1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    28 Oct '12 17:19
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Well, you do the best you can. Inasmuch as moral frameworks are things we're supposed to be able to adopt, inhabit and use, to the extent that consequences matter, it's probably only the reasonably foreseeable consequences with which we ought concern ourselves. What would I do? I don't understand that question.
    I should have asked "What should be done about the negative aspects of the internet?"

You said, "I think the ease with which people can access the internet chills social interaction, messes with human memory, attention and, correspondingly, deliberation, and entrenches the polarization of people due to the ease with which they can find information that supports whatever opinions they already hold." I can see evidence of all those things.

What I mean to get at, is whether there are measures that can be taken that are effective in eliminating or reducing to an acceptable level, the negative aspects of the internet; measures that do not have adverse consequences that make us regret having taken them? This need not be answered here and now. It might just be food for thought.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree