1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 05:15
    Originally posted by AvinashTyagi
    Jerry Falwell after 9/11 said it was a result of gays, feminists, etc.
    So tell me, is it possible to be a sane fundamentalist? Granted, there are insane fundamentalists and they are a dime a dozen.
  2. Joined
    11 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 05:17
    Originally posted by whodey
    So tell me, is it possible to be a sane fundamentalist? Granted, there are insane fundamentalists and they are a dime a dozen.
    Don't know, all I know is I find any form of fundamentalism a bad thing
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 05:20
    Don't know, all I know is I find any form of fundamentalism a bad thing
    So are you saying you are a fundamentalist against fundamentalism?
  4. Joined
    11 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 05:22
    So are you saying you are a fundamentalist against fundamentalism?
    Nope just saying I find it a bad thing, I don't say that I hate them or blame them like Fundamentalists do
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 05:25
    Nope just saying I find it a bad thing, I don't say that I hate them or blame them like Fundamentalists do
    So you say that fundamentalism is a bad thing yet you don't blame them for anything? I find these statements disingenuous.

If I am a fundamentalist about my religion, I am forbidden to hate. If I so choose to hate, I am no longer a fundamentalist about my beliefs, rather, I have forsaken them and have become a fundamentalist for another cause.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 05:251 edit
    Article 3 says religion is to be encouraged in the schools.
    That is untrue. Here's the text:

Religion, morality, and knowledge, being necessary to good government and the happiness of mankind, schools and the means of education shall forever be encouraged.

Schools and the means of education shall forever be encouraged, not religion per se. Your claim was, and is, false.

EDIT: Here was your original statement:

Article 3 or the Northwest Ordinance directs the people of the territories to extablish schools "to teach religion, morality, and knowledge."

Does it? And is what you quoted in the Northwest Ordinance?
  7. Joined
    11 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 05:29
    So you say that fundamentalism is a bad thing yet you don't blame them for anything? I find these statements disingenuous.

If I am a fundamentalist about my religion, I am forbidden to hate. If I so choose to hate, I am no longer a fundamentalist about my beliefs, rather, I have forsaken them and have become a fundamentalist for another cause.
    Disagree, there is a difference, a Fundamentalist is the kind who will attack people or try to kill them out of Hate and fear.

thinking something is bad is very differnt than hating the people who follow it, I only have a problem if they try and harm others.

Sorry but many religions (especially the Abrahmaic ones, call for you to hate, right there in the texts)
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 05:382 edits
    Here's two quotes from Thomas Jefferson:

"The want of instruction in the various creeds of religious faith existing among our citizens presents... a chasm in a general institution of the useful sciences. But it was thought that this want, and the entrustment to each society of instruction in its own doctrine, were evils of less danger than a permission to the public authorities to dictate modes or principles of religious instruction, or than opportunities furnished them by giving countenance or ascendancy to any one sect over another." --Thomas Jefferson: Virginia Board of Visitors Minutes, 1822. ME 19:414

"After stating the constitutional reasons against a public establishment of any religious instruction, we suggest the expediency of encouraging the different religious sects to establish, each for itself, a professorship of their own tenets on the confines of the university, so near as that their students may attend the lectures there and have the free use of our library and every other accommodation we can give them; preserving, however, their independence of us and of each other. This fills the chasm objected to ours, as a defect in an institution professing to give instruction in all useful sciences... And by bringing the sects together, and mixing them with the mass of other students, we shall soften their asperities, liberalize and neutralize their prejudices, and make the general religion a religion of peace, reason, and morality." --Thomas Jefferson to Thomas Cooper, 1822. ME 15:405

http://etext.virginia.edu/jefferson/quotations/jeff1370.htm
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 07:46
    In my experience, people who accept every word of the Bible as indisputable fact are:
    1. poorly educated.
    2. easily persuaded by their religious leaders to believe anything.
    3. have a tendency of taking some verses to extremes while ignoring others.
    4. Are more militant in terms of trying to persuade others to become Christian.
    5. Strongly oppose anything which disagrees with their views (most of science for example)
    I think similar tendencies can be found amongst fundamentalists in other religions.
    The worst side effect is that religious and political leaders take advantage of such people in order to:
    1. make money.
    2. Gain political advantage.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree