1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 May '09 12:54
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    then you should learn and understand the difference between fear and a healthy reverence!😀
    Every christians say that we should fear god, they don't call it reverence, healthy nor unhealthy. They use the word fear. The author of the first posting calls the whole thread "Fear of God". Who want to worship anyone they have to fear? Not me.

If I have to fear the christian god, then the christian god is nothing for me. Any evil god is nothing to me.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 May '09 13:26
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Every christians say that we should fear god, they don't call it reverence, healthy nor unhealthy. They use the word fear. The author of the first posting calls the whole thread "Fear of God". Who want to worship anyone they have to fear? Not me.

If I have to fear the christian god, then the christian god is nothing for me. Any evil god is nothing to me.
    The Bible shows that there is a proper fear and an improper fear. Thus, fear may be wholesome and cause the individual to proceed with due caution in the face of danger, thereby averting disaster, or it may be morbid, destroying hope and weakening a person’s nervous stamina, even to the point of bringing about death!
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 May '09 14:05
    The Bible shows that there is a proper fear and an improper fear. Thus, fear may be wholesome and cause the individual to proceed with due caution in the face of danger, thereby averting disaster, or it may be morbid, destroying hope and weakening a person’s nervous stamina, even to the point of bringing about death!
    Proper or improper fear, evil is what he is.

I fear my boss, especially when I play chess during work hours. Doesn't make me happier. I would love to replace him with a more chess friendly one.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 May '09 15:01

I fear my boss, especially when I play chess during work hours. Doesn't make me happier. I would love to replace him with a more chess friendly one.
    Don't worry Fabian god doesn't exist, but your boss does.

here he comes now btw...........😲
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 May '09 15:32

well then you should cultivate a healthy respect and reverence for your boss and you will no need to fear him!
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 May '09 18:00
    well then you should cultivate a healthy respect and reverence for your boss and you will no need to fear him!
    Or I go find another job so I don't have to bother anymore.

As I do religiously: If one religion makes me puke, I chose another one that better aligns with my beliefs. There are a lot of gods to chose from. I don't have to chose an evil one.
  7. Joined
    06 Mar '09
    Moves
    04 May '09 18:47
    Wow this all sound a bit intellectual and not sure what half the terms mean! I thought of it like a simple parent child relationship where a child loves his father but fears him in the sense of doing wrong. Isn't that what healthy reverence is all about?

Got a lot of respect for atheists too as I have questioned God when things went wrong in my life - its natural.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 May '09 21:061 edit
    Originally posted by buckky
    The idea that one must fear God seems odd don't you think ? I fear the unknown, but not a personage that will be mad at me. I don't fear the idea of a God. I think many here that argue for the" No God "concept actually fear the idea of a God. Just the thought of something out there with intelligence that is responsible for all there is put's them off. They w ...[text shortened]... himself tomorrow night on the evening new's. The whole world view would go into the tank.
    Any idea what the Bible has to say about the fear of God? It says that to fear God is to shun evil. in other words, sinfulness produces suffering and death and, therefore, should be avoided. It is much like telling someone to fear smoking or sticking your head in a fan.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 May '09 21:37
    Doesn't the bible say somewhere that the fear of god is the begining of wisdom. Solomon I think....
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    05 May '09 03:42
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Doesn't the bible say somewhere that the fear of god is the begining of wisdom. Solomon I think....
    Then Salomon wasn't so wise after all...
    Or perhaps he was a child of his own time, when gods were to be feared. Now we live in the modern ages.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 May '09 07:54
    Then Salomon wasn't so wise after all...
    Or perhaps he was a child of his own time, when gods were to be feared. Now we live in the modern ages.
    Actually Solomon was excessively wise, except for having in excess of 300 wives, which eventually drove him to insanity and he apostatised and became a pointy eared atheist instead, not really a fully fledged athiest but a worshiper of other Gods and deities . You have to sympathise with him to a certain degree, all those wives and children.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    05 May '09 08:03
    Actually Solomon was excessively wise, except for having in excess of 300 wives, which eventually drove him to insanity and he apostatised and became a pointy eared atheist instead, not really a fully fledged athiest but a worshiper of other Gods and deities . You have to sympathise with him to a certain degree, all those wives and children.
    Having 300 wives means having 300 mother-in-laws. This would drive anyone into madness.

I think his *reputation* was that he was wise, not that he actually was it. His reputation was part of his powers over people. This is politics, not religion.

Like the christians are being told be religios leaders that there actually is a hell waiting for those who don't believe this or that. It's called "Management of Fear". Like the boogie man coming to take you if you're bad, or Santa not coming if you're bad, etc. Now we are educated, we don't believe in boogie man, nor Santa Claus, but some are still believing in hell. Well, they grow out of it eventually.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 May '09 08:16
    Having 300 wives means having 300 mother-in-laws. This would drive anyone into madness.

I think his *reputation* was that he was wise, not that he actually was it. His reputation was part of his powers over people. This is politics, not religion.

Like the christians are being told be religios leaders that there actually is a hell waiting for those w ...[text shortened]... Santa Claus, but some are still believing in hell. Well, they grow out of it eventually.
    If you actually read his 'gatherings of proverbs', you will determine that they contain much practical wisdom, the application of knowledge for some purpose or other.

how do you know that he was politically motivated to portray a wise persona in order to hold sway over his people? this i feel is utter speculation for he had such a huge body of soldiers, incredible wealth, many foreign allies because of his marriage alliances, it would seem utterly superfluous , don't you think.
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    05 May '09 08:29
    If you actually read his 'gatherings of proverbs', you will determine that they contain much practical wisdom, the application of knowledge for some purpose or other.

how do you know that he was politically motivated to portray a wise persona in order to hold sway over his people? this i feel is utter speculation for he had such a huge body of so ...[text shortened]... llies because of his marriage alliances, it would seem utterly superfluous , don't you think.
    No, not neccesarily. This preverbs collection that you mention, are you sure this is from the wise man's mouth? Or have they gathered them for a longer period of time than the lifetime of Salomon himself? We don't know that either, it's a speculation as well.

By the way, if polygamism is sanctionned by the bible, then why is my girlfriend complaining when I look at other chics? Is it alright if I refer to the bible and Salomon the wise guy?
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 May '09 08:34
    By the way, if polygamism is sanctionned by the bible, then why is my girlfriend complaining when I look at other chics? Is it alright if I refer to the bible and Salomon the wise guy?
    You could try that approach. I'd be interested in an update afterwards....😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree