1. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 00:35
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Does this mean he also allows us to steal and lie ?
    Yes.
  2. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 00:59
    Is it ?
    Yes , just ask Russ.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 01:204 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    In fact, nothing I have said has shown to be untrue. Perhaps it has been proven in your own mind and perhaps you would like to share what has been shown to be untrue? Therefore feel free to continue to rebutt every statement I make by saying I am
    1. brainwashed
    2. or everything you say has already been shown to be untrue
    3. and/or I am incapable of independent thought.
    How much of this statement is true?

whodey: In 1844 a man by the name of Girard proposes to teach morals in public schools without the use of the Bible. The Supreme Court rules that American schools are to use the Bible to teach morals. The case is argued and won by Daniel Webster in Videl vs. Girard.

Read the actual case at http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/mazur/courses/documents/vidal.html

EDIT: You've repeatedly made this false claim about Videl v. Girard using identical wording (obviously you're copying and pasting without attribution). On October 14, in the thread "Religion and the Public Schools" I pointed out it was totally false, to wit:

Vidal v. Girard ruled no such thing. It ruled that a devise creating a private college in Penn. was valid even though it specified that no clergy or other religious officials could teach there. It's obvious you never bothered to look up the actual case and just took the misinformed word of some rightwing website.

http://www.chessatwork.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=53592&page=5

Yet, you continue to make this obviously untrue claim. What is wrong with you?
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 01:251 edit
    Whodey: "I wonder if such people could be labeled fundamentalists even though they profess atheism? "

Oh, sure. Our resident agnostic fundamentalist is no1marauder. The Constitution of the United States of America forms his holy scripture. His god, his idol, is liberal freedom of which a statue can be admired in the harbour of New York, donated by the French and called "Marianne".
    What a complete idiot you are. There's LOTS of flaws in the US Constitution and I've never said otherwise. It's impossible for someone with my mindset to be a "Fundamentalist" i.e. one who unquestionably accepts the truth of a writing.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 03:58
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    How much of this statement is true?

whodey: In 1844 a man by the name of Girard proposes to teach morals in public schools without the use of the Bible. The Supreme Court rules that American schools are to use the Bible to teach morals. The case is argued and won by Daniel Webster in Videl vs. Girard.

Read the actual case at http://www.facstaf ...[text shortened]... ge=5

Yet, you continue to make this obviously untrue claim. What is wrong with you?
    I may have been misinformed by that particular case and will look into it. However, do you deny the Bible was used in the class rooms as was instructed by Congress in the late 1700's by the Northwest Ordinance? There is no doubt the Bible was used in our public schools in the beginning years of this country and therefore would have had to have been known by those in government and they were OK with this fact. This is all I am saying. As for the details all I can say is that the devil is in the details and where you seem to live. You continue to dodge my general points which are perfectly valid.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 04:10
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I was doing some research recently and was very suprised at the large number of people who were sentenced to death, not by hanging, firing squad, electric chair, or lethal injection. They were burned at the stake even as late as the mid-1800's. Do you think that was indicative of a Christian nation?
    This is one of the reasons I oppose theocracies. People are going to do horrible things to their fellow man no matter the government in place. After all, the Christian tradition warns us that we are a fallen race, no? Therefore, why do these horrible things in the name of God. These practices had occured in the early years of the America's before the secular nation had been put in place, such as the Salem Witch trials, and seem to have taken a little while for us to get out of our system. However, even though we do not burn people at the stake any longer it still does not prevent us from doing horrible things to each other as we continue to do today now does it? Perhaps you think us more righteous today?
  7. Joined
    29 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 04:20
    I may have been misinformed by that particular case and will look into it. However, do you deny the Bible was used in the class rooms as was instructed by Congress in the late 1700's by the Northwest Ordinance? There is no doubt the Bible was used in our public schools in the beginning years of this country and therefore would have had to have been known by ...[text shortened]... and where you seem to live. You continue to dodge my general points which are perfectly valid.
    you keep going on about the northwest ordinance. Since you seem so fond of it, check out this website:
    http://atheism.about.com/library/FAQs/cs/blcsm_gov_northwest.htm
    I think you might find it a good antidote for the brainwashing of the right wing christian websites you've been reading.
  8. Joined
    11 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 04:25
    Fundamentalism breeds intolerance and close-mindedness
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 04:29
    Originally posted by whiterose
    you keep going on about the northwest ordinance. Since you seem so fond of it, check out this website:
    http://atheism.about.com/library/FAQs/cs/blcsm_gov_northwest.htm
    I think you might find it a good antidote for the brainwashing of the right wing christian websites you've been reading.
    OK so I will go to a left wing atheist site instead. That makes a lot of sense. No brainwashing there.........honest.

Listen, the fact is that the Bible was used in our classrooms and was accepted by the powers that be. These are the painful facts of the matter and which no one here seems to be able to stomach. The rest are merely details regarding how this occured.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 04:32
    Originally posted by AvinashTyagi
    Fundamentalism breeds intolerance and close-mindedness
    Tell me, who here is the most opened minded? I think you will find that we all are fundamentalists when it comes to certain beliefs that we hold dear. At least I admit to this fact.
  11. Joined
    11 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 04:50
    Tell me, who here is the most opened minded? I think you will find that we all are fundamentalists when it comes to certain beliefs that we hold dear. At least I admit to this fact.
    I don't doubt that, but most of us don't go on television and tell people that its because of gays that 9/11 occured😕
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 04:563 edits
    Originally posted by AvinashTyagi
    I don't doubt that, but most of us don't go on television and tell people that its because of gays that 9/11 occured😕
    Who ever said gays caused 9/11? Whoever the idiot was, please feel free to throw me into the mix why don't you.

Then again I thought I detected a lisp during the videotaped last will and testament of one of the suicide bombers. Oh well, I guess it means more virgins for those who may have been straight.

How about the idiots that blame Bush for 9/11? Are they fundametalists as well? How about the idiots that blame the Jews? Are the fundamentalists as well? How about the idiots that claim the victims in 9/11 deserved such a fate due to the fact they were imperialistic capitalists, are they fundamentalists as well? As for me, I blame no1maurader and have several right wing web sites to back up my claims.🙄
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 04:581 edit
    I may have been misinformed by that particular case and will look into it. However, do you deny the Bible was used in the class rooms as was instructed by Congress in the late 1700's by the Northwest Ordinance? There is no doubt the Bible was used in our public schools in the beginning years of this country and therefore would have had to have been known by ...[text shortened]... and where you seem to live. You continue to dodge my general points which are perfectly valid.
    You keep making specific claims to support your argument. I keep showing that these claims are false. To you, the Fundamentalist, it makes no difference; you keep making the same false claims over and over again. I can find nothing in the Northwest Ordinance that says Bibles have to be used in schools. There were very few public schools at all until the late 19th and early 20th century anyway. And even if they used Bibles, so what? What does that prove? Your "general points" are based on lies.

EDIT: Here's the text of the Northwest Ordinance: http://usinfo.state.gov/usa/infousa/facts/democrac/5.htm

Please direct me to the place where it says that religion MUST be taught in the "public schools" which was your claim.
  14. Joined
    11 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 05:00
    Who ever said gays caused 9/11? Whoever the idiot was, please feel free to throw me into the mix why don't you.

Then again I thought I detected a lisp during the videotaped last will and testament of one of the suicide bombers. Oh well, I guess it means more virgins for those who may have been straight.
    Jerry Falwell after 9/11 said it was a result of gays, feminists, etc.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 05:13
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    You keep making specific claims to support your argument. I keep showing that these claims are false. To you, the Fundamentalist, it makes no difference; you keep making the same false claims over and over again. I can find nothing in the Northwest Ordinance that says Bibles have to be used in schools. There were very few public schools at all until the ...[text shortened]... ce where it says that religion MUST be taught in the "public schools" which was your claim.
    Article 3 says religion is to be encouraged in the schools.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree