Fear of Death

Fear of Death

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
23 Mar 07

Originally posted by scottishinnz
I always wonder about this - I mean, who would know?
Those who have come back from the dead perhaps?

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
23 Mar 07

Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
there are things in this life that is worse than death for example what if you were very sick and every minute and every breathe was painful? then death might be something you look forward to
Perhaps, but death may be far worse than whatever it is you are facing, who would know?

However, if death is just the absence of any emotion, then logically anything which is less than pleasurable would be worse than death.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
23 Mar 07

Originally posted by whodey
Those who have come back from the dead perhaps?
And, storybooks aside, precisely how many has that happened to?

Hmmm . . .

Moves
23 Mar 07

I'm pretty much where Starrman is.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
23 Mar 07
1 edit

Originally posted by vistesd
I'm pretty much where Starrman is.
You won't be when you're dead.

The notion of my atoms' fate is perfectly absurd.

Edit--SPLASH

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
23 Mar 07

I think that what Starrman said is all fine and dandy, but I actually don't believe anyone here doesn't fear death (although many won't admit it).

Transforming the meaning of fear into a phobia-like caricature about skeletons is simply avoiding the question. I seriously doubt any of us in face of the possibility of imminent death wouldn't be afraid.

E

Moves
23 Mar 07

Originally posted by Palynka
I think that what Starrman said is all fine and dandy, but I actually don't believe anyone here doesn't fear death (although many won't admit it).

Transforming the meaning of fear into a phobia-like caricature about skeletons is simply avoiding the question. I seriously doubt any of us in face of the possibility of imminent death wouldn't be afraid.
death is not scary one bit. the second death scares the hell out of me though.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
23 Mar 07

death is not scary one bit. the second death scares the hell out of me though.
Like I said, you may write what you will, but for me that is just hypocrisy.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
23 Mar 07

Death seems a somewhat remote eventuality, really--how can I ever cease existing? It seems implausible.

It'd take a lot of yoga before I could take a gun in my mouth without filling my pants.

E

Moves
23 Mar 07

why would i be afraid of death? there is much worse things out there than death.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
23 Mar 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
It'd take a lot of yoga before I could take a gun in my mouth without filling my pants.
😀

Death seems a somewhat remote eventuality, really--how can I ever cease existing? It seems implausible.

Well put. This is one of the reasons why I think many people will say that they're not afraid of death.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
23 Mar 07

😀

[b]Death seems a somewhat remote eventuality, really--how can I ever cease existing? It seems implausible.

Well put. This is one of the reasons why I think many people will say that they're not afraid of death.[/b]
There's no reason to be afraid of it, the mind comforts itself--yet it is precisely a question of dealing with the irrational. Hence the colourful ceremonies performed by the more carnivalesque cultures in simultaneous honour and defiance of death. Of course, other cultures, in a frenzy of reductionism for which the modernist movement is probably entirely to blame, have reduced the colourful element to the flower arrangement that distracts the mourners from the coffin immediately prior to its incineration.

Cape Town

Moves
23 Mar 07
1 edit

Its all a question of usage.
For example, do you fear lions?
One could say no, I do not fear lions because there aren't any around here. Or you could say yes, I fear lions when they are chasing me. Or you could say "I get the shivers when I see a lion even if it is in a cage."
There is a difference between being afraid when death is clearly imminent and living in fear of a death that may not come for many years.
Most people do not want to die, but fear is the wrong word.

I once thought I was going to die imminently, I do not remember being afraid.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
23 Mar 07

why would i be afraid of death? there is much worse things out there than death.
There is no possible way you can know that.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
23 Mar 07
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
For example, do you fear lions?
One could say no, I do not fear lions because there aren't any around here. Or you could say yes, I fear lions when they are chasing me. Or you could say "I get the shivers when I see a lion even if it is in a cage."
There is a difference between being afraid when death is clearly imminent and living in fear of a death that may not come for many years.
And yet you don't consider the possibility of not being afraid of lions when they are chasing you.

That one can live without fear through the absence of the need to face death is different of not being afraid. Again, this may sound like semantics, but not all fears need to be ever-present phobias.