1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Mar '13 00:33
    Originally posted by sonship
    This as opposed to being a defeated believer. Every backslider and every true Christian who now claims to be no longer a follower of Jesus is some kind of defeated brother or sister who was overcome by something.
    This stuff about being "defeated" and a "backslider" is purely from the point of view of the person who continues to subscribe to the beliefs and is meaningless to the person who no longer believes.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Mar '13 00:513 edits
    This stuff about being "defeated" and a "backslider" is purely from the point of view of the person who continues to subscribe to the beliefs and is meaningless to the person who no longer believes.

I think that would be obvious.

Anyway, I had a time as a young boy when God was real to me. Then I had a long dark tunnel in which I was apathetic, having too much "fun" to think about it, agnostic, Deist, Zen Buddhist, Rosecrucian, and probably some other purely self invented philosophies.

Then I was the lost sheep brought back by the Good Shepherd.

Now I am talking about ME. I am speaking of my experience.
    I remember those days as a backslidden Christian who had amnesia. I simply could not remember how Christ was real to me before. I didn't even understand the relationship of God and Jesus.

I had amnesia for some years. And I could be sarcastic and skeptical.
    Maybe because of this I can be very patient with some skeptical people.
    (Some).
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Mar '13 01:03
    Now I am talking about ME. I am speaking of my experience.
    Yes indeed. It works both ways. Nothing that you say, hope or imagine, has any impact whatsoever on the reality of my life, on my experience, on my intellect, or on my personal spiritual path. I interpret almost everything you assert as merely you geeing yourself up rather than you trying to impart anything meaningful to me. If you reckon you have had some sort of "amnesia" at some point, that's fine. I certainly don't have anything akin to "amnesia".
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 Mar '13 01:04

I think that would be obvious.

Anyway, I had a time as a young boy when God was real to me. Then I had a long dark tunnel in which I wa ...[text shortened]... cal.
    Maybe because of this I can be very patient with some skeptical people.
    (Some).
    ... blackout of the soul.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Mar '13 01:08
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    ... blackout of the soul.
    If nothing else, your comment will at least fit on a fridge magnet. 😀
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Mar '13 01:23
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes indeed. It works both ways. Nothing that you say, hope or imagine, has any impact whatsoever on the reality of my life, on my experience, on my intellect, or on my personal spiritual path. I interpret almost everything you assert as merely you geeing yourself up rather than you trying to impart anything meaningful to me. If you reckon you have had some sort ...[text shortened]... f "amnesia" at some point, that's fine. I certainly don't have anything akin to "amnesia".
    God is faithful.
  7. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    18 Mar '13 01:281 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I'm not contributing to this discussion at all.

Just like a few in here already who also happen to think that they ARE contributing.

I do admire sumydid for bringing it up.

I'm just going to sit back and watch the wheels turn, if that's alright.
    I got what I should have expected. A torrent of answers posed as questions.

Funny how most skeptics squirm in their chairs and spout off with questions and thinly veiled hostility, when asked a simple yes or no question.

FMF, for everyone else's benefit and certainly not for yours, the point is this. IF you ever were a Christian and now you aren't. Then you'll have to explain how you devoted your life to Christ in the past, but were totally wrong and (obviously) ignorant and foolish... and then explain to the rest of us why you should now be trusted to have become a completely different person -- incapable of being duped this time.

Someone pretended earlier in a post to think that all it takes to be Christian is go to church every Sunday... if that's what you skeptics think a true Christian is, then no wonder you some of you--without hesitation--carry your "former Christian" banners--and do so in complete ignorance. The banner should more aptly read "Former ignorant, fake Christian."

There, I said it. And it's true. I'm not going to bother with all the answers posed as questions. Thanks.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 Mar '13 01:35
    Originally posted by FMF

If nothing else, your comment will at least fit on a fridge magnet. 😀
    ... roughly equivalent to being smitten with a purple funk.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Mar '13 01:382 edits
    Originally posted by sumydid
    I got what I should have expected. A torrent of answers posed as questions. Funny how most skeptics squirm in their chairs and spout off with questions and thinly veiled hostility, when asked a simple yes or no question. [...] I'm not going to bother with all the answers posed as questions. Thanks.

I think you misunderstand. They were not attempted "answers" there is a problem with the premise of your OP. You were being asked to clarify. Three people have asked you to do so.

Just to be clear, here is my version of the question-about-the-premise again:

sumydid: I guess I can clarify, since I've already admitted from the outset that I do not believe anyone who isn't Christian was ever Christian.

FMF: Doesn't this mean that we do not know for sure that you are a "bona fide" Christian because we don't know if you're going stop being one at some point in the future?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Mar '13 01:431 edit
    FMF, for everyone else's benefit and certainly not for yours, the point is this. IF you ever were a Christian and now you aren't. Then you'll have to explain how you devoted your life to Christ in the past, but were totally wrong and (obviously) ignorant and foolish... and then explain to the rest of us why you should now be trusted to have become a completely different person -- incapable of being duped this time.

No I am not going to explain how I devoted my life to Christ in the past. I have never described myself as "ignorant and foolish" for having the beliefs that I did. These are your words, not mine, and you seem to be trying to attribute them to me. The same goes for the word "duped". I have never used that word. I don't really need you to "trust" me. I take you at your word when you say you are a Christian. I assume you can return the courtesy when I say I was a Christian, but if not it's OK by me.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Mar '13 01:464 edits
    [It's] no wonder you some of you--without hesitation--carry your "former Christian" banners--and do so in complete ignorance. The banner should more aptly read "Former ignorant, fake Christian."
    Who are these people you are referring to when you say "some of you"? Do you mean Paul Dirac II?

Someone pretended earlier in a post to think that all it takes to be Christian is go to church every Sunday...

Nobody on the first three pages of this thread has used the words "Sunday" or "church" except you. Who is it you claim said "all it takes to be Christian is go to church every Sunday"? I would like to go back and read that post again. Which one is it?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Mar '13 01:53
    God is faithful.
    I am fully aware of your belief. You seem to forget that I was a Christian for almost three decades.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Mar '13 02:06
    Originally posted by FMF
    I am fully aware of your belief. You seem to forget that I was a Christian for almost three decades.
    I got it. You really, really, really really once loved Jesus. Now you don't love Jesus anymore and you don't even believe the Bible.

I still love the Lord Jesus. And I am thankful that for such a God even 1,000 years is as one day.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Mar '13 02:082 edits
    I got it. You really, really, really really once loved Jesus. Now you don't love Jesus anymore and you don't even believe the Bible.
    That's right. And the way I see it, you typing "really, really, really, really" four times in a row like this is all about you and nothing at all to do with me. 🙂
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Mar '13 02:26
    Originally posted by FMF
    That's right. And the way I see it, you typing "really, really, really, really" four times in a row like this is all about you and nothing at all to do with me. 🙂
    You said I didn't understand. I understand what it is that you want me to understand.

"I was the REAL McCoy boy!! And now I really know better. "

Okay. I'll tell you what. I don't understand. Okay?
    There. Have it your way.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree