free will

free will

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
22 Aug 12
1 edit

Originally posted by VoidSpirit
you don't understand the difference between statistical randomness and true randomness.
And you tend to use your own meanings for terms and then blame the audience for 'not understanding' them.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
22 Aug 12

Originally posted by SwissGambit
And you tend to use your own meanings for terms and then blame the audience for 'not understanding' them.
there are not my own meanings of the terms and i've explained the context in which they are used; there is no excuse.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
22 Aug 12

Originally posted by twhitehead
I don't believe you did make any such provisions. You specifically mentioned quantum mechanics and claimed that it too must be deterministic. I also wonder how you can 'make provisions' for quantum mechanics when making sweeping claims about the universe. Quantum mechanics [b]is how the universe works.[/b]
it is clear that you have comprehension issues.

these are the claims that i've made. they are backed up by current knowledge of quantum mechanics.

1. in a closed system, there can be no true randomness. statistical randomness is the appearance of being random due to unknown laws or missing information, thus creating subjective unpredictability.

2. there is much unknown about quantum mechanics. physicists who describe quantum mechanics talk in terms of parallel and multiple universes; this is an indication of an open system, ergo the potential of true randomness exists pending the discovery of a unified wave mechanics theory.

i'll have to end it here since you can't seem to bring up any argument against these and can keep repeating the same objections.

Cape Town

Moves
22 Aug 12

it is clear that you have comprehension issues.
I think I just disagree with your claims. I don't think it is because I have failed to comprehend your claims.

these are the claims that i've made.
And I dispute them.

they are backed up by current knowledge of quantum mechanics.
And I dispute that.

i'll have to end it here since you can't seem to bring up any argument against these and can keep repeating the same objections.
I don't feel the need to provide an argument because I feel you are the one making the extraordinary claims. It is for you to provide argument.

You could for example point us to some references, or find another poster with knowledge of quantum mechanics who agrees with you.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
23 Aug 12

I think I just disagree with your claims. I don't think it is because I have failed to comprehend your claims.

[b]these are the claims that i've made.

And I dispute them.

they are backed up by current knowledge of quantum mechanics.
And I dispute that.

i'll have to end it here since you can't seem to bring up any argument agains ...[text shortened]... references, or find another poster with knowledge of quantum mechanics who agrees with you.
i think you're just being argumentative now.

i've said:
1. randomness can't exist in a close system
2. the potential for true randomness can only exist in an open system.
3. the quantum level may be a gateway to outside of the universe.

true randomness only exists at the quantum level:

http://www.world-science.net/othernews/100912_random.htm
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v464/n7291/edsumm/e100415-06.html

quantum physics and parallel/multiple universes:

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/24/132932268/a-physicist-explains-why-parallel-universes-may-exist
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=hugh-everett-biography

and as we have no way of observing what phenomenon occurs outside of the universe, we can't determine that this is true randomness. those physicists who believe in true randomness concede that it is subjective from the viewpoint of our universe and that is good enough for them.

Cape Town

Moves
23 Aug 12

i think you're just being argumentative now.
No, I genuinely believe you are wrong and am genuinely disputing your claims. And I genuinely believe that you need to substantiate your claims and that it is not up to me to prove you wrong.

i've said:

And you are yet to give any valid reasoning as to why that should be the case. Instead you keep repeating it as unsubstantiated fact.

2. the potential for true randomness can only exist in an open system.
The problem I see with this claim is that any open system is presumably a subset of a larger closed system, so your 2. contradicts your 1.

true randomness only exists at the quantum level:
This is not in dispute, and if anything contradicts your 1.

and as we have no way of observing what phenomenon occurs outside of the universe, we can't determine that this is true randomness. those physicists who believe in true randomness concede that it is subjective from the viewpoint of our universe and that is good enough for them.
I already conceded that we cannot ever prove that something is truly random. But this is not a good enough reason to claim that a cause necessarily exists. I also dispute that the cause, if it exists is necessarily outside the universe. In fact I see no reason whatsoever for invoking extra universes for this purpose.

PH

Moves
23 Aug 12

Does anyone here know anything about Chaos theory? According to current theory, chaotic systems are deterministic.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
23 Aug 12

No, I genuinely believe you are wrong and am genuinely disputing your claims. And I genuinely believe that you need to substantiate your claims and that it is not up to me to prove you wrong.

[b]i've said:

And you are yet to give any valid reasoning as to why that should be the case. Instead you keep re ...[text shortened]... e universe. In fact I see no reason whatsoever for invoking extra universes for this purpose.[/b]
as you have not presented any valid disputes to anything i've said, there is no point to continue.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
23 Aug 12

as you have not presented any valid disputes to anything i've said, there is no point to continue.
You say no true randomness in a closed system. In the case of the planet Earth vs the entire universe, I assume you are saying the universe as a whole is a closed system therefore there can be no true randomness.

But in a case on Earth and the search for true randomness, are you talking about Earth being a closed system as a whole or the universe as a closed system?

I think the answer is still out on whether the universe as a whole is open or closed. But anyway, the system of Earth compared to the system of the universe would seem to me to indicate if the universe was a closed system, then the system that is Earth would be such an insignificant % of the total as to make the difference between true randomness and what we can achieve on Earth as to be unmeasurable IMO. If indeed that is what you are talking about.

Cape Town

Moves
23 Aug 12

I do not need to present any 'valid disputes', I only need to point out that your claim is extraordinary and you need to substantiate it (or it is just a random guess on your part - whether statistically random or genuinely random is up to you 🙂 ).
The fact is, that you are making a claim that is not part of mainstream science and you have not found anyone else who agrees with you nor do you have not found any references to back it up. Instead you just keep repeating it like that will make it true, or pretending that other people are just not understanding you. You don't even have a logical argument to present on your own.

You have made the claim that all closed systems are deterministic. I say that that needs to be proved before it can be taken as fact or be used to make any other conclusions. I also say that there is no evidence even suggesting that it is true and that quantum mechanics so far suggests the contrary. If that is not a valid dispute then what is?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
23 Aug 12

Originally posted by Phil Hill
Does anyone here know anything about Chaos theory? According to current theory, chaotic systems are deterministic.
I think twhitehead is looking for facts, not more unsubstantiated theories. 😏

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
23 Aug 12
1 edit

I do not need to present any 'valid disputes', I only need to point out that your claim is extraordinary and you need to substantiate it (or it is just a random guess on your part - whether statistically random or genuinely random is up to you 🙂 ).
The fact is, that you are making a claim that is not part of mainstream science and you have not found any quantum mechanics so far suggests the contrary. If that is not a valid dispute then what is?
a couple of points here:
-from the very beginning, i've stated this is purely speculative.
-not that i need to, i gave you several references that support each of the central points of my claims.

so in effect, it is you who is regurgitating the same old arguments hoping that it will make it true. you have offered nothing that invalidates any of the claims i've made.

Cape Town

Moves
24 Aug 12

a couple of points here:
No, you did not. You stated as fact that closed systems must be deterministic. At no point did you suggest that that was speculation.

-not that i need to, i gave you several references that support each of the central points of my claims.
No you did not. None of your references support that claim.

so in effect, it is you who is regurgitating the same old arguments hoping that it will make it true. you have offered nothing that invalidates any of the claims i've made.
Your claim cannot be invalidated any more than one can prove that no god exists, or that there are no teapots orbiting Saturn. But that doesn't make it true.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
24 Aug 12
1 edit

a couple of points here:

Good, now it is established that what you have said is purely speculative. 😏

That is, no facts.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
24 Aug 12

No, you did not. You stated as fact that closed systems must be deterministic. At no point did you suggest that that was speculation.
that part isn't speculation. a closed system is deterministic according to the laws of physics.

No you did not. None of your references support that claim.

your inability to understand has no effect on my claims.

Your claim cannot be invalidated any more than one can prove that no god exists, or that there are no teapots orbiting Saturn. But that doesn't make it true.

go back and read the first point of the post to which you are replying.