1. St. Peter's
    Moves
    23 Jun '11 23:42
    Originally posted by buckky
    Is all religious or spiritual belief based on nothing more than feeling ? I'm not knocking the feeling part of life, but how many out there got involved with a religion because it sounded logical. I get in trouble because of my feeling overload. My personality type is a INFJ according the Meyers Briggs test. People like me get involved with cults and airy fairy crap because of the feeling out weighing the thinking. Discernment is needed.
    perhaps you should read some philosophy. Many philosophers base their belief on reason. Pascal's wager makes pretty good sense...
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Jun '11 23:56
    Originally posted by buckky
    How did you work it out ?
    It is much too long a story and too difficult for me to explain.
    I hope that you will be able to do the same, if you wish.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Jun '11 05:37
    Here is some research showing magnetic stimulation of a certain part of the right brain can give an artificial religious or spiritual feeling in most people who took part in the study. It seems to show religious feelings are in our brains, not from supernatural forces:

http://www.suite101.com/content/seat-of-religious-feelings-located-in-right-brain-a293335
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Jun '11 06:12
    Originally posted by Doward
    Pascal's wager makes pretty good sense...
    No it doesn't. It is the sort of logic (or lack thereof) typical of Christians trying to justify their beliefs through logic - when in reality hold those beliefs for other reasons.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Jun '11 06:43
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    No it doesn't. It is the sort of logic (or lack thereof) typical of Christians trying to justify their beliefs through logic - when in reality hold those beliefs for other reasons.
    You sound like an angry person. Just relax. Don't worry. Be happy.
  6. Illinois
    Moves
    24 Jun '11 06:44
    What about Pascal's wager doesn't make good sense to you?
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Jun '11 06:48
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Here is some research showing magnetic stimulation of a certain part of the right brain can give an artificial religious or spiritual feeling in most people who took part in the study. It seems to show religious feelings are in our brains, not from supernatural forces:

http://www.suite101.com/content/seat-of-religious-feelings-located-in-right-brain-a293335
    So atheists must be left brain dominated.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Jun '11 06:571 edit
    I took the Right Brain/Left Brain Quiz on the web the following is the result:

The higher of these two numbers below indicates which side of your brain has dominance in your life. Realising your right brain/left brain tendancy will help you interact with and to understand others.

Left Brain Dominance: (8)
    Right Brain Dominance: (5)

Addition: Why am I not an Atheist?
  9. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    24 Jun '11 09:48
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    For the word of the cross is to those who are perishing foolishness, but to us
    who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written,

"I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the cleverness of the clever I
    will set aside." (1 Corinthians 1:18-19)
    How much do you want to bet he doesn't?!
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    24 Jun '11 09:49
    Originally posted by sonhouse

The God Helmet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_helmet
  11. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    24 Jun '11 09:50
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I took the Right Brain/Left Brain Quiz on the web the following is the result:

The higher of these two numbers below indicates which side of your brain has dominance in your life. Realising your right brain/left brain tendancy will help you interact with and to understand others.

Left Brain Dominance: (8)
    Right Brain Dominance: (5)

Addition: Why am I not an Atheist?
    You're too scared.
  12. St. Peter's
    Moves
    24 Jun '11 12:23
    it makes perfect sense, that's what makes you so angry
  13. St. Peter's
    Moves
    24 Jun '11 12:29
    1."God is, or He is not"

2. A Game is being played... where heads or tails will turn up.

3. According to reason, you can defend neither of the propositions.

4. You must wager. It is not optional.

5. Let us weigh the gain and the loss in wagering that God is. Let us estimate these two chances. If you gain, you gain all; if you lose, you lose nothing.

6. Wager, then, without hesitation that He is. (...) There is here an infinity of an infinitely happy life to gain, a chance of gain against a finite number of chances of loss, and what you stake is finite. And so our proposition is of infinite force, when there is the finite to stake in a game where there are equal risks of gain and of loss, and the infinite to gain.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Jun '11 12:52
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    What about Pascal's wager doesn't make good sense to you?
    It doesn't make any sense unless you are trying to justify holding irrational beliefs. Maybe you could give your understanding of the wager and I will point out why it doesn't make any sense.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Jun '11 12:53
    Originally posted by Doward
    it makes perfect sense, that's what makes you so angry
    What gave you the incorrect idea that I am angry?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree