1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Apr '14 03:46
    Originally posted by whodey
    The ancients took astrology seriously. Even in the Bible we see the Magi gazing at the stars to see that the king of the Jews had been born.

In fact, pretty much every ancient religion combined religion with the stars. For example, the pyramids were arranged according to the constellation Orion.
    You cannot be Sirius!
  2. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    12 Apr '14 04:31
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    The true "signs in the heavens" we are told to watch for will be impossible to miss, or to ignore. But they also may come too late for most. This one is less subtle than most, but those who wish to give it less credence can and will. If Christians have questions about this particular sign, we should just ask for wisdom. We can never have 'too much' wisdom. If any want to use it as an excuse to pray and find God, I'm not going to discourage them.
    Very good Suzianne. That was impressive.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Apr '14 08:15
    Originally posted by whodey
    The ancients took astrology seriously. Even in the Bible we see the Magi gazing at the stars to see that the king of the Jews had been born.

In fact, pretty much every ancient religion combined religion with the stars. For example, the pyramids were arranged according to the constellation Orion.
    Astrology is part of the occult we are cautioned away from. It takes our eyes and prayers away from God.

I was heavily involved with astrology (as well as tarot) when I was younger. I could whip up a natal chart that would make you cry in its beauty and detail. I routinely gave friends a predictive chart of the year ahead for them on their birthday. Even once I became Christian, it took me several years to finally discard this part of my life. I had a little celebration where I burned all my reference books and the few charts I had left, as well as all my tarot decks. Cleansing the occult out of my life made me happier and I had far fewer disturbing dreams as a result.

I look at the skies now with wonder more as an astronomer than an astrologer. I even got ahold of a nice little Meade Maksutov–Cassegrain telescope to look at the moon, the disc of Venus, the rings of Saturn and the moons of Jupiter, and even the Trapezium in Orion. But my days of dabbling in the occult are over.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Apr '14 08:31
    Astrology is part of the occult we are cautioned away from. It takes our eyes and prayers away from God.

I was heavily involved with astrology (as well as tarot) when I was younger. I could whip up a natal chart that would make you cry in its beauty and detail. I routinely gave friends a predictive chart of the year ahead for them on their birthday. ...[text shortened]... ns of Jupiter, and even the Trapezium in Orion. But my days of dabbling in the occult are over.
    But the story of the three wise men, weren't they astrologers, following a bright star and everything?

Further: Hasn't astrology and prophecies certain characteristics in common?

Therefore: Isn't astrology a part of every christian faith?
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Apr '14 08:47
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    But the story of the three wise men, weren't they astrologers, following a bright star and everything?

Further: Hasn't astrology and prophecies certain characteristics in common?

Therefore: Isn't astrology a part of every christian faith?
    They are called astrologers, they may have practiced divination, I do not know. But they no doubt had their eyes on the sky, and were watchful of "signs". They could have been just ancient astronomers. What they did with the info gleaned from the stars would be the telling point.

Astrology may appear to foretell prophecy, but it is more in the realm of looking at the physical locations of planets and divining meaning from that. Prophecy is more along the lines of "messages from God" or some such.

But no. We are cautioned away from astrology in particular and the occult in general. All meaning comes from God and nothing happens that God is not aware of. Astrology is an effort to divine meaning from the physical realm and thus has nothing in connection with God. We are cautioned to ask God if we need guidance. God belongs in our lives and trying to ascertain the future with our own devices shuns God. This is why Satan has a connection with the occult. He tries to push us away from God by focusing on these things that have nothing to do with God.

This is why I abandoned my study of astrology. It was keeping me from a greater understanding of God.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Apr '14 09:12
    They are called astrologers, they may have practiced divination, I do not know. But they no doubt had their eyes on the sky, and were watchful of "signs". They could have been just ancient astronomers. What they did with the info gleaned from the stars would be the telling point.

Astrology may appear to foretell prophecy, but it is more in the realm o ...[text shortened]... s why I abandoned my study of astrology. It was keeping me from a greater understanding of God.
    Thank you for the helpful reply, Suzianne, it helps me a lot in my in my understanding of the christian thinking.

If we go back, say 2500 years, and think about their lives at those days: A comet comes and the wise men are consulted. They might interprete it as an omen, but of what origin? Is it astrological? Or is it a sign of The Almighty god? Perhaps it is an omen from Satan? How could they know?

If a comet comes today, what significance does that have to us, the science awared modern man? Does the interpretation differ from the old days? Were they wrong, or are we wrong? Or can we both be right?
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Apr '14 09:55
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Thank you for the helpful reply, Suzianne, it helps me a lot in my in my understanding of the christian thinking.

If we go back, say 2500 years, and think about their lives at those days: A comet comes and the wise men are consulted. They might interprete it as an omen, but of what origin? Is it astrological? Or is it a sign of The Almighty god? Perhap ...[text shortened]... erpretation differ from the old days? Were they wrong, or are we wrong? Or can we both be right?
    Well, I'd separate the two by noting the extent of knowledge. They just didn't have enough info back then. We now know what comets are, where they come from, and we have resources that enable us to ascertain whether we are in danger of them. Ditto with solar eclipses, near-earth asteroids, or coronal mass ejections.

I believe we are in the latter days on this planet. We will soon begin seeing the unfolding of events foretold in the Book of Revelation. But, because of this, I believe our planet will also be safe from the so-called "extinction-level events" like massive asteroid impacts. The story of Man has a little more to go yet.
  8. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    14 Apr '14 10:05

Astrology may appear to foretell prophecy, but it is more in the realm o ...[text shortened]... s why I abandoned my study of astrology. It was keeping me from a greater understanding of God.
    when you say you turn your back on astrology are you saying that you no longer believe it works or that you believe it works but as a christian must not use it?
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Apr '14 10:27
    Well, I'd separate the two by noting the extent of knowledge. They just didn't have enough info back then. We now know what comets are, where they come from, and we have resources that enable us to ascertain whether we are in danger of them. Ditto with solar eclipses, near-earth asteroids, or coronal mass ejections.

I believe we are in the latter days ...[text shortened]... tion-level events" like massive asteroid impacts. The story of Man has a little more to go yet.
    Thank you Suzianne.

Perhaps I have further questions that I will pose later...
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Apr '14 10:42
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    You cannot be Sirius!
    That's for sure, not enough gas....
  11. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    14 Apr '14 19:31
    I'm on the fense on this as the bible does state that the Sun and Moon were created for signs and seasons (Basically to help us mark time) but the flip side is the nut jobs who try to make money on apocalypse books and all AKA Herold Camping

Manny
  12. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    15 Apr '14 07:59
    Was anyone able to see the eclipse in the US?
  13. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    15 Apr '14 08:08
    Originally posted by yoctobyte
    Was anyone able to see the eclipse in the US?
    It is a beautiful pale orange with Mars just off to its' right. 😵
  14. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    15 Apr '14 08:46
    Originally posted by caissad4
    It is a beautiful pale orange with Mars just off to its' right. 😵
    Now it is 1/4 yellow and 3/4 orange.
  15. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    15 Apr '14 09:561 edit
    Deleted

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree