Famous Scientists Who Believed in God

Famous Scientists Who Believed in God

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

t

Moves
05 Apr 12

Surely not?

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/sciencefaith.html

rc

Moves
05 Apr 12

Originally posted by tim88
Surely not?

Newton is an excellent example.

t

Moves
05 Apr 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Newton is an excellent example.
Yes Indeed! thanks for pointing the out

In optics, mechanics, and mathematics, Newton was a figure of undisputed genius and innovation. In all his science (including chemistry) he saw mathematics and numbers as central. What is less well known is that he was devoutly religious and saw numbers as involved in understanding God's plan for history from the Bible. He did a considerable work on biblical numerology, and, though aspects of his beliefs were not orthodox, he thought theology was very important. In his system of physics, God was essential to the nature and absoluteness of space. In Principia he stated, "The most beautiful system of the sun, planets, and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being."

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
05 Apr 12

Yes Indeed! thanks for pointing the out

In optics, mechanics, and mathematics, Newton was a figure of undisputed genius and innovation. In all his science (including chemistry) he saw mathematics and numbers as central. What is less well known is that he was devoutly religious and saw numbers as involved in understanding God's plan for history from the Bi ...[text shortened]... mets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being."
I wonder how much more he would have figured out if he hadn't wasted all that time with pointless biblical numeration and such?

Back in his day, the church was just beginning to lose its grip but still very powerful, even the English Church. You were thoroughly brainwashed by the time you were 6 or 7.

P

Moves
05 Apr 12
1 edit

Originally posted by sonhouse
I wonder how much more he would have figured out if he hadn't wasted all that time with pointless biblical numeration and such?

Back in his day, the church was just beginning to lose its grip but still very powerful, even the English Church. You were thoroughly brainwashed by the time you were 6 or 7.
He was also a firm believer in Alchemy.

http://www.newtonproject.sussex.ac.uk/prism.php?id=46

One wonders whether we would have even more superb maths if he had not wasted time on alchemy and religion, or whether these diversions somehow helped him in his more useful work?

When assessing a historical piece of science, I think you have to consider how long it stands up to scrutiny by itself, not by comparison with other studies by the same or contemporary scientists. Newtons laws of motion and his invention of Calculus (and the cat-flap) are all still in use today all around the world because they work, not because of who invented them. His alchemy and religious numerology work is not still in use, in spite of who invented them and simply because they don't work.

As has been pointed out, you would be very hard-pressed not to be religious back then.

--- Penguin.

t

Moves
05 Apr 12
1 edit

you will find an excuses for everything? that's just your ego talking! you do know that don't you?

Cape Town

Moves
05 Apr 12

Surely not?

And what, if any, conclusions would you like us to draw from that?

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
05 Apr 12

Originally posted by Penguin
He was also a firm believer in Alchemy.

http://www.newtonproject.sussex.ac.uk/prism.php?id=46

One wonders whether we would have even more superb maths if he had not wasted time on alchemy and religion, or whether these diversions somehow helped him in his more useful work?

When assessing a historical piece of science, I think you have to consider h ...[text shortened]... inted out, you would be very hard-pressed [b]not
to be religious back then.

--- Penguin.[/b]
As has been pointed out, you would be very hard-pressed not to be religious back then.

Exactly. You would probably have been killed if you weren't religious.

t

Moves
05 Apr 12
1 edit

Originally posted by Proper Knob
[b]As has been pointed out, you would be very hard-pressed not to be religious back then.

Exactly. You would probably have been killed if you weren't religious.[/b]
there is many from this century ("Google is your friend"😉

t

Moves
05 Apr 12

Originally posted by twhitehead
And what, if any, conclusions would you like us to draw from that?
“Whatever You Want”

P

Moves
05 Apr 12

there is many from this century ("Google is your friend"😉
I started a thread a while ago under the title "A Religious Scientist":

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=77215&page=1

This was prompted by an interview with Francis Collins, head of the Human Genome Project and one of the people on you list following an interview with him that I had heard:

http://www.pointofinquiry.org/?p=125

Interview starts about 1:30 into the podcast and lasts about 30 minutes.

I think the gist of my position is that we are all human and are all susceptible to strange beliefs, even smart people. But smart people are also able to bring up 'smart' justifications for beliefs that they actually arrived at for 'dumb' reasons.

--- Penguin.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
05 Apr 12

you will find an excuses for everything? that's just your ego talking! you do know that don't you?
The implication is if a well known genius believes in god, god must be real?

It doesn't matter if all 7 BILLION of us believe in god, that won't make it real.

If your god comes down, speaks to everyone on the planet at once, I would believe. Other than that, if a human tells me there is a god, I automatically disregard it. If your god wants to speak to me, and everyone else at the same time, fine. There would be no denying there is a god, otherwise, its all wishful, actually desperate wishful thinking.

Like a god would think so highly of mankind it would want hundreds of billions of us in its heaven. What a load of crap. If I wanted to train fleas, I might want a few dozen or so but if I had to deal with 800 billion......

P

Moves
05 Apr 12

“Whatever You Want”
I think what we can conclude from it is that as time goes on, fewer and fewer intelligent, educated and thoughtful people believe in a personal God.

The fact that you choose to trumpet the existence of the minority who still do have such a belief reveals your insecurity and need for external justification.

--- Penguin.

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
05 Apr 12

The implication is if a well known genius believes in god, god must be real?

It doesn't matter if all 7 BILLION of us believe in god, that won't make it real.

If your god comes down, speaks to everyone on the planet at once, I would believe. Other than that, if a human tells me there is a god, I automatically disregard it. If your god wants to speak t ...[text shortened]... ted to train fleas, I might want a few dozen or so but if I had to deal with 800 billion......
God is not ONLY up there and there is no need for God to" come down " to talk to humans. God permeates everything and everyone, including sonhouse. Sonhouse, please do take time to appreciate this world as it is, set aside your scientific principles for a few moments and surrender your ego for a moment or two and you will realize that God is there, God is right within you and the entire universe.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
05 Apr 12

My guess is that we would never have heard of him if he had not honored God.