1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    22 Dec '11 13:061 edit
    Foolishness


    "For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness, but unto us which are saved it is the power of God." I Cor 1:18

    Speculation: Sooner or later, each of us is somebody's fool. Thoughts.


    gb
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    22 Dec '11 13:14
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Foolishness


    "For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness, but unto us which are saved it is the power of God." I Cor 1:18

    Speculation: Sooner or later, each of us is somebody's fool. Thoughts.


    gb[/b]
    What does the 19th verse look like?
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    22 Dec '11 13:40
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    What does the 19th verse look like?
    "For it is written, "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the cleverness of the clever I will set aside." NASB (1995)


    Personal Note: My 93 year old Mom (with whom you exchanged several Christmas
    Greeting in Swedish a few years ago) departed this life Tuesday a week ago.

    gb
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    22 Dec '11 13:53
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "For it is written, "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the cleverness of the clever I will set aside." NASB (1995)


    Personal Note: My 93 year old Mom (with whom you exchanged several Christmas
    Greeting in Swedish a few years ago) departed this life Tuesday a week ago.

    gb
    I'm really sorry to hear that about your Mom. I helped her, you know, with some translations some years ago, and she thanked me a lot. My thoughts are with her.

    Back on topic:
    It is written that he (god or StPaul?) would destroy the wisdom of the wise? Okay, doesn't sound pretty. This is very authorative! I says "If you don't agree with me, then you are wrong, and I will destroy you to the point that you agree with me in the minute detail."

    "I have the full facts! Don't bother anything else. Don't discuss, don't even think anything else that is not sanctionned with me."

    The greeks invented the democracy. This sounds more like teocracy. Do we really want that?
  5. Wat?
    Joined
    16 Aug '05
    Moves
    76863
    22 Dec '11 14:28
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "For it is written, "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the cleverness of the clever I will set aside." NASB (1995)


    Personal Note: My 93 year old Mom (with whom you exchanged several Christmas
    Greeting in Swedish a few years ago) departed this life Tuesday a week ago.

    gb
    If my mother had passed away GB, I certainly wouldn't be posting on RHP the same day, nor the day after! 🙁

    -m.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    22 Dec '11 15:13
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I'm really sorry to hear that about your Mom. I helped her, you know, with some translations some years ago, and she thanked me a lot. My thoughts are with her.

    Back on topic:
    It is written that he (god or StPaul?) would destroy the wisdom of the wise? Okay, doesn't sound pretty. This is very authorative! I says "If you don't agree with me, then you a ...[text shortened]... greeks invented the democracy. This sounds more like teocracy. Do we really want that?
    Your summary of these authoritative words is essentially correct. Only slight omission is

    that nothing is ever mandated. Volition is never coerced. God gives each of us a choice.

    gb
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    22 Dec '11 15:161 edit
    Originally posted by mikelom
    If my mother had passed away GB, I certainly wouldn't be posting on RHP the same day, nor the day after! 🙁

    -m.
    Tuesday a week ago she departed... a glorious day. I was at peace with the eventuality

    long before the event. Those who choose to fall apart have a perfect right to do so.

    😉
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    22 Dec '11 15:27
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Your summary of these authoritative words is essentially correct. Only slight omission is

    that nothing is ever mandated. Volition is never coerced. God gives each of us a choice.

    gb
    No, he doesn't. He says "Obey me, because if you go against my will, then you go to hell when you die." That threat doesn't give me a choice.
    In this sense he is not a god of love, but a revencheful god.
  9. Wat?
    Joined
    16 Aug '05
    Moves
    76863
    22 Dec '11 15:50
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Tuesday a week ago she departed... a glorious day. I was at peace with the eventuality

    long before the event. Those who choose to faal apart have a perfect right to do so.

    😉
    I can't agree that the day of losing one's mother is a 'glorious' day, no matter the circumstances GB.

    And even though you say you were prepared, were you not with her and her deceased being through those moments?

    No matter the ifs or buts, but being there and holding and being present would surmount any compassion I have, would have had under such circumstances, as for being online and posting at RHP.

    Can't you see even that outline of respect?

    -m.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35519
    22 Dec '11 16:16
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    No, he doesn't. He says "Obey me, because if you go against my will, then you go to hell when you die." That threat doesn't give me a choice.
    In this sense he is not a god of love, but a revencheful god.
    Did you mean He is a vengeful God? Of course He is, to those who would sin against Him. Sin is abhorrent to God. Period.
  11. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Joined
    21 Aug '06
    Moves
    11458
    22 Dec '11 16:311 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Did you mean He is a vengeful God? Of course He is, to those who would sin against Him. Sin is abhorrent to God. Period.
    Sin is abhorrent to God. Period.
    and since "Sin" means nothing more than *that which "God" doesn't like* then the above can be paraphrased as:

    The doing of anything which "God" doesn't like is abhorrent to "God"

    That doesn't excuse him from being a dick
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    22 Dec '11 16:46
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    No, he doesn't. He says "Obey me, because if you go against my will, then you go to hell when you die." That threat doesn't give me a choice.
    In this sense he is not a god of love, but a revencheful god.
    No way for me to know of your status but if you have children or nephews and nieces... have you ever cautioned an independent minded child attempting to cross a busy street of the impending danger of the oncoming blindside traffic or disciplined a disobedient child for his/her own ultimate good or warned an incorrigible young person bent on a high risk career in crime or drugs of the devasting consequences... ever occur to you that God Almighty is pleading with us to seriously consider the options of acceptance of His Gracious Gift of Salvation through Faith Alone in Christ and permanent relationship with Him or the consequences of rejection?

    gb
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    22 Dec '11 16:561 edit
    Originally posted by mikelom
    I can't agree that the day of losing one's mother is a 'glorious' day, no matter the circumstances GB.

    And even though you say you were prepared, were you not with her and her deceased being through those moments?

    No matter the ifs or buts, but being there and holding and being present would surmount any compassion I have, would have had under such cir ...[text shortened]... for being online and posting at RHP.

    Can't you see even that outline of respect?

    -m.
    It's all about faith in a person now become sight and seeing Him as He is... and about a homecoming/reunion with family and friends who preceeded her in death also believing in Christ. If she had rejected Christ and I knew I would never see her again, of course I would grieve and mourn and despair and fall apart as those do every day of the week all over the world who have no hope.

    gb
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    22 Dec '11 17:13
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Did you mean He is a vengeful God? Of course He is, to those who would sin against Him. Sin is abhorrent to God. Period.
    (*shrug*)

    I cannot, for my life, worship a god that is evil. Never.
    And god agree, because he hasn't punished me. I doubt he ever will.

    As long as Santa is a loving god, he is a better god.
  15. Wat?
    Joined
    16 Aug '05
    Moves
    76863
    22 Dec '11 17:20
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    It's all about faith in a person now become sight and seeing Him as He is... and about a homecoming/reunion with family and friends who preceeded her in death also believing in Christ. If she had rejected Christ and I knew I would never see her again, of course I would grieve and mourn and despair and fall apart as those do every day of the week all over the world who have no hope.

    gb
    You didn't answer my question, and if you did it was with vagueness.

    I was not talking about mourning, despair nor grievance.

    I was saying don't you think you should have been there for your mother's passed moments, despite agreed faiths?

    It's almost like you are saying you wish for nobody to be there upon your passing.

    As for those you believe have no hope all over the world, I think you need to contemplate that statement itself, never mind my question. 🙁

    -m.
Back to Top