Fasting

Fasting

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
14 Aug 07

Greetings folks. 🙂

Just wondered if any of you have ever fasted before? I have decided i'd like to do one next week (probably for 3-4 days at first just to get an idea what's going on). Any advice, do's-dont's would be most appreciated. 🙂

Cheers
James.

JJ

Moves
14 Aug 07

Originally posted by Marinkatomb
Greetings folks. 🙂

Just wondered if any of you have ever fasted before? I have decided i'd like to do one next week (probably for 3-4 days at first just to get an idea what's going on). Any advice, do's-dont's would be most appreciated. 🙂

Cheers
James.
I found a glass of water only at meal times helps!!!

Pimp!

Gangster Land

Moves
14 Aug 07

Greetings folks. 🙂

Cheers
James.
Spiritual fast, cleansing fast or both?

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
14 Aug 07

Originally posted by TheSkipper
Spiritual fast, cleansing fast or both?
A bit of both really. I want to give my digestive system a break and a little time to repair itself. I hear that your body stores toxins in your fat which are released into the blood stream after two or three days, which improves your over all health. I also want to experience what it is to go without. Being a spoilt westerner i've never really experienced true hunger, i want to take it on as a lesson. Have you fasted before? If so which method did you use?

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
14 Aug 07

Greetings folks. 🙂

Cheers
James.
I have fasted before.
Fasting is suppose to be a time in prayer and a time spent drawing closer to God in prayer and in spirit with Him.
I would suggest only fasting a day at first if your talking about fasting food. But that's really up to you.
The Hebrews always fasted from sundown one day to sundown the next day.
It does help alot in getting closer to God if you do it right.
You also can fast several different things that you think might be drawing you apart from God. Chess, tv, bars, etc, etc,
But fasting food always seemed to work the best with me. It kept reminding me what I was fasting for, and reminded me to keep drawing closer to God instead of myself, and my other own desires.
When I fast something other than food, After about a hour or two I always ended up replacing what I was fasting with something else other than what I was fasting, if you know what I mean. The flesh is weak.
Fasting also helps you to draw on God's power and not your own to over come your fleshy desires.

Im not the greatest with words or in explaining things sometimes but I hope this helps you some.

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
14 Aug 07
1 edit

Originally posted by KingDavid403
I have fasted before.
Fasting is suppose to be a time in prayer and a time spent drawing closer to God in prayer and in spirit with Him.
I would suggest only fasting a day at first if your talking about fasting food. But that's really up to you.
The Hebrews always fasted from sundown one day to sundown the next day.
It does help alot in getti not the greatest with words or in explaining things sometimes but I hope this helps you some.
I was planning to fast food. I have done a little looking into it and water fasting seems to appeal most. I take your point about 1 day fasts, but to be honest i often go a day without eating, that doesn't really present too much of a challenge.

My main concerns are learning about how i should prepare for a fast, ie what diet i should eat. Also, how should i break a fast? I've heard things like "don't break a fast with orange juice", etc... I was wondering if anyone had any advice in this regard? Also smoking is a concern. As a smoker i'm a little worried whether this counts? I have experienced stomach aches previously from smoking on an empty stomach, however quiting smoking AND food at the same time seems to me to be asking for trouble.

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
14 Aug 07
1 edit

I was planning to fast food. I have done a little looking into it and water fasting seems to appeal most. I take your point about 1 day fasts, but to be honest i often go a day without eating, that doesn't really present too much of a challenge.

My main concerns are learning about how i should prepair for a fast, ie what diet i should eat. Also, how s h, however quiting smoking AND food at the same time seems to me to be asking for trouble.
I would suggest just fasting with drinking lots of water.
I smoke also. And when I got stomach pains I drank some milk. That usually helped.
I use to go days without eating and it was no problem at all, lol, In fact I never thought of eating. I would just keep powdering my nose in the bathrooms if you know what I mean. But I don't powder my nose anymore.
I would suggest breaking your fast by taking it a little slow. Drinking milk would help me. It eased my stomach and coated it also. I wouldn't drink milk and then orange juice thow.

Cape Town

Moves
14 Aug 07

A bit of both really. I want to give my digestive system a break and a little time to repair itself. I hear that your body stores toxins in your fat which are released into the blood stream after two or three days, which improves your over all health. I also want to experience what it is to go without. Being a spoilt westerner i've never really experienc ...[text shortened]... nger, i want to take it on as a lesson. Have you fasted before? If so which method did you use?
The whole 'toxins in the fat' story is mostly nonsense. If you want to do your body some good then just switch to a healthy diet. A once off fasting will probably not improve your health and may not even reduce your weight as you will probably just binge afterwards. Not eating for a few days will probably do your digestive system (and other organs) more harm than good.
A bit of self sacrifice is probably good for your character as it helps to keep you disciplined.
Going without food for a few days doesn't even come close to the 3rd world experience. The psychological pain of believing that you have not much hope for a future is far worse than a bit of hunger now and then though that might not be the case for the truly starving. I have known many people who don't believe they will ever own a car for example (and are probably right).

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
14 Aug 07

I smoke also. And when I got stomach pains I drank some milk. That usually helped.
I use to go days without eating and it was no problem at all, lol, In fact I never thought of eating. I would just keep powdering my nose in the bathrooms if you know what I mean. But I don't powder my ...[text shortened]... e. It eased my stomach and coated it also. I wouldn't drink milk and then orange juice thow.
Hehe, it's not uncommon. 😉

Any suggestions for diet before and after?

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
14 Aug 07

Originally posted by twhitehead
The whole 'toxins in the fat' story is mostly nonsense. If you want to do your body some good then just switch to a healthy diet. A once off fasting will probably not improve your health and may not even reduce your weight as you will probably just binge afterwards. Not eating for a few days will probably do your digestive system (and other organs) more h ...[text shortened]... many people who don't believe they will ever own a car for example (and are probably right).
This is'nt really about losing weight, i'm not over weight at the moment. Do you have any links to back up ths claim that fasting is bad for your digestive system?

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
14 Aug 07
2 edits

Hehe, it's not uncommon. 😉

Any suggestions for diet before and after?
Diet before? I don't think this much matters, But I'm not a doctor either. I would just start when I'm gonna start.

Diet after? I would suggest eating things that are easy on your stomach. Maybe drink a big glass of milk about 10 or 15 minnutes before you start eating again.
I wouldn't eat many spicy foods right after a fast. Or drink much coffee. Your stomach is already full of acid waiting to digest food. You don't need to add to that.
Also if you fast more than a day I would suggest drinking a glass of milk each night before you go to bed. This always helped calm down my stomach before I sleep.

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
14 Aug 07

Diet before? I don't think this much matters, But I'm not a doctor either. I would just start when I'm gonna start.

Diet after? I would suggest eating things that are easy on your stomach. Maybe drink a big glass of milk about 10 or 15 minnutes before you start eating again.
I wouldn't eat many spicy foods right after a fast. Or drink muc ...[text shortened]... k each night before you go to bed. This always helped calm down my stomach before I sleep.
Thanks a lot, i'll keep your advice in mind. 🙂

JJ

Moves
14 Aug 07

I use to go days without eating and it was no problem at all, lol, In fact I never thought of eating. I would just keep powdering my nose in the bathrooms if you know what I mean. But I don't powder my ...[text shortened]... e. It eased my stomach and coated it also. I wouldn't drink milk and then orange juice thow.
I also suggested water...

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
14 Aug 07

Originally posted by Jay Joos
I also suggested water...
Fasting without water would be interesting don't you think... 😉

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
14 Aug 07

Fasting without water would be interesting don't you think... 😉
They say you can die after about 3 or 4 days. I wouldn't suggest that.