1. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    08 Jul '14 13:47
    For the rest of the day today, I will spend my time in as much stillness, fasting, and prayer.

I am wondering about the traditions and practice of others and their experiences with fasting. Any sharing of thoughts and experiences are received in gratitude.

Namaste

Hakima
  2. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    08 Jul '14 13:54
    I would add that the purpose of my particular fast today is in response to the event of a very risky operation for one of my neighbors. I invite those who feel the way open to join my prayers, in whatever form that takes.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    09 Jul '14 22:39
    Originally posted by hakima
    I would add that the purpose of my particular fast today is in response to the event of a very risky operation for one of my neighbors. I invite those who feel the way open to join my prayers, in whatever form that takes.
    I don't fast, I just eat when I'm hungry, which is not usually until midday, and on some days, not all day.

Fasting and 'waiting' (meditation) is/was a much practiced discipline in Hindu and Buddhist aspirants
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    09 Jul '14 22:55
    I normally try to give up alcohol for Lent, not with complete success it has to be said.
  5. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    10 Jul '14 15:05
    karoly and DeepThought, thank you for your responses. My fast began and ended with prayer. I also "fasted" from as much social media as I possibly could and limited my moves here on this site to just before I began and just after I ended my fast. I spent the day meditating and reading...also moving around my house taking care of routine tasks but no new or extended projects. I felt fairly focused and didn't feel hungry. I did keep myself hydrated with water throughout the day.

My neighbor came through his surgery well. I am definitely NOT attributing that in any way to my fast. For me, the purpose of the fast was to "stay with" him and his family throughout the day.
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    10 Jul '14 21:47
    karoly and DeepThought, thank you for your responses. My fast began and ended with prayer. I also "fasted" from as much social media as I possibly could and limited my moves here on this site to just before I began and just after I ended my fast. I spent the day meditating and reading...also moving around my house taking care of routine tasks but no new or ex ...[text shortened]... fast. For me, the purpose of the fast was to "stay with" him and his family throughout the day.
    As long as you don't end up with a dualistic way of thinking ( fasting - not fasting).
    But I guess that's the aim of sound practice.
    Namaste
  7. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    10 Jul '14 21:52
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    As long as you don't end up with a dualistic way of thinking ( fasting - not fasting).
    But I guess that's the aim of sound practice.
    Namaste
    Agreed!

Hazrat Inayat Khan said, "Renounce everything. And when you have renounced everything, renounce your renunciation."

Balance is essential for my personal practice.

Namaste
  8. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    10 Jul '14 21:56
    There are those who might aver that I did my fast "wrong" because I drank water or because I didn't do it long enough or because I didn't sit in meditation the entire time.

For me, focus and presence was the primary goal of the practice. IMO mindful practice is more important than perfect practice.
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    10 Jul '14 23:45
    karoly and DeepThought, thank you for your responses. My fast began and ended with prayer. I also "fasted" from as much social media as I possibly could and limited my moves here on this site to just before I began and just after I ended my fast. I spent the day meditating and reading...also moving around my house taking care of routine tasks but no new or ex ...[text shortened]... fast. For me, the purpose of the fast was to "stay with" him and his family throughout the day.
    I'm glad your fast went well. I think drinking water is sensible, becoming dehydrated is potentially dangerous, and inviting danger is cannot possibly be the point. I'm glad to hear your neighbour's surgery went well.
  10. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 02:231 edit
    I have a friend of mine that had a beautiful gift of fasting. But he began listening to the devil's voice and doubted its use. He never saw the results of the fasting God asked him to do. He hasn't fasted for years now. But i remember an Angel telling me how perfect his prayers were.

I will pray for you, that your fasting will be perfect before God, and i will pray for your neighbor too.

Hmmm, well i see my comments are a bit late, i will pray none the less. Time and space have no meaning to God.
  11. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 03:02
    Originally posted by Pudgenik
    I have a friend of mine that had a beautiful gift of fasting. But he began listening to the devil's voice and doubted its use. He never saw the results of the fasting God asked him to do. He hasn't fasted for years now. But i remember an Angel telling me how perfect his prayers were.

I will pray for you, that your fasting will be perfect before God, and ...[text shortened]... ee my comments are a bit late, i will pray none the less. Time and space have no meaning to God.
    Thank you for your prayers, my friend. They were felt before they were known or uttered.

It is a wondrous thing to realize the effects of prayer and it thrills me to witness how it works in the most "unlikeliest" of places.

Namaste and Countless Blessings!

Hakima
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 05:471 edit
    For the rest of the day today, I will spend my time in as much stillness, fasting, and prayer.

I am wondering about the traditions and practice of others and their experiences with fasting. Any sharing of thoughts and experiences are received in gratitude.

Namaste

Hakima
    I believe fasting can be dangerous, especially for older people when done for too long. One shoukd be in good physical condition and consult their medical physcian for advice, before long fasting. At my age, 70, I only fast before certain blood tests ordered by my doctor.
  13. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 15:011 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I normally try to give up alcohol for Lent, not with complete success it has to be said.
    Did you know that when you fast during lent you don't have to fast on Sundays! That would make about 43 days if you did. And if someone offers you what your fasting from you have to accept it because of their gift of Hospitality. You can google that.
  14. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    13 Jul '14 07:45
    Hazrat Inayat Khan said, "Renounce everything. And when you have renounced everything, renounce your renunciation."

Balance is essential for my personal practice.

Namaste
    Beautifully said and very profound.

Peace be with you, my sister!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree