1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 01:50
    How important is it to Christians and to their beliefs about themselves?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 01:51
    'Personal pastor' Paula White says Trump serious about faith -- even if not fluent in "Christianese"

The Donald Trump that Florida evangelical minister Paula White sees is a good listener, a man who takes his faith seriously while not always being fluent in “Christianese” and, unlike so many of his predecessors, a politician who has kept his promises to faith voters and evangelical Christian groups after he won the presidency with the help of their votes. [...]

Ms. White repeatedly insists in an interview that Mr. Trump’s spiritual growth in the 18 years she has known him “comes from a much deeper place” than the so-called “prosperity theology” — the belief that spiritual and financial success are part of God’s plan for believing Christians — that detractors accuse him of following.

“He holds his faith close to his chest and is not as open about it as some people,” she said.

“When he first talked of running for president, he was a career businessman who was new to campaigning and didn’t know how to speak what I call ‘Christianese,’” she recalled. “But I actually liked that about him, then and now — he wasn’t a polished politician or preacher. When he spoke of his faith, he was speaking from the heart.” Whole aqrticle: https://tinyurl.com/y72d52l9

Is fluency in "Christianese" significant? Is there some kind of minimum requirement ~ if so, what is it?
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 05:54
    @fmf said
    'Personal pastor' Paula White says Trump serious about faith -- even if not fluent in "Christianese"

[quote]The Donald Trump that Florida evangelical minister Paula White sees is a good listener, a man who takes his faith seriously while not always being fluent in “Christianese” and, unlike so many of his predecessors, a politician who has kept his promises to faith vot ...[text shortened]... luency in "Christianese" significant? Is there some kind of minimum requirement ~ if so, what is it?
    Never heard of the term.
    Personally I wouldn’t take any notice of Paula White or any of the American “prosperity” TV evangelists.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 08:27
    @divegeester said
    Never heard of the term.
    Personally I wouldn’t take any notice of Paula White or any of the American “prosperity” TV evangelists.
    <Personally I wouldn’t take any notice of Paula White>

You just did take notice of her.
  5. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 11:40
    @fmf said

[quote]The Donald Trump that Florida evangelical minister Paula White sees is a good listener, a man who takes his faith seriously while not always being fluent in “Christianese” and, unlike so many of his predecessors, a politician who has kept his promises to faith vot ...[text shortened]... luency in "Christianese" significant? Is there some kind of minimum requirement ~ if so, what is it?
    Knowledge of God's Word and the practice of applying it the heart and personal conduct.
  6. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 11:41
    @divegeester said
    Never heard of the term.
    No mature Christian does.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 11:45
    @divegeester said
    I could be mistaken, but I am pretty sure Paula White is not a proponent of “prosperity theology”.
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 12:28
    @fmf said

Its a communication issue, I didn't become a Christian until my mid twenties, until
    then I didn't hang around any Christians, they were not part of my life at all. When
    I became a Christian I realized Christianese was something I had to figure out, and
    later it now makes sense. I can tell that that those that grew up in the Church have
    different perspectives from those like me who found Jesus later than life. Nothing
    wrong with them, not attempting to justify any fault or claim there is a fault. The
    reality is when you grow up in the world without God, then Jesus turns you
    around and changes everything gives you a perspective you don't get growing up
    with believers your whole life, the life experiences are just different.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 17:23
    @fmf said
    I could be mistaken, but I am pretty sure Paula White is not a proponent of “prosperity theology”.
    Don’t confuse tiger with facts. He’s hung over and his left ear is still ringing from a pub trollop slapping him.
  10. S. Korea
    Moves
    15 Oct '18 04:03
    There's some obligation to be informed and to prayer.

There is no obligation to do these things super publicly because that would quickly escalate into vainglorious displays like as a Pharisee.

But sure, IDK...

This ties in a bit with the issue of Dive's heresy in the sense that... To what degree does someone have to be doctrinally sound and dogmatic.

IDK.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Oct '18 04:23
    @fmf said
    Not sure personally, but according to Wikipedia she is.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Oct '18 04:27
    @philokalia said
    There's some obligation to be informed and to prayer.

There is no obligation to do these things super publicly because that would quickly escalate into vainglorious displays like as a Pharisee.

But sure, IDK...

This ties in a bit with the issue of Dive's heresy in the sense that... To what degree does someone have to be doctrinally sound and dogmatic.

IDK.
    You “don’t know” and are just speculating... but you think that whatever it is that you “don’t know” is “tied in with my (alleged) heresy about a completely different subject altogether?

But then you “don’t know” again.
  13. S. Korea
    Moves
    15 Oct '18 04:33
    @divegeester said
    You “don’t know” and are just speculating... but you think that whatever it is that you “don’t know” is “tied in with my (alleged) heresy about a completely different subject altogether?

But then you “don’t know” again.
    Your heresy is not alleged. It's absolutely factual by the canons of the Orthodox or Catholic church, and the statements of faith and doctrines found in every single Protestant church I really know of.

Your heresy is a sign not only of ignorance, but the belief that you can actually question the Bible, which is pretty extreme.

But of course, I do not know what this means for you or for other heretics of similarly "middling" level heresies. Middling only because there are some pretty big monster heresies out there. It is actually quite grave.

But yes, we can never know.

But the Book of Revelations does imply that anyoen that takes away from the book (the Gospels as a whole) is in grave danger of hellfire.

But I cannot judge any of this. I repeat.

It's an important distinction and I think you understand.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Oct '18 04:35
    @philokalia said
    But the Book of Revelations does imply that anyoen that takes away from the book (the Gospels as a whole) is in grave danger of hellfire.
    What is this "hellfire", according to your beliefs? What does it entail?
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Oct '18 04:433 edits
    @philokalia said
    Your heresy is not alleged. It's absolutely factual by the canons of the Orthodox or Catholic church, and the statements of faith and doctrines found in every single Protestant church I really know of. Your heresy is a sign not only of ignorance, but the belief that you can actually question the Bible, which is pretty extreme.
    Firstly I don’t recognise the cannons of the orthodox or Catholic Churches as being anything other that a construct of corporate religiosity.

Secondly, I’m pretty sure that in both of those It requires that in order to accuse someone of heresy you need to put together a documented case. Have you put together a documented case Jacob?

I have made many cases that what you believe about eternal suffering is appalling heresy. About an hour ago I put an example of making a case in one of the other sonship threads whereby I’m asking any of you hellers to pick through the fog of metaphors and call out the literal elements...

I’m not expecting to see you in there of course as you are a gutless intellectual weed.

Edit: Here you go Jacob Thread 178755 page 7

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree