1. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Joined
    24 Sep '02
    Moves
    96652
    03 May '09 02:27
    The idea that one must fear God seems odd don't you think ? I fear the unknown, but not a personage that will be mad at me. I don't fear the idea of a God. I think many here that argue for the" No God "concept actually fear the idea of a God. Just the thought of something out there with intelligence that is responsible for all there is put's them off. They would be dissapointed if God revealed himself tomorrow night on the evening new's. The whole world view would go into the tank.
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    3061
    03 May '09 22:363 edits
    Originally posted by buckky
    The idea that one must fear God seems odd don't you think ? I fear the unknown, but not a personage that will be mad at me. I don't fear the idea of a God. I think many here that argue for the" No God "concept actually fear the idea of a God. Just the thought of something out there with intelligence that is responsible for all there is put's them off. They w ...[text shortened]... himself tomorrow night on the evening new's. The whole world view would go into the tank.
    As I just hinted in another thread, this sentiment coming from you is ironic. The implication here is that many atheists are simply doing some sort of appeals to consequences -- maybe something like (1) If God exists, then Q; (2) But Q sucks; (3) Therefore, God doesn't exist.

    First of all, that is an outrageously stupid characterization of general atheism, given that many, many atheists are responsible in weighing the actual evidence that bears on the topic of theism. Second, it's ironic coming from you because in another thread (Thread 111685, page 3, for example) you are actually the one trying to advance a silly appeals to consequence -- of the form that death really sucks; ergo, there must be some creator out there who will grant me immortality.
  3. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Joined
    24 Sep '02
    Moves
    96652
    04 May '09 00:35
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    As I just hinted in another thread, this sentiment coming from you is ironic. The implication here is that many atheists are simply doing some sort of appeals to consequences -- maybe something like (1) If God exists, then Q; (2) But Q sucks; (3) Therefore, God doesn't exist.

    First of all, that is an outrageously stupid characterization of general ath ...[text shortened]... death really sucks; ergo, there must be some creator out there who will grant me immortality.
    All I observe is that a lot of atheist think they have the Truth pertaining to the God question. In their mind God is a non possibility. We have no scientific proof of God so it must be a myth. I'm as turned off by the Christian idea of God as anyone, but that does make me throw out the baby with the bath water. My belief in God is one of knowing nothing about anything. Call it a hunch, but creation seems like more than a fluke to me. This could be that I suffer from some type of mental illness, or maybe it's natural to believe in a God without any scientific evidence. It does seem to be a common thing to happen among humans of all types.
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Joined
    09 Sep '01
    Moves
    26187
    04 May '09 01:00
    Originally posted by buckky
    All I observe is that a lot of atheist think they have the Truth pertaining to the God question. In their mind God is a non possibility. We have no scientific proof of God so it must be a myth. I'm as turned off by the Christian idea of God as anyone, but that does make me throw out the baby with the bath water. My belief in God is one of knowing nothing abou ...[text shortened]... ny scientific evidence. It does seem to be a common thing to happen among humans of all types.
    You seem to carry around a lot of assumptions about atheists that are simply unfounded. If you cared to examine them more carefully, I think you'd find that most atheists do not claim to have the truth pertaining to god (although they may have some strong suspicions). In their mind god is (highly) unlikely, not a non possibility. And finally, it is more likely that god is a myth, and not that he must be a myth. Even Richard Dawkins will readily concede that god cannot be disproven, but that does not mean that we need give the hypothesis any credence either.
  5. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    04 May '09 01:12
    Originally posted by rwingett
    You seem to carry around a lot of assumptions about atheists that are simply unfounded. If you cared to examine them more carefully, I think you'd find that most atheists do not claim to have the truth pertaining to god (although they may have some strong suspicions). In their mind god is (highly) unlikely, not a non possibility. And finally, it is [ ...[text shortened]... nnot be disproven, but that does not mean that we need give the hypothesis any credence either.
    Atheists are all like Spok, they have all got pointy ears, think artistic license is purchased at the post office, declare science is not a religion, offer up incense to an effigy of Richard Dawkins every morning, celebrate Darwin's birthday and have a ready copy of Moas little red book to read on the subway in the morning while listening to Steve Reich and Philip Glass with their pointy ears!😉
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Joined
    09 Sep '01
    Moves
    26187
    04 May '09 01:21
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Atheists are all like Spok, they have all got pointy ears, think artistic license is purchased at the post office, declare science is not a religion, offer up incense to an effigy of Richard Dawkins every morning, celebrate Darwin's birthday and have a ready copy of Moas little red book to read on the subway in the morning while listening to Steve Reich and Philip Glass with their pointy ears!😉
    If I wasn't such a cold hearted atheist I'd give you a rec for that.
  7. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    04 May '09 01:29
    Originally posted by rwingett
    If I wasn't such a cold hearted atheist I'd give you a rec for that.
    Lol, you know Rwingett, last time i tried it I got lambasted, is a recd good or bad, i have never understood what it stands for although i think its generally positive, anyway if its bad I apologize, 🙂
  8. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    04 May '09 06:22
    Originally posted by buckky
    I'm as turned off by the Christian idea of God as anyone, but that does make me throw out the baby with the bath water.
    But you forget that the 'baby' came to you by chance and could just as easily have been the Hindu 'gods', the Islamic 'Allah', Buddhism etc.

    My belief in God is one of knowing nothing about anything.
    Yet you still assume some attributes whilst simultaneously claiming ignorance.

    Call it a hunch, but creation seems like more than a fluke to me.
    Clearly a hunch. Not all hunches are correct.

    This could be that I suffer from some type of mental illness, or maybe it's natural to believe in a God without any scientific evidence. It does seem to be a common thing to happen among humans of all types.
    You are setting up a false dichotomy. Humans frequently believe in false things, that doesn't mean we are all mentally ill. The perfectly healthy brain is capable of a vast range of delusions and odd behavior.
    It is however not 'natural' to believe in 'a God' unless the possibility is first suggested to you by someone else. Most societies developed some form of belief in supernatural entities but very few had a single God concept. Most people still maintain a wide range of superstitious beliefs (even when it goes against their own stated religious beliefs.)
  9. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    38013
    04 May '09 06:591 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    [b]You seem to carry around a lot of assumptions about atheists that are simply unfounded. If you cared to examine them more carefully, I think you'd find that most atheists do not claim to have the truth pertaining to god (although they may have some strong suspicions). In their mind god is (highly) unlikely, not a non possibility.
    What you describe is an Agnostic; not an Atheist.

    Getting back to this "fear of God." The fear of God is an auto-response which is borne out of respect. If in fact God does exist and has all the power described, i.e. could turn you to dust just by thinking it... then simply instinctively you would feel a great deal of fear in His presence.

    By declaring a complete lack of fear of God, the Atheist proclaims that God doesn't exist, thus has no power, thus should not be feared. It makes perfect sense for the Atheist not to fear God.

    Just as it makes perfect sense for the believer to instinctively fear God.
  10. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    04 May '09 08:20
    Originally posted by sumydid
    What you describe is an Agnostic; not an Atheist.
    Not so. 'Atheist' perfectly describes someone who has no belief in God even if he does not claim the non-existence of God. 'Agnostic' on the other hand tends to be used more for people who give a significant amount of credit to the possibility of there being a God.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86321
    04 May '09 09:081 edit
    Originally posted by buckky
    The idea that one must fear God seems odd don't you think ? I fear the unknown, but not a personage that will be mad at me. I don't fear the idea of a God. I think many here that argue for the" No God "concept actually fear the idea of a God. Just the thought of something out there with intelligence that is responsible for all there is put's them off. They w ...[text shortened]... himself tomorrow night on the evening new's. The whole world view would go into the tank.
    You make the namby-pamby assumption that fear is a bad thing. Without fear the human race would not have evolved from the soup of ingredients of yesteryear would it not? (if you believe that doctrine).

    Why would you fear the unknown more than the known? That is completely irrational [sic], as the known can be very terrifying whereas the unknown is full of hope.
  12. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Joined
    24 Sep '02
    Moves
    96652
    04 May '09 11:11
    Originally posted by divegeester
    You make the namby-pamby assumption that fear is a bad thing. Without fear the human race would not have evolved from the soup of ingredients of yesteryear would it not? (if you believe that doctrine).

    Why would you fear the unknown more than the known? That is completely irrational [sic], as the known can be very terrifying whereas the unknown is full of hope.
    What I think is sick is fear of a God that might hurt or torture you by the Hell experience. If some maniac came into my house, and held a gun to my head, and told me to get down on my knees, and worship him, I would do it out of fear. I would hope a God would not use such tactics to gain worship. Hell appears to be the gun to the head or you will get hurt by an eternity in Hell. Seems wrong anyway you slice it.
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Joined
    09 Sep '01
    Moves
    26187
    04 May '09 12:15
    Originally posted by sumydid
    What you describe is an Agnostic; not an Atheist.
    You appear to be grossly misinformed as to what the terms mean.
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    04 May '09 12:20
    Only evil gods I can fear. I wouldn't fear any loving god, so the christian god cannot be loving. Therefore, by fearing god one must admit that he is infact evil. I cannot worship an evil god, no way.
  15. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    04 May '09 12:39
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Only evil gods I can fear. I wouldn't fear any loving god, so the christian god cannot be loving. Therefore, by fearing god one must admit that he is infact evil. I cannot worship an evil god, no way.
    then you should learn and understand the difference between fear and a healthy reverence!😀
Back to Top