe.
    What I hear SH saying is that there is no evidence of the existence of God. In what way do you see this position as being a product of ego? If anything, the insistence of the existence of God without evidence seems to point to ego: The individual has anxiety/fear of the unknown and his ego constructs the notion of God and all that goes with it, in order to alleviate it. The individual then defends his notion of God in order to protect that which alleviates his anxiety/fear.
  4. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    05 Apr '12 17:17
    God is not ONLY up there and there is no need for God to" come down " to talk to humans. God permeates everything and everyone, including sonhouse. Sonhouse, please do take time to appreciate this world as it is, set aside your scientific principles for a few moments and surrender your ego for a moment or two and you will realize that God is there, God is right within you and the entire universe.
    prove it.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Apr '12 17:19
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    prove it.
    you prove that he isn't.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 Apr '12 17:24
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    What I hear SH saying is that there is no evidence of the existence of God. In what way do you see this position as being a product of ego? If anything, the insistence of the existence of God without evidence seems to point to ego: The individual has anxiety/fear of the unknown and his ego constructs the notion of God and all that goes with it, in order t ...[text shortened]... idual then defends his notion of God in order to protect that which alleviates his anxiety/fear.
    What is wrong with alleviating anxiety and fear?
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 Apr '12 17:27
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    prove it.
    I think God has already proved it by His creation and we are the best proof of all
    for we are made physically in the spiritual image of God.
  8. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    05 Apr '12 17:35
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I think God has already proved it by His creation and we are the best proof of all
    prove it
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    05 Apr '12 17:36
    What is wrong with alleviating anxiety and fear?
    Nothing in and of itself. However there are issues involved with the alleviation of anxiety and fear via self-delusion.
  10. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    05 Apr '12 17:422 edits
    Originally posted by tim88
    Surely not?

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/sciencefaith.html
    http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/sciencefaith.html
    “...The Encyclopedia Britannica says of him: "Firmly denying atheism, Einstein expressed a belief in "Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of what exists." ...”

When Einstein talked about “God”, he was not talking about a supernatural god but of “everything”. And what he meant by “God” is clearly completely different by what you and creationists would mean by “God” -he never believed in the existence of a supernatural 'God' or any 'gods'. In fact, although he didn't like the label of “atheist” and hated being called an atheist, I would say if most creationists understood what he was saying then most would call him an atheist or, at the very least, say his views were closer to that of a typical atheist than that of a typical theist.

Also:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/17/science/17einsteinw.html
    “...A letter the physicist wrote in 1954 to the philosopher Eric Gutkind, in which he described the Bible as “pretty childish” and scoffed at the notion that the Jews could be a “chosen people,” ...”

also:

http://www.ehow.com/info_8115822_studies-iq.html
    “...Studies about IQ have come to the conclusion that religious people are less intelligent than atheists. According to a 1986 article in Free Inquiry magazine, "Studies have consistently found that the lower the IQ score, the more likely a person is to be religious....
    ….

Scientific American published in 1999 a study that claimed 72 percent of scientists with a high IQ didn't believe in God. The research claimed Christians were intellectually inferior to atheists. Twenty-one percent of the scientists were agnostic, and 7 percent said they believe there is a God or an afterlife. Forty percent of B.S.-degree scientists believed in God, and 10 percent of highly regarded scientists believed. The same study stated that 90 percent of Americans believe in God. Skeptic magazine published an article in the same year that claimed 40 percent of mathematicians, 30 percent of biologists and 20 percent of physicists believe in God. ….”

-well, I guess that destroys what little religious propaganda value this thread may have had.
  11. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    05 Apr '12 17:47
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    you prove that he isn't.
    i said it first! 😠
  12. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    05 Apr '12 17:48
    no he didnt.
  13. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    05 Apr '12 17:481 edit
    “...set aside your scientific principles for a few moments ...”

you are asking him to be stupid for a few moments.
    What do you think are the chances of him doing this?
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Apr '12 18:23
    Originally posted by tim88
    “Whatever You Want”
    I don't believe you. I think you wanted to make a point, but are not willing to be specific about what your point is, because you fear that you will look like a fool when your point gets discredited.
  15. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    05 Apr '12 18:332 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I don't believe you. I think you wanted to make a point, but are not willing to be specific about what your point is, because you fear that you will look like a fool when your point gets discredited.
    That is what I also suspected of him.
    I think I have discredited any implied point he may have secretly wished to make with my main posting on this page where I gave the link:

http://www.ehow.com/info_8115822_studies-iq.html
    “...Studies about IQ have come to the conclusion that religious people are less intelligent than atheists. According to a 1986 article in Free Inquiry magazine, "Studies have consistently found that the lower the IQ score, the more likely a person is to be religious....
    ….

Scientific American published in 1999 a study that claimed 72 percent of scientists with a high IQ didn't believe in God. The research claimed Christians were intellectually inferior to atheists. Twenty-one percent of the scientists were agnostic, and 7 percent said they believe there is a God or an afterlife. Forty percent of B.S.-degree scientists believed in God, and 10 percent of highly regarded scientists believed. The same study stated that 90 percent of Americans believe in God. Skeptic magazine published an article in the same year that claimed 40 percent of mathematicians, 30 percent of biologists and 20 percent of physicists believe in God. ….”

I particularly like the “Studies have consistently found that the lower the IQ score, the more likely a person is to be religious” part -not that it shows any surprises, but still nice to have what is obvious confirmed. I wonder why religious people generally have lower IQ ? 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree