1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 May '18 08:102 edits
    Casual dishonesty™

I will define this forum phenomena as being the intellectually lazy use of dishonesty/lies to circumvent another poster’s well made point.

Types of casual dishonesty can be: pretending to misunderstand another writers post, applying an arbiarty inference to distil an extreme from it, deliberately creating a strawman version of it, avoiding the post altogether, disappearing from the forum for a few days when intellectually “checkmated”, plagiarism and/or using unreferenced material originated by someone else, using a spurious domestic issue as an excuse to not post, pretending to be someone else when engaging in debate with the same poster in order to rake over previous questions, posting swathes of ‘countermeasure’ style verbiage to bury a well made point, deflecting from the poster’s point through use of snide invective etc etc etc

I will refrain from giving specific examples in this OP but I will invite further suggestions for “types” of casual dishonesty™ and your thoughts its legitimacy as a forum mechanism.

For reference:

Forum etiquette Thread 158399 March 2014

Forum etiquette #2 Thread 172539 April 2017
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    10 May '18 08:121 edit
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    [b]Casual dishonesty

I will define this forum phenomena as being the intellectually lazy use of dishonesty/lies to circumvent another poster’s well made point.

Types of casual dishonesty can be: pretending to misunderstand another writers post, applying an arbiarty inference to distil an extreme from it, deliberately creating a strawman versi ...[text shortened]... readid]158399[/threadid] March 2014

Forum etiquette #2 Thread 172539 April 2017[/b]
    You could add creating a second account and using it without having the balls to admit it to the list. Btw do you know what happened to twhitehead?
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    10 May '18 08:30
    [b]Casual dishonesty™

Types of casual dishonesty can be: pretending to misunderstand another writers post, applying an arbiarty inference to distil an extreme from it, deliberately creating a strawman vers ...[text shortened]... readid]158399[/threadid] March 2014

Forum etiquette #2 Thread 172539 April 2017[/b]
    Is this a good use of your time, tiger? How’s your report on “I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud” coming?

The words aren’t just going to magically appear on your paper. You’ve gotta put on your thinking cap and put your nose to the grindstone, tiger.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    10 May '18 08:50
    Nothing shuts a thread down faster than me posting about tiger.

So hilarious. It’s the equivalent of putting a padlock on a thread and tossing the key down a storm drain.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 May '18 09:25
    Casual dishonesty™
    Example: evasive counter-questions instead of answers. These are not quite the same as posing questions that both imply quite clearly what the answer to the question is AND move the conversation forward at the same time.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    10 May '18 09:38
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Example: evasive counter-questions instead of answers. These are not quite the same as posing questions that both imply quite clearly what the answer to the question is AND move the conversation forward at the same time.
    Falsely claiming to have answered difficult questions in the past.

Expecting other posters to answer endless streams of questions while refusing to answer a single question in return.

Asking the same question 20 different ways in an attempt to get a different answer.

Getting nervous, angry or scared and poisoning a substantive conversation with pool whizzing.
  7. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    10 May '18 09:45
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    Falsely claiming to have answered difficult questions in the past.

Expecting other posters to answer endless streams of questions while refusing to answer a single question in return.

Asking the same question 20 different ways in an attempt to get a different answer.

Getting nervous, angry or scared and poisoning a substantive conversation with pool whizzing.
    You could also add accusing other posters of using two accounts when in a tight spot and then refusing to answer whether you yourself have used more than one account.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    10 May '18 09:55
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    You could also add accusing other posters of using two accounts when in a tight spot and then refusing to answer whether you yourself have used more than one account.
    Yes, that’s a great point.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    10 May '18 10:05
    Lying about one’s educational background and/or occupation to create a false appearance of authority.
  10. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    10 May '18 10:142 edits
    Attacking a poster with insults and resorting to name calling when you can't handle their arguments as admirably demonstrated by Rajk and Dive (a.k.a tiger) on occasion.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 May '18 15:23
    Wow, a few real examples just flew into this thread like flies into a zapper.
  12. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 May '18 15:43
    Wow, a few real examples just flew into this thread like flies into a zapper.
    Abusing personal and factual information shared by another poster is a very lazy and cowardly forum tactic IMO, where such information is used as childish ammunition rather than an opportunity for grown-up dialogue.

"Hi, my name's Steve and I'm a doctor."
    "You're lying. You post here too often to be a doctor. Instead of showing any interest in your profession I'm going to call you a liar on a daily basis and make crass comments about your imaginary patients."

Sad.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 May '18 16:09
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Abusing personal and factual information shared by another poster is a very lazy and cowardly forum tactic IMO, where such information is used as childish ammunition rather than an opportunity for grown-up dialogue.

"You're lying. You post here too often to be a doctor. Instead of showing any interest in ...[text shortened]... l you a liar on a daily basis and make crass comments about your imaginary patients."

Sad.
    The value factor has gone downhill in here in recent months, generally speaking, but that can happen from time to time. I find the relationship between the “religious” and their integrity is the interesting factor.
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    10 May '18 16:36
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    Nothing shuts a thread down faster than me posting about tiger.

So hilarious. It’s the equivalent of putting a padlock on a thread and tossing the key down a storm drain.
    Name one example where such posts have caused the thread to shut down. Not saying to stop doing it at all. I think you should continue, because I rather enjoy seeing you made a a$$ of yourself.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    10 May '18 17:06
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke

"You're lying. You post here too often to be a doctor. Instead of showing any interest in ...[text shortened]... l you a liar on a daily basis and make crass comments about your imaginary patients."

Sad.
    Hi, my name’s Bob and I have a theology degree.

Hi Bob!

Did you all hear about the “talking snake” in Genesis and how books in the Bible were written “decades apart?”
    Did you know that God is an “outside agent” in a Christian’s life? Did you all know that Christians and Muslims worship the same God but just call Him different names?

Ahhhh, feel free to have a seat, Bob.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree