1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 12:521 edit
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    For me the revelation about classical music came with Scheherazade, Rimsky-Korsakov. It was a true revelation for me no doubt. The dozens of themes played in so many ways was enthralling.
    Much later I was similarly enthralled at a live performance of The Miraculous Mandarin by Bela Bartok, he should be the forth B IMHO.
    "... Scheherazade, Rimsky-Korsakov..."

This is a fine example of the "genius of the masters" I was speaking of earlier.

"Bela Bartok, he should be the fourth B IMHO."

There are many who agree with you. I am one of them. 🙂
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 14:28
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    [b]"... Scheherazade, Rimsky-Korsakov..."

This is a fine example of the "genius of the masters" I was speaking of earlier.

"Bela Bartok, he should be the fourth B IMHO."

There are many who agree with you. I am one of them. 🙂[/b]
    Wow, we AGREE on something🙂 Have you heard the Miraculous Mandarin? What struck me was the incredible difference of a recording of it V hearing it live, it was like an alive thing when I heard it at Wolftrap. We could not get in to the actual seats but there was a grassy knoll just outside and we had blankets and laying on them listening, it was breathtaking.
  3. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 21:22
    Bosch - The Last Judgment.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 21:561 edit
    Originally posted by @stellspalfie
    Bosch - The Last Judgment.
    Link:

https://www.khanacademy.org/humanities/renaissance-reformation/northern/hieronymus-bosch/v/bosch-last-judgment-triptych-1504-08

I wanna see the movie🙂
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 23:56
    Wow, we AGREE on something🙂 Have you heard the Miraculous Mandarin? What struck me was the incredible difference of a recording of it V hearing it live, it was like an alive thing when I heard it at Wolftrap. We could not get in to the actual seats but there was a grassy knoll just outside and we had blankets and laying on them listening, it was breathtaking.
    I am not familiar with that piece.

I heard an amazing sampling on NPR today of a new album by a Danish group. The story was about the similarity of classical music with folk music. I'll dig around and find the name of the group and album for you, or maybe a link to NPR's story.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Dec '17 14:24

I heard an amazing sampling on NPR today of a new album by a Danish group. The story was about the similarity of classical music with folk music. I'll dig around and find the name of the group and album for you, or maybe a link to NPR's story.
    I'll be waiting with baited breath🙂
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Dec '17 19:361 edit

The group is the Danish String Quartet, they play mainly classical music, but they explore the similarity of classical and folk music in their latest album, Last Leaf.

https://www.npr.org/sections/deceptivecadence/2017/12/05/560399813/vintage-nordic-folk-tunes-with-strings-attached

If you go to the link, at the top is a play button and you can listen to the story as it was presented on NPR, or you can scroll down, and in the right margin is a link to NPR's column Tiny Desk, where you can probably see a video of DSQ playing a song from the album.
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 Dec '17 22:21
    I'll be waiting with baited[sic] breath🙂
    If you are hoping to catch something I'll be waiting with bated breath!

Brought to you by courtesy of the Grammar Police.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Dec '17 01:261 edit
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    If you are hoping to catch something I'll be waiting with bated breath!

Brought to you by courtesy of the Grammar Police.
    You didn't realized you've been baited, rated and skated🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree