fear of loving who we are

fear of loving who we are

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
11 Dec 07

Thoughts anyone? It's 9 minutes and he's not a christian.

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
11 Dec 07

No takers?

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
11 Dec 07

Originally posted by knightmeister
No takers?
At nine minutes, what did you expect?

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
11 Dec 07

Originally posted by rwingett
At nine minutes, what did you expect?
someone to watch the first 30 seconds and see if they fancied watching any more of it?

E

Moves
12 Dec 07

Thoughts anyone? It's 9 minutes and he's not a christian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1a4Od6C_io
is it wrong to practice those beliefs for self gain?

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
12 Dec 07

Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
is it wrong to practice those beliefs for self gain?
I don't understand the question. Do you mean why is he practicing self love? If you do then I would ask how is it possible to love others if one is at odds with oneself and not loving towards oneself?

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
12 Dec 07

I don't understand the question. Do you mean why is he practicing self love? If you do then I would ask how is it possible to love others if one is at odds with oneself and not loving towards oneself?
Love your neighbor AND yourself.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
12 Dec 07

I’m a techno-peasant with extremely slow dial-up, so I don’t watch youtube, etc.

However, from the comments, I do think that I am for once in agreement with knightmeister (and Red Night as well, though I’m not sure we have ever really been in disagreement).

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
12 Dec 07

Originally posted by Red Night
Love your neighbor AND yourself.
I thought jesus preached love others AS you love yourself . I don't see how our love of others can be of very high quality if we do not love ourselves.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
12 Dec 07

I thought jesus preached love others AS you love yourself . I don't see how our love of others can be of very high quality if we do not love ourselves.
The reason Jesus could say "love your neighbor as yourself" is because we already do love ourselves.
And in too many cases, too much!

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
12 Dec 07

Originally posted by vistesd
I’m a techno-peasant with extremely slow dial-up, so I don’t watch youtube, etc.

However, from the comments, I do think that I am for once in agreement with knightmeister (and Red Night as well, though I’m not sure we have ever really been in disagreement).
"(and Red Night as well, though I’m not sure we have ever really been in disagreement)."

How can you be in agreement with someone that so blatantly misquotes the Bible?

Hmmm . . .

Moves
13 Dec 07

Originally posted by josephw
"(and Red Night as well, though I’m not sure we have ever really been in disagreement)."

How can you be in agreement with someone that so blatantly misquotes the Bible?
He didn’t put it as a direct quote, so I didn’t take it as a misquote; and if you love your neighbor in the same way as (Greek: os; a “particle of comparison” ) you love yourself, that presumes that you also must love yourself—even first love yourself—in order to extend that love to another. I just took RN to be acknowledging that the linkage suggests that we are to love ourselves: that that was his emphasis. I think knightmeister understands this one, and his emphasis is shown in his last post. In any event, there is no “as” without the assumed “and”.

It’s interesting that in all the NT passages where this quote is given, the verb agapeseis can be either indicative or imperative; that is, it can be taken both as a command and as a statement of fact: i.e., that you will be able to love your neighbor no more or less than yourself. I’m not going to argue that one way or the other, just pointing it out; though it certainly supports what KM is saying I think.

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
13 Dec 07

Originally posted by josephw
The reason Jesus could say "love your neighbor as yourself" is because we already do love ourselves.
And in too many cases, too much!
No , we do not love ourselves too much. Love of self (ego , selfishness) is NOT the same as compassion for our self. Compassionate care for our own being is bound to radiate out from us to others. Take a look around you. Those who show the least love for others are always those who underneath hate themselves.

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
13 Dec 07

Originally posted by vistesd
He didn’t put it as a direct quote, so I didn’t take it as a misquote; and if you love your neighbor in the same way as (Greek: os; a “particle of comparison” ) you love yourself, that presumes that you also must love yourself—even first love yourself—in order to extend that love to another. I just took RN to be acknowledging that the linkag ...[text shortened]... way or the other, just pointing it out; though it certainly supports what KM is saying I think.
Thanks visted , if we look hard at life we will see that compassion for others is always linked with a sense of being at peace with oneself and caring for our own selves. Jesus was saying that we must replicate the love we have for ourselves out to others , but that has to happen from a place of self love. If you have ever met someone who you sense really loathes themselves and behaves destructively towards themselves I bet my mortgage they weren't that caring to other people. They may have become people pleasers constantly putting others first out of guilt or low self esteem ...but is that compassion?