1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 May '09 11:57
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Doesn't the bible say somewhere that the fear of god is the begining of wisdom. Solomon I think....
    Indeed. Once again, however, the fear of God is to fear the ill effects of sin.
  2. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    06 May '09 04:272 edits
    Originally posted by rwingett
    You appear to be grossly misinformed as to what the terms mean.
    "Grossly" misinformed? LOL

A true Atheist does not allow for the existence of God. For one to believe in the possibility that God does exist, however remotely, then one can't say equivocally, "I don't believe."

There is this talk about "weak Atheist" and "strong Atheist," but it's all a crock. You don't believe? You're an Atheist. You don't think there is sufficient evidence to believe yet you think there is a possibility God exists? You're an Agnostic. This "weak Atheism" is just the latest fashionable way for Agnostics to get away from being labeled cowards for not making a commitment one way or the other.

A self-proclaimed Atheist that turns around and says maybe God does exist--is obviously a confused individual. Atheism is defined as "the doctrine or belief that there is no God." Notice the definition doesn't say, "there is probably no God," or break it down into mathematical probability. "There is no God" is an absolute statement with no wiggle room.

Believers and Atheists form the opposite ends of the pole and Agnosticism takes up all that's in between.

We can argue our opinions about this all we want, but "grossly misinformed" is a little bit harsh when the dictionary definition backs me up 100%.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 May '09 04:43
    Originally posted by sumydid
    Believers and Atheists form the opposite ends of the pole and Agnosticism takes up all that's in between.
    Meaning that there are only belivers (in the christian god?) or there is not, and there are all in between. Right?

What about other religions? What about hindu? Shamanism? Beliving in the greek gods? Are they agnostics?

No, there must be a better definition about agnosticism than 'neither beliving 100% on the christian god, nor beliving 100% with that there are no christian god".
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    06 May '09 05:501 edit
    "Grossly" misinformed? LOL

A [b]true
    Atheist does not allow for the existence of God. For one to believe in the possibility that God does exist, however remotely, then one can't say equivocally, "I don't believe."

There is this talk about "weak Atheist" and "strong Atheist," but it's all a crock. You don't believe? You're an Atheist. Yo s a little bit harsh when the dictionary definition backs me up 100%.[/b]
    The vast majority of knowledge claims have 'wiggle room'. I cannot rule out the remote possibility that my whole life and the universe and the earth are nothing more than a very convincing simulation. If this is true, then much of what I claim to know could be wrong [the laws of physics, the things I and others have done, etc.] - and yet I am justified in claiming to know it if the evidence at my disposal strongly indicates it.

If I had to be 100% certain of something to claim that I know it, then I would hardly know anything at all.

Edit: speaking of the dictionary - did you happen on the definition of agnostic as one who believes that the truth about god(s) is probably unknowable?
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 May '09 06:11
    Atheism is defined as "the doctrine or belief that there is no God."
    According to Marriam Webster we have

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Atheism+

2 a: a disbelief in the existence of deity b: the doctrine that there is no deity

I classify myself as 2 a:

I do not have any doctrine that there is no deity, I simply don't believe that there is one, just as you presumably don't believe in pink unicorns that hide out in fridges.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 May '09 09:22
    Originally posted by divegeester
    You could try that approach. I'd be interested in an update afterwards....😀
    Report:
    I am allowed to have as many girlfriends I want, according to my current girlfriend, if I offer her gold and jewellery in plenty, luxury of all kinds, and let her mother live with us. Well, she said, Salomo did that, so why don't you?

Too expensive, I say. My girlfriend is good as she is. I look at other chics when she is not around, she wont notice. Cheaper that way.

Proverbs, chapter 5, verses 3 and 4.
  7. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    30 Jun '09 21:08
    1. In the common law if you live with your girlfriend for more than a month, she is considered your wive.

2. If your girlfriend let's you have as many girlfriends as you like, get a new girlfriend.

3. Even if she doesn't notice it doesn't make it right.
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Jul '09 05:07
    Originally posted by daniel58
    1. In the common law if you live with your girlfriend for more than a month, she is considered your wive.

2. If your girlfriend let's you have as many girlfriends as you like, get a new girlfriend.

3. Even if she doesn't notice it doesn't make it right.
    1.She is not your wive
    2.why?
    3.True, but she will notice. She notices everything.
  9. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    01 Jul '09 21:47
    1. You are right she is not my wife
    2. Do you believe in polygamy?
    3. All the more reason to quit.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Jul '09 23:161 edit
    Originally posted by daniel58
    1. You are right she is not my wife
    2. Do you believe in polygamy?
    3. All the more reason to quit.
    1. (you know waht i meant!) not YOUR wife but the wife of one that has been with her.
    2. I don't advocate polygamy , but if they are happy, then fine. I'm much more interested in how I can help people rather than making rules for them to obey.
    3.sure..if thats the situation.(not every situation is the way it plays out in your head.)
  11. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    02 Jul '09 22:05
    1. I don't care what you call it a "permanent girlfriend" or what
    2. People have rules to obey, SO THEY CAN BE HAPPY, it's when people break good rules is when they are not.
    3. How about don't play it in your head at all?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree