1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    14 Aug '07 14:58
    Originally posted by KingDavid403
    They say you can die after about 3 or 4 days. I wouldn't suggest that.
    Something tells me i wouldn't make it that far! 😀
  2. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    14 Aug '07 15:06
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    😉
  3. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    17 Aug '07 15:20
    :'(
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    17 Aug '07 15:441 edit
    Greetings folks. 🙂

Just wondered if any of you have ever fasted before? I have decided i'd like to do one next week (probably for 3-4 days at first just to get an idea what's going on). Any advice, do's-dont's would be most appreciated. 🙂

Cheers
    James.
    Do one day, from the time you wake up and do it until a set time in
    the evening. You will get a feel for it there, once you start fasting for
    a day or two at a time it is easier, but when you first do it, you'll feel
    deprived big time and enjoy your food when you done even more.
    Kelly
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    17 Aug '07 15:45
    Originally posted by KingDavid403
    They say you can die after about 3 or 4 days. I wouldn't suggest that.
    I've fasted for 3 days before, not close to death when I was done, just
    very hungry. 🙂
    Kelly
  6. The sky
    Moves
    17 Aug '07 15:57
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I've fasted for 3 days before, not close to death when I was done, just
    very hungry. 🙂
    Kelly
    You were fasting without water?
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    17 Aug '07 19:22
    This is'nt really about losing weight, i'm not over weight at the moment. Do you have any links to back up ths claim that fasting is bad for your digestive system?
    I thought it helps make you fat oddly enough, because the body goes into emergency mode, thinking it's starving. I can't find a link for that though.

It also causes protein breakdown in the body:

After several days of fasting, all cells in the body begin to break down protein. This releases amino acids into the bloodstream, which can be converted into glucose by the liver. Since much of our muscle mass is protein, this phenomenon is responsible for the wasting away of muscle mass seen in starvation.

However, the body is not able to selectively decide which cells will break down protein and which will not. In effect, all cells will break down protein, and essential cells (such as lung cells) are just as likely to be broken down as nonessential cells (such as muscle cells). The problem is that proteins are essential to the structure and metabolism of the cell. Most cells cannot tolerate the loss of very much protein.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famine_response
  8. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    17 Aug '07 19:55
    Read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramadan
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    18 Aug '07 08:05
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    You were fasting without water?
    no
  10. The sky
    Moves
    18 Aug '07 09:51
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    no
    Well, I don't think anyone claims that you are likely to be anywhere close to death from fasting with water for a few days.
  11. Joined
    29 Sep '04
    Moves
    21 Aug '07 15:18
    Its interesting to me that most of these posts assume that the fast is a complete abstinence from food. I have a couple of thoughts here.

1) Fasting does not have to be the complete abstention from food. Even the ascetic monks of old (e.g. the Desert Fathers) didn't completely abstain from food. The idea was to be hungry always, not starving. From my reading in the Catholic and Orthodox traditions, it is my understanding that this was commonly accepted to mean a "pound" of bread a day... a "pound" being basically a loaf (if you're into bread-making, I here mean the standard loaf pan, not commercial.)

2) The point of fasting is two-fold: to mortify the flesh and to serve as a reminder of your devotion to your God. In so far as fasting mortifies the flesh, it does so by exercising the virtue of self-control. Many a good monk has said that if we can control the things on which our bodies rely then we are able to control our spirit. The constant pang of hunger serves as a reminder for prayer in our efforts to "pray always" -- if every time you were hungry during a fast you said a prayer you would pray quite frequently.

I think the Roman Church's understanding of a fast (i.e. one "normal" meal and two "colations" which together make-up less than one meal) is pretty solid... if you do that for a few days I think you'll find it quite an experience.

I would also observe that jumping in straight to a "liquids-only" fast of three or four days is somewhat hurculean... I wouldn't dream of such a thing, but then again I don't know you, maybe you'll do it.

pax vobiscum,
    Corey

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree