1. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    27 Jul '05 08:20
    Originally posted by aardvarkhome
    Scripture claims a young earth! Now please, are you serious. Why not go all the way and tell us about a geocentric solar system and throw in a flat earth for good measure
    Or how the Big Fish in the OT's Jonah story evolved into a NT whale.
  2. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    27 Jul '05 09:411 edit
    Foul!!! For creationists only!
  3. Joined
    07 Jul '04
    Moves
    27 Jul '05 13:20
    Scripture claims a young earth! Now please, are you serious. Why not go all the way and tell us about a geocentric solar system and throw in a flat earth for good measure
    To my knowledge scripture does not claim a young earth.

Genesis 1:1 Says that in the begining God created the Heavans and the Earth which just says that God created everything. The rest of the creation story speaks of God's creative activity on the earth but doesn't say anything about the time issue. It could have been millions or even billions of years after the creation (at least from our perspective), it just doesn't say.

Jeff
  4. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    27 Jul '05 13:31
    Originally posted by jebry

Genesis 1:1 Says that in the begining God created the Heavans and the Earth which just says that God created everything. The rest of the creation story speaks of God's creative activity on the earth but doesn't say anything about the time issue. It could have been millions or even billions of years after the creation (at least from our perspective), it just doesn't say.

Jeff
    Um... er... Does it really not say anything about tiime frames in there? First day, second day ... sixth day, seventh day? Is this not a measure of time?
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    27 Jul '05 13:38
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Um... er... Does it really not say anything about tiime frames in there? First day, second day ... sixth day, seventh day? Is this not a measure of time?
    Yeah, but don't forget the famous disclaimer, that one day for His Nibs can mean virtually any length of time (it's in Psalms somewhere).

The latent anthropomorphism in the description of the Big Guy's Working Week makes me smile tenderly.
  6. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    27 Jul '05 13:46
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Yeah, but don't forget the famous disclaimer, that one day for His Nibs can mean virtually any length of time (it's in Psalms somewhere).

The latent anthropomorphism in the description of the Big Guy's Working Week makes me smile tenderly.
    But somewhere else, I think its in Peter, it says that a great length of time is like a day or a second, so which one do we take? Hmmmm...
  7. Joined
    07 Jul '04
    Moves
    27 Jul '05 13:47
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Not for the actual creation of the earth. The six days all occur after the creation of the earth in 1:1 and there is no indication of the amount of 'time' from that creation to the first day.

Jeff
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    27 Jul '05 13:48
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    the age of the earth rocks.

Western Greenland, the Amitsoq gneisses.
    Technique Age Range (billion years)
    uranium-lead 3.60±0.05
    lead-lead 3.56±0.10
    lead-lead 3.74±0.12
    lead-lead 3.62±0.13
    rubidium-strontium 3.64±0.06
    rubidium-strontium 3.62±0.14
    rubidium-strontium 3.67±0.09
    rubidium-strontium 3.66±0.10
    rubidium-strontium 3.61±0.2 ...[text shortened]... esently employed in the Space & Atmospheric Sciences Group at the Los Alamos National Laboratory
    Okay, I'm talking about gene pools you want to deal now in the age
    of the rocks? Changing the subject will not make my question go
    away.
    Kelly
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    27 Jul '05 13:49
    I'd like to stay on topic, tell me how many gene pools were there in
    at the beginning of life, one or several different types, then let us
    discuss how you came to know that? That was the subject!
    Kelly
  10. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    27 Jul '05 13:50
    Not for the actual creation of the earth. The six days all occur after the creation of the earth in 1:1 and there is no indication of the amount of 'time' from that creation to the first day.

Jeff
    Maybe I'm reading mine wrong, or I've got the wrong end of the stick, but I understand the creation of the heavens and the earth to be the first day.
  11. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    27 Jul '05 13:52
    Oops! I hope we're not hogging the thread...
  12. Joined
    07 Jul '04
    Moves
    27 Jul '05 13:591 edit
    Well, let's look at it:

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
    2 Now the earth was [a] formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

3 And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and He separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

Maybe I'm wrong in my interpretation but it reads to me like the earth was created and all that was created on the first day was light. Of course, all of the six creation days relate to God's work on the earth only.

Jeff

BTW, the [a] went to a footnote at Bible Gateway which says that the word was could be translated as became. I just wanted to add that to keep the quote complete.

13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    27 Jul '05 14:01

Jeff
    Exodus 20:11
    For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

Sure it does, it says six days here and else where.
    Kelly
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    27 Jul '05 14:05
    Well, let's look at it:

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
    2 Now the earth was [a] formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

3 And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and He separated the light ...[text shortened]... rd was could be translated as became. I just wanted to add that to keep the quote complete.

Genesis 1
    31 God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the sixth day.

After speaking about everything made we get this line. It seems
    quite strait forward everything was made in six days.
    Kelly
  15. Joined
    07 Jul '04
    Moves
    27 Jul '05 14:20
    Hey KellyJay!

Very good points as always. I still think that Moses may have been speaking of creation as it applies to man in these verses, but let me do some reading and studying and get back to you on this. I do have some thoughts that I would appreciate your imput on but I want to take the time to put them correctly.

Jeff

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree