1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Jun '11 03:382 edits
    Originally posted by josephw
    There's only one God.
    Which god is that then? Why do other people have different opinions about that? Why can't they have their own god?
    Even YOUR god says 'thou shalt have no other gods before me'. So it seems it already knew there was more than one god.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    26 Jun '11 03:52
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Which god is that then? Why do other people have different opinions about that? Why can't they have their own god?
    Even YOUR god says 'thou shalt have no other gods before me'. So it seems it already knew there was more than one god.
    Jeez! Are you dense?

People make up gods all the time. There are lots of gods, but there is only one God.

"Thou shalt have no other gods before me". Which god do YOU have before God sonhouse? Is it money? Sex? Your career? Anything? Nothing? Yourself?
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Jun '11 08:25
    Originally posted by Doward
    You're being obtuse.
    In what way?

T- you have been exposed as a fraud.
    In what way am I a fraud? What am I pretending to be that I am not?

In this thread and others you have been shown rational and reasoned ideas for the belief in a creator.
    I am yet to be convinced of that.

Many intelligent men of science, reason and philosophy have come to the conclusion that a deity exists.
    That is not true. Many intelligent men of science, reason and philosophy, who believed in a deity, tried to back up their beliefs with reason and philosophy. I must note though that Pascals wager is based on the fact that Pascal was unable to come to the conclusion of the existence of a deity so he was forced to look further afield to find an excuse for his beliefs.

For that reason and others your argument does not hold water.
    How does my argument regarding Pascals wager have anything to do with how many men of science, reason and philosophy were theists? It looks like you simply cannot support the wager with logic so you are floundering.

Furthermore I would go so far as to say that you know it doesn't hold water, and that is the source of your angry and bitter nature
    What gives you the idea I am angry and bitter?
  4. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    26 Jun '11 09:50
    Originally posted by Doward
    much of what we call modern science was pioneered by people like him during the age of enlightenment
    Of course it was. This doesn't have any bearing on my previous point, however.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Jun '11 15:181 edit
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    He did die in 1662 however, and his ignorance of modern science does rather reduce the validity of his opinion today, regardless of his intellect.
    This reminds me that several years ago, I saw a scientist on Television
    here in the USA, that said he had wasted much time because he had been
    taught evolution in school and he believed it. He can concentrate on
    real science now that he no longer believes in evolution.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Jun '11 15:21
    Jeez! Are you dense?

People make up gods all the time. There are lots of gods, but there is only one God.

"Thou shalt have no other gods before me". Which god do YOU have before God sonhouse? Is it money? Sex? Your career? Anything? Nothing? Yourself?
    Looks to me like your God meant other Gods, not human worship symbols. So there must be other Gods.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    26 Jun '11 17:11
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Looks to me like your God meant other Gods, not human worship symbols. So there must be other Gods.
    Oh, so now you capitalise gods.

Besides, you're just pretending to not understand. There is only one God and creator of all that exists. But man doesn't want Him around, so he invents other gods.

Psalms 96:5 - For all the gods of the nations are idols: but the LORD made the heavens.
  8. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    26 Jun '11 21:42
    Oh, so now you capitalise gods.

Besides, you're just pretending to not understand. There is only one God and creator of all that exists. But man doesn't want Him around, so he invents other gods.

Psalms 96:5 - For all the gods of the nations are idols: but the LORD made the heavens.
    Stateing passages from the Bible proves nothing.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    26 Jun '11 21:49
    Originally posted by buckky
    Stateing passages from the Bible proves nothing.
    Actually the opposite is true.

Romans 3:4 - God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar;

God is true, and everything He says is true.
  10. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    27 Jun '11 00:51
    Actually the opposite is true.

Romans 3:4 - God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar;

God is true, and everything He says is true.
    If you think God is a Book then you must look at things very different way than me. Do you worship the Bible ? Have you made a Golden Calf out of the Bible ? All religions have their Holy Books, but I can't see turning an object into a God.
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    27 Jun '11 01:25
    Originally posted by buckky
    If you think God is a Book then you must look at things very different way than me. Do you worship the Bible ? Have you made a Golden Calf out of the Bible ? All religions have their Holy Books, but I can't see turning an object into a God.
    Man, that's strange of you to say that. I mean, I think God is a book? That's obtuse.

Do you really think I'm that dense?

You had said, "Stateing passages from the Bible proves nothing." How do you know? Maybe, just maybe buckky, you are wrong, and the "Word of God" is in the Bible.

It just so happens that I know it's true. Absolutely true.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree