1. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Nov '10 04:58
    Originally posted by duecer
    rejecting the gift of life when you can esily have it is mind numbingly ignorant.
    A few pages ago Suzianne argued that the decision was not based on ignorance. Care to take it up with her?
  2. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    09 Nov '10 10:06
    let he who is without sin cast the first stone...how hard is that to understand?
    I understand it, but i fail to see what relevance it has for you not answering my question.
  3. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    09 Nov '10 23:13
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    I understand it, but i fail to see what relevance it has for you not answering my question.
    that was the answer, it was complete and correct
  4. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    09 Nov '10 23:14
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    A few pages ago Suzianne argued that the decision was not based on ignorance. Care to take it up with her?
    I am not responsible for what other people post, or am I?😕
  5. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 14:32
    that was the answer, it was complete and correct
    So i can draw my conclusion that you believe stoning someone to death is merciful?
  6. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 16:55
    So i can draw my conclusion that you believe stoning someone to death is merciful?
    I guess thats the problem with athiests, when they don't like the answer they make up their own...😞
  7. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 17:56
    I guess thats the problem with athiests, when they don't like the answer they make up their own...😞
    I guess that's the problem with theists, when they get in a tight spot they just go all vague and resort to a spot of 'theolodgobabble'.

Duecer, i'm asking for a straight answer. You claim to have, after a period of reflection, come to the conclusion that God has always been merciful. That same God in the OT comdemned people to death by stoning and burning. I think so far we can agree on both those statements.

How can someone who conmdemns people to death be merciful? Could you please enlighten me, within a paragraph or two, how you've come to that conclusion.
  8. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 18:261 edit
    I guess that's the problem with theists, when they get in a tight spot they just go all vague and resort to a spot of 'theolodgobabble'.

Duecer, i'm asking for a straight answer. You claim to have, after a period of reflection, come to the conclusion that God has always been merciful. That same God in the OT comdemned people to death by stoning and bu ...[text shortened]... uld you please enlighten me, within a paragraph or two, how you've come to that conclusion.
    I said what I needed to say in one sentance but if you like I can offer some further elucidation. Lets begin with the story of Abraham, Lot and the city of Sodom. Most Christians take the condemnation of Sodom as a condemnation of Homosexuality. This is a false assumption. What made Sodom reprehensible was that they raped visitors and outsiders, both men and women.
    God is going to destroy Sodom and Abraham entreats God to save the city if 50 good people could be found. God agrees, and Abraham continues to haggle, until God agrees to save the city if 10 good people could be found. Ultimately Abraham goes to sodom and finds only Lot and his family to be decent people. God destroys the city, but does not destroy Lot and his daughters.

Fast forward to the story of Jonah. God sends Jonah to Ninevah to warn the city prior to its ruination. The people repent and God forgives them. the following exchange takes between God and Jonah:
    Jonah 4
    Jonah’s Anger at the LORD’s Compassion
    1 But to Jonah this seemed very wrong, and he became angry. 2 He prayed to the LORD, “Isn’t this what I said, LORD, when I was still at home? That is what I tried to forestall by fleeing to Tarshish. I knew that you are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abounding in love, a God who relents from sending calamity. 3 Now, LORD, take away my life, for it is better for me to die than to live.”
    4 But the LORD replied, “Is it right for you to be angry?”

5 Jonah had gone out and sat down at a place east of the city. There he made himself a shelter, sat in its shade and waited to see what would happen to the city. 6 Then the LORD God provided a leafy plant[a] and made it grow up over Jonah to give shade for his head to ease his discomfort, and Jonah was very happy about the plant. 7 But at dawn the next day God provided a worm, which chewed the plant so that it withered. 8 When the sun rose, God provided a scorching east wind, and the sun blazed on Jonah’s head so that he grew faint. He wanted to die, and said, “It would be better for me to die than to live.”

9 But God said to Jonah, “Is it right for you to be angry about the plant?”

“It is,” he said. “And I’m so angry I wish I were dead.”

10 But the LORD said, “You have been concerned about this plant, though you did not tend it or make it grow. It sprang up overnight and died overnight. 11 And should I not have concern for the great city of Nineveh, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who cannot tell their right hand from their left—and also many animals?”

God always offers a way for the least amount of damage, its up to us to accept that offering. In Levitical Law it took two witnesses before someone could be convicted of a capital crime. People were not taken out into the street willy nilly and stoned for no reason. As to the reasons for stoning, that was a different time and place, assigning modern day enlightenment and moral standards to a 3000 year old culture is impossible.

Ultimately all of Levitacal law and its punishments are boiled down into Christ's saying, "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" If he was theologically incorrect, they would have stoned him along with her.
  9. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 21:01
    I said what I needed to say in one sentance but if you like I can offer some further elucidation. Lets begin with the story of Abraham, Lot and the city of Sodom. Most Christians take the condemnation of Sodom as a condemnation of Homosexuality. This is a false assumption. What made Sodom reprehensible was that they raped visitors and outsiders, both men and ...[text shortened]... he first stone" If he was theologically incorrect, they would have stoned him along with her.
    Thanks deucer. I'll get back to this tomorrow.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree