1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    05 Feb '17 15:361 edit
    Okay, so some chap from a different religion sees one of those comical fat statues of a friar monk and refers to it as representing Jesus Christ. Would you be offended?

Then why is it not offensive for Christians to view one of those comical fat statues of a Buddhist monk and refer to it as representing the Buddha?! (This has occurred a couple of times in this forum, the last quite recently).

The Buddha is as far removed from the 'fat Buddhist monk' as Jesus is from the 'fat Friar' swigging from a jar of mead. Any brief study of the Buddha's life would make this quite apparent. (The fat monk is usually based on the eccentric monk Hotei, not the Buddha).
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Feb '17 15:37
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Okay, so some chap from a different religion sees one of those comical fat statues of a friar monk and refers to it as representing Jesus Christ. Would you be offended?

Then why is it not offensive for Christians to view one of those comical fat statues of a Buddhist monk and refer to it as representing the Buddha?! (This has occurred a couple of ...[text shortened]... his quite apparent. (The fat monk is usually based on the eccentric monk Hotei, not the Buddha).
    What have you got against monks or fatness?
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    05 Feb '17 15:40
    Originally posted by divegeester
    What have you got against monks or fatness?
    This thread has immediately turned round and bitten me on the posterior!

😳
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Feb '17 16:49

Then why is it not offensive for Christians to view one of those comical fat statues of a Buddhist monk and refer to it as representing the Buddha?! (This has occurred a couple of ...[text shortened]... his quite apparent. (The fat monk is usually based on the eccentric monk Hotei, not the Buddha).
    mmmmmead 😀
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    05 Feb '17 17:46
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    mmmmmead 😀
    When I encounter you in a thread entitled 'fat Buddhist monk' I can't help but chuckle.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Feb '17 18:00
    When I encounter you in a thread entitled 'fat Buddhist monk' I can't help but chuckle.
    Ha I have prayed to become skinny again!
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    05 Feb '17 18:41

The image is not that important. The practice and the teachings are.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Feb '17 20:08
    This thread has immediately turned round and bitten me on the posterior!

😳
    Haha
  9. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    05 Feb '17 21:27

Some people just don't have a sense of humor. If I heard someone refer to the fat monk as Jesus, i'ld laugh. And i'm sure a Buddhist Monk, would also laugh.

Personally, a good laugh is good for the soul
  10. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    05 Feb '17 21:27
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    The image is not that important. The practice and the teachings are.
    Exactly!!!
  11. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    06 Feb '17 02:50

There have been many Buddha's, even several female, thru time. Siddhartha, or as I like to call him, "Sid the Kid", was the probable founder of Buddhism. I have always felt that Hotei, or Bodai, was a reminder that life need not be taken so seriously. Laugh, dance and joyous celebration is just as much a part of life as aging, sickness and death.
    Siddhartha is not god (to me). When asked if he was god or even a god his reply was "I am awake".
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Feb '17 01:04
    For some reason this reminds me of Chelsea fans singing "you're just a fat Spanish waiter" at Rafa Benitez
  13. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    07 Feb '17 01:53
    Buddha was born privileged. He did rise above that handicap, but I'm pretty sure he was never underfed.The laughing fat man!
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    07 Feb '17 06:07
    Originally posted by apathist
    Buddha was born privileged. He did rise above that handicap, but I'm pretty sure he was never underfed.The laughing fat man!
    Guatama starved himself to near death for 6 years before finding the "middle path"

The fat Buddha teaches other lessons. Diversity is at the heart of Buddhism. The trancsedance of the physical is reflected on the inside of the "body" and can only be seen through the eyes and not by any other noticeable physical features.
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    07 Feb '17 08:47
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Guatama starved himself to near death for 6 years before finding the "middle path"

The fat Buddha teaches other lessons. Diversity is at the heart of Buddhism. The trancsedance of the physical is reflected on the inside of the "body" and can only be seen through the eyes and not by any other noticeable physical features.
    Nice post.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree