1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    19 Nov '17 13:011 edit
    Originally posted by @pianoman1
    Who knows what goes on inside a cow's head, but I'm sure they appreciate beauty, not in the same way as us, as much as we do!

Good point. well Debussy tried to get into some animal's head in "Afternoon of a Faun". I guess that doesn't count since a faun is partly human.
  2. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    19 Nov '17 16:36
    Originally posted by @sonship
    Give me a few weeks an I will try to track down the piece and hear it. As far back as I can remember it Bach's St. Matthew was spoken of highly.

One teacher I had in music school said he couldn't figure out even why Bach wrote the St. Matthew work? But it was great to him.
    Why is someone always giving you the thumbs down?
    Anyway, back to your question. In my view nature is nature, not "the creator's" nature, just nature. Why do record companies use it to sell records? Because it generates a feel-good factor. Listen to this and you will be transported to rural bliss. Also, much of classical music from Beethoven onwards was inspired by nature (Beethoven's "Pastoral Symphony", Richard Strauss's "Alpine Symphony", Vaughan Williams's "Lark Ascending", Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" etc etc. You must understand I do not ascribe a creator to nature - it arose out of evolutionary processes started some 13 billion years ago after the Big Bang.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Nov '17 11:582 edits
    Sonhouse, we are both musicians and spiritually alive people. You have my respect as such. Incidentally, I enjoyed your Eulogy and Tango (the pianist suggested you might be the bassoonist?)
    What JSB did, in my view, was to tame the great forces of diatonicism and chromaticism into a unified well-tempered perfection that somehow makes a deity irrelevant. ...[text shortened]... the music flow through you from "a higher force"? Where did Mozart's effortless music come from?
    You meant Sonship. My own music is just guitar soli or mandolin or keyboards or dulcimer tunes composed in the last 4 years or so. Not sure if I gave you the link to my Soundcloud account, I have 62 pieces there, my compositions, trad Irish, old timey American and my wife and friends onstage in Jerusalem and recording in our flat there. Lately composing tunes for my family members, wife, sister, mom, grandkids. Over a dozen of those. Admittedly not hugely virtuosic, just nice tunes fingerpicked on guitar and dulcimer and a couple of mandolin solo, one I like, a girl in the audience named, when I said I just wrote it and had no name: Spider in the whiskey๐Ÿ™‚ I thought a brilliant title.

https://soundcloud.com/user-399104119

Be curious as to your response.

Sonship, I heard that with interest, but I liked the dedication part one better, partly because the audio was clearer, your dedication sounds somewhat like my daughter Heather, she graduated from Berklee in Boston for BA and Wesleyan for MA in compositon. I'll PM her link, wouldn't do her link to the public, I have gotten burned before. I would never post your name here either. There are some true trolls here on RHP who relish the idea of exposing full names and address, it happened to me already when I gave my amateur radio call sign, a dude named Hand of Hacote pulled my address and pictures of my house and thought it the funniest thing he had done in ten years. Russ pulled that post so it was on only a few days but was very upsetting to see an assswipe like him do that to what I thought was a civilized site.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Nov '17 12:131 edit
    Anyway, back to your question. In my view nature is nature, not "the creator's" nature, just nature. Why do record companies use it to sell records? Because it generates a feel-good factor. Listen to this and you will be transported to rural bliss. Also, much of classical music from Beethoven onwards was ...[text shortened]... e - it arose out of evolutionary processes started some 13 billion years ago after the Big Bang.

I am kind of old fashion. I don't give lots of attention to graphic little faces or thumbs up or down.

I look for things expressed in words. Do you kind of always glance over to see what thumbs are doing? I'd have to work on it to notice.

Anyway, back to your question. In my view nature is nature, not "the creator's" nature, just nature. Why do record companies use it to sell records? Because it generates a feel-good factor.

I agree.
    Curious that they refer to nature's beauty a lot.
    I like it too, by the way.

Listen to this and you will be transported to rural bliss. Also, much of classical music from Beethoven onwards was inspired by nature (Beethoven's "Pastoral Symphony", Richard Strauss's "Alpine Symphony", Vaughan Williams's "Lark Ascending", Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" etc etc. You must understand I do not ascribe a creator to nature - it arose out of evolutionary processes started some 13 billion years ago after the Big Bang.

Bangs have Bangers.
    It didn't Bang out of absolutely no cause.
    I think some of us know Who Banged it.

Anyway, this is a quasi art thread and I'll respect that it would be annoying force it into an announcement of the Christian Gospel. Welcome to the Spirituality Forum maestro.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Nov '17 12:35

I am kind of old fashion. I don't give lots of attention to graphic little faces or thumbs up or down.

I look for things expressed in words. Do you kind of always glance over to see what thumbs are doing? I'd have to work on it to notice.

[quote]
    Anyway, back to your question. In ...[text shortened]... into an announcement of the Christian Gospel. Welcome to the [b]Spirituality
    Forum maestro.[/b]
    When I was about ten my first step father had this house we lived in and I discovered a room totally unused by his family, I assume it was his dad's room, nobody even went in there.
    What was inside was a huge 78 RPM record collection, really great music, none of the real classics but there was some, like "Till Eulenspegal's merry pranks" and Scheherazade and a lot of broadway ones like paint your wagon and Oklahoma and a lot of others, lily Pons, Ima Sumac.

The problem was, no record player. Not a hugely important part of the family clearly.

So one day I was perusing the room and found a cardboard box on the floor under one of the many shelves of records.
    It contained a record player but no amps, cabinet, speakers, nothing but the bare turntable.

Around the same time, I had a few parts for a model airplane kit and one kid at my school, First Lutheran School, El Monte California, suggested a trade. He wanted my little engine and offered a pair of earphones and a diode. I took him up and had earphone in hand.

One day I was looking at the turntable and noticed there was a carterage and needle and wires sticking out, of course hooked up to nothing.

I looked at the earphone, it also had wires going nowhere, no connector and I visualized, what if I could hook up that cartridge to the earphone directly, would I hear anything if I played a record.

To my utter amazement, when I did that, it indeed allowed me to hear the sounds and I started playing everything in sight, all unbeknownst to the rest of my family.

I had discovered an incredible world of music.

Then one day I was wandering the grounds and found in an old shed yet another box of records but this bunch was much different, it was folk music, Burl Ives, Vernon Dahlhart (I found out much later was a pseudonym) and others. I was taken by the stories, Black is the color of my true love's hair, Wreck of the 97 and a lot more. I fell in love with folk music and that has been my passion ever since. You can see that in my music, only instrumental however, I have to make the stories in tunes and hope for the best๐Ÿ™‚ My voice is like a croaking bass frog so I serve the music community best by NOT singing, I let my wife do that.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Nov '17 14:253 edits
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    When I was about ten my first step father had this house we lived in and I discovered a room totally unused by his family, I assume it was his dad's room, nobody even went in there.
    What was inside was a huge 78 RPM record collection, really great music, none of the real classics but there was some, like "Till Eulenspegal's merry pranks" and Scheherazade ...[text shortened]... a croaking bass frog so I serve the music community best by NOT singing, I let my wife do that.
    When I was about ten my first step father had this house we lived in and I discovered a room totally unused by his family, I assume it was his dad's room, nobody even went in there. What was inside was a huge 78 RPM record collection, really great music, none of the real classics but there was some, like "Till Eulenspegal's merry pranks" and Scheherazade and a lot of broadway ones like paint your wagon and Oklahoma and a lot of others, lily Pons, Ima Sumac.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cool.
    is Ms Yma Sumac the South American singer with a big six octave span?
    YouTube

The problem was, no record player. Not a hugely important part of the family clearly.

So one day I was perusing the room and found a cardboard box on the floor under one of the many shelves of records. It contained a record player but no amps, cabinet, speakers, nothing but the bare turntable.
    Around the same time, I had a few parts for a model airplane kit and one kid at my school, First Lutheran School, El Monte California, suggested a trade. He wanted my little engine and offered a pair of earphones and a diode. I took him up and had earphone in hand.

One day I was looking at the turntable and noticed there was a carterage and needle and wires sticking out, of course hooked up to nothing.

I looked at the earphone, it also had wires going nowhere, no connector and I visualized, what if I could hook up that cartridge to the earphone directly, would I hear anything if I played a record.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sounds like a real period of discovery!

To my utter amazement, when I did that, it indeed allowed me to hear the sounds and I started playing everything in sight, all unbeknownst to the rest of my family.

I had discovered an incredible world of music.

----------------------------------------------------------------
    The engineer in you was manifested.

Then one day I was wandering the grounds and found in an old shed yet another box of records but this bunch was much different, it was folk music, Burl Ives, Vernon Dahlhart (I found out much later was a pseudonym) and others. I was taken by the stories, Black is the color of my true love's hair, Wreck of the 97 and a lot more. I fell in love with folk music
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    That's pretty cool.
    You still have a vivid memory of the discovery.

I remember my father having a recording of Brahm's First Symphony. The first time or two it just sounded like an ocean of orchestral sound. Then one day ... ONE DAY ... I seemed to understand the music. It had sunk in subconsciously. Themes, variations, motifs and such made it all make sense.

I remember that day when I first understood a piece of complex symphonic music. And I loved it.

and that has been my passion ever since. You can see that in my music, only instrumental however, I have to make the stories in tunes and hope for the best My voice is like a croaking bass frog so I serve the music community best by NOT singing, I let my wife do that.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Folk music sounds best when it is bit unpolished and folksy. Look at Johnny Cash.
    His voice is not that great. But what performer of folk songs.

Or is that too Nashville?
    Anyway, I think US Folk Music sounds best authentic and not too polished.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Nov '17 14:462 edits
    [b] When I was about ten my first step father had this house we lived in and I discovered a room totally unused by his family, I assume it was his dad's room, nobody even went in there. What was inside was a huge 78 RPM record collection, really great music, none of the real classics but there was some, like "Till Eulenspegal's merry pranks" and Scheherazad ...[text shortened]... that too Nashville?
    Anyway, I think US Folk Music sounds best authentic and not too polished.
    For me the revelation about classical music came with Scheherazade, Rimsky-Korsakov. It was a true revelation for me no doubt. The dozens of themes played in so many ways was enthralling.
    Much later I was similarly enthralled at a live performance of The Miraculous Mandarin by Bela Bartok, he should be the forth B IMHO.

Susan, my wife, is a perfectionist and hates it when a mistake is made, instrumental or vocal. If you ever heard of the Bethlehem Music fest, we played there 5 years running and played gigs around the East and in Jerusalem, a lot of places there.

If you can get to my SC account if you scroll down a ways you can find one song she wrote, Circle of love and several folk songs both on stage and recorded in our flat in Jerusalem. We lived there for about 4 years, long enough for one of our sons to graduate HS there at the Anglican International school, a great small school!

When he took his college entrance exams, he was called in to the office, they said, where did you go to school? Anglican International school in Jerusalem, why?

Well you are the first one to have aced the ENGLISH portion of the test. NOBODY does that and we were thinking somehow you cheated. But when they heard the school, they were impressed and said, oh, that explains it๐Ÿ™‚

That time when I found out I could hook the earphones to the cartridge was definitely a high point in my life. I just wish I could have been around when they chucked all those records into the trash bin, worthless crap๐Ÿ™‚
    My uncle bought the place from step dad # 1, Bob Kelly when my mom and Kelly got divorced and I am sure those records lasted about one week when he moved in, a total non-artistic type who I found out much later molested my sister unbeknownst to me ATT. He died before I could get to him however.
  8. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    22 Nov '17 18:15
    Paleolithic
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Nov '17 09:34
    Originally posted by @apathist
    Paleolithic
    Classic Rock? ๐Ÿ˜€
  10. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    27 Nov '17 17:21
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Classic Rock? ๐Ÿ˜€
    I totally like that. It deserves air time.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Nov '17 02:31
    For me the revelation about classical music came with Scheherazade, Rimsky-Korsakov. It was a true revelation for me no doubt. The dozens of themes played in so many ways was enthralling.
    Much later I was similarly enthralled at a live performance of The Miraculous Mandarin by Bela Bartok, he should be the forth B IMHO.

Susan, my wife, is a perfection ...[text shortened]... much later molested my sister unbeknownst to me ATT. He died before I could get to him however.

A beautiful piece and very well written.

To me that is an interesting leap and contrast, from Rimsky Kosakov to Bartok.
    That's quite contrast in styles.
    I don't think I have heard the piece.

Susan, my wife, is a perfectionist and hates it when a mistake is made, instrumental or vocal. If you ever heard of the Bethlehem Music fest, we played there 5 years running and played gigs around the East and in Jerusalem, a lot of places there.

That's very cool. You're really doing what you love.
    And by gigs, I assume you may have gotten paid for some.

If you can get to my SC account if you scroll down a ways you can find one song she wrote, Circle of love and several folk songs both on stage and recorded in our flat in Jerusalem. We lived there for about 4 years, long enough for one of our sons to graduate HS there at the Anglican International school, a great small school!

When he took his college entrance exams, he was called in to the office, they said, where did you go to school? Anglican International school in Jerusalem, why?

Well you are the first one to have aced the ENGLISH portion of the test. NOBODY does that and we were thinking somehow you cheated. But when they heard the school, they were impressed and said, oh, that explains it

That time when I found out I could hook the earphones to the cartridge was definitely a high point in my life. I just wish I could have been around when they chucked all those records into the trash bin, worthless crap

My older brother had hundreds of vintage albums from the 60s that we thought for sure were collector's items. He actually had a hard time interesting anyone to buy them.

My uncle bought the place from step dad # 1, Bob Kelly when my mom and Kelly got divorced and I am sure those records lasted about one week when he moved in, a total non-artistic type who I found out much later molested my sister unbeknownst to me ATT. He died before I could get to him however.

I am saddened to hear that.
    Maybe some counseling might help her in the healing process.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Nov '17 02:37
    Anyway, back to your question. In my view nature is nature, not "the creator's" nature, just nature. Why do record companies use it to sell records? Because it generates a feel-good factor. Listen to this and you will be transported to rural bliss. Also, much of classical music from Beethoven onwards was ...[text shortened]... e - it arose out of evolutionary processes started some 13 billion years ago after the Big Bang.
    I think Vaughn William's Fifth symphony is one of my favorite 20th century symphonies.
    I also like Arnold Bax and Frank Bridge from UK.

And then there is also William Waltons' two symphonies.
    And Elgar's first symphony has a special place to me also.

It wanders away from a them and comes back at the end which kind of reminds me of
    my spiritual journey. It could be coincidental. But Elgar's first symphony does always remind me of my life of wandering away and coming home to spiritual matters.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Nov '17 02:471 edit

A beautiful piece and very well written.

[quote]
    Much later I was similarly enthralled at a live performance of The Miraculous Mandarin by Bela Bar ...[text shortened]... te]

I am saddened to hear that.
    Maybe some counseling might help her in the healing process.
    She is well over that now, long time ago.

I listened to the Miraculous Mandarin on recordings then when I heard it live at wolf trap by Pierre Boulez it was magical, like a totally different piece.

Do you have more than the two I listened to on YT?

Right now I cannot upload any more, used up my 3 hours of upload time and of course it is only audio, I have yet to do a vid.

I am working with a really talented lady, Joanna Kazdan, who teaches at Berklee in Boston, where my daughter got her first degree.

I don't do transcribing to sheet music much at all and we have some deep connections, one of which we only found out when she said, Oh BTW, maybe you knew Michael Shamus. He was my brother.

THAT blew me away. Back in the 70's, I had a band, Southwind Irish Band, based in Venice Beach California. Founding members were Judy Gameral, Mary Dolinskis, me, and Michael Shamus.

That was total surprise. The other connection we had was when we lived in Israel, my best friend there was a polymath genius, Ray Scudero, RIP. But he got married and that to Joanna. That happened after we left after living in Jerusalem for 4 years.

So she helped with his CD's and such and after he died the incredible folk community organized several tribute concerts to help out Joanna.

So I contacted her about one of Ray's CD's and she sent me a couple of them. It was a tearful playing I can tell you, to hear Ray on his own CD.

Then we talked about my music on Sound Cloud and she listened to a few of my compositions there, just folk stuff, solo guitar, solo mandolin and such.

She loved my tunes and I told her I wanted to put the tunes in a book, originals from me.

She said sure, she can transcribe but I have to do video's of the tunes so she can see them to be sure she is transcribing the right notes and fingering.

So ATT I knew she had married my best friend but that was after we left and went back to the US.
    A few more Emails later she laid the bomb on me, Michael was her brother!

That was from 1974 to about 75. Early on, we practiced at his house where she lived also, so we had to have met and I have a vague memory of his sister so I met her briefly 40 odd years ago! She was into dance at that time but later got infused with music and folk music and got her degree at Berklee.

What are the odds of someone you briefly knew 40 years ago becoming a big part of our lives now! Michael died so it was twice poignant, Ray RIP and Michael RIP. But Joanna is still alive and well and helping me on my book project.

Incredible set of co-incidences, eh.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 Nov '17 07:43
    She is well over that now, long time ago.

I listened to the Miraculous Mandarin on recordings then when I heard it live at wolf trap by Pierre Boulez it was magical, like a totally different piece.

Do you have more than the two I listened to on YT?

Right now I cannot upload any more, used up my 3 hours of upload time and of course it is only aud ...[text shortened]... still alive and well and helping me on my book project.

Incredible set of co-incidences, eh.
    I am listening to a number of "Southwind" Irish melodies now on YouTube.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Dec '17 14:49
    I am listening to a number of "Southwind" Irish melodies now on YouTube.
    That is where we took the name of our band. Do you have more than the two pieces I listened to?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree