li guess all ive known is the bible belt
    You have my sympathy!
  2. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '08 06:31
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    You have my sympathy!
    ty. you try living w/ religious fanatics after becoming atheist recently lmao jk. i dont mind
  3. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    18 Feb '08 06:47
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    lol yes. i dont know much about the world cuz idc about it, i guess all ive known is the bible belt because i havent been to many states in the u.s. so when talking about the u.s., is it still the majority of theists believe in evolution or is that only the world as a whole?
    I couldn't be definitive about the US. I've visited a couple of times but most of what I know about your country is from outside commentary on it.
    It seems to me to be particularly religious, so I would guess it's a large percentage that have the sort of views you describe on evolution.
    Not like that in Australia, where creationist views are distinctly in the minority ...
  4. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '08 06:57
    Originally posted by amannion
    I couldn't be definitive about the US. I've visited a couple of times but most of what I know about your country is from outside commentary on it.
    It seems to me to be particularly religious, so I would guess it's a large percentage that have the sort of views you describe on evolution.
    Not like that in Australia, where creationist views are distinctly in the minority ...
    i think i was being inconsiderate of the fact that there are other countries in the world besides the u.s. and it is common for americans to do that
  5. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    18 Feb '08 07:28
    i think i was being inconsiderate of the fact that there are other countries in the world besides the u.s. and it is common for americans to do that
    No problemo.
    We non-yanks know you guys think that your spot is best.
    We also know that there are some other pretty nice places in the world.
    I live in one ...
  6. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '08 07:31
    No problemo.
    We non-yanks know you guys think that your spot is best.
    We also know that there are some other pretty nice places in the world.
    I live in one ...
    for me its not that i think the u.s. is the best it just happens to be where i live currently so i care about whats going on here. if i moved some other place like canada i wouldnt care about the u.s. anymore.
  7. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    18 Feb '08 07:42
    for me its not that i think the u.s. is the best it just happens to be where i live currently so i care about whats going on here. if i moved some other place like canada i wouldnt care about the u.s. anymore.
    I like to know what's going on everywhere.
    Maybe that's just the nature of living so far away from anywhere else, but I think it's good to have a global perspective ...
  8. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '08 07:47
    I like to know what's going on everywhere.
    Maybe that's just the nature of living so far away from anywhere else, but I think it's good to have a global perspective ...
    im the type of person who doesnt really look to the future beyond my life and i guess i just dont see anything in the world that will effect me negatively in my lifetime.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Feb '08 08:151 edit
    As far as I know the official stance of the Roman Catholic Church is to support the Theory of Evolution as fact. Certainly they are not Young Earth Creationists. My family are Anglicans and they certainly are not creationists. In fact my sister did a degree in Biology.
    I have a brother in law who is Church-of-Christ, an American denomination, and he is a creationist. He is also not very well educated in the sciences. He fully admits that his beliefs do not make a lot of sense, and that his only reason for being a creationist is because of his Churches stance.
    I think all of the creationists I have met, were members of US based churches.
  10. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    18 Feb '08 08:31
    im the type of person who doesnt really look to the future beyond my life and i guess i just dont see anything in the world that will effect me negatively in my lifetime.
    Why would you only be interested in those things that affect you negatively?
    In fact, why would you be only interested in those things that affect you?

I'm interested in everything - history, politics, sports, languages, culture, religion, science, art, film, music, food, and more.
    The world is full of really interesting things.
    You should try and find out a bit more about this amazing planet we live on - and the rest of the universe too come to think of it ...
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Feb '08 14:32
    And who doesn't live far away from anywhere else? Or do you mean "no continental neighbors"? Or do you mean "anywhere else that is of any importance"?

With TV, the internet etc, its not about distance so much as language and content that matters.
  12. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    18 Feb '08 21:50
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    And who doesn't live far away from anywhere else? Or do you mean "no continental neighbors"? Or do you mean "anywhere else that is of any importance"?

With TV, the internet etc, its not about distance so much as language and content that matters.
    Jeez, don't read so much into an off the cuff statement.
    I meant simply that Australians see themselves as being particularly distant from the rest of the world - I guess it's a throwback to our European origins (some of the non-indigenous Australians anyway), since we're obviously pretty close to Indonesia and the rest of South East Asia.
  13. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Moves
    18 Feb '08 22:05
    Originally posted by snowinscotland
    What would you put in it? After all, it is only opinion what the fossil represents, so the same arguments would stand, no?
    Not really, arguments which point at gaps in the fossil record would not hold up against a single database like that.
    A creationist says the evidence isn't there, I could go to this database and have a few hundred chronologically ordered examples. A user on YouTube, ExtantDodo has two excellent videos where they went and dug up the lists the hard way, if a database existed, anyone could do the same job without having to do all the work that ExtantDodo obviously did...
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGND4bEOtS8
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=fuVDB1Zxuc8 This one is particularly good.

they add up to about 50 minutes, but they're well worth watching.
    Also, it's not a matter of opinion, the fossils are bones, of animals, whose physiological, and in some cases genetic where genetic sampling is possible, characteristics match the evolutionary model. Opinion and theoretical models are two very different things.
  14. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '08 22:52
    Why would you only be interested in those things that affect you negatively?
    In fact, why would you be only interested in those things that affect you?

I'm interested in everything - history, politics, sports, languages, culture, religion, science, art, film, music, food, and more.
    The world is full of really interesting things.
    You should try and fin ...[text shortened]... about this amazing planet we live on - and the rest of the universe too come to think of it ...
    life is way too short to learn everything so i choose what i want to learn and i learn about it. i like to learn more about people instead of the earth. we have different interests.
  15. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Moves
    18 Feb '08 23:03
    life is way too short to learn everything so i choose what i want to learn and i learn about it. i like to learn more about people instead of the earth. we have different interests.
    I'd be with you on that, I can't become an expert on polynesian politics unless there's some motivating factor. But I do think that it shouldn't take much to act as a motivating factor.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree