1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 13:15
    My aunt just died (well technically my great aunt but I was raised by my grandparents so ........) and her wake is Sunday. Our family is pretty much all Roman Catholics, though most aren't very devout (to say the least). It's pretty mandatory to approach the casket and expected procedure is to make the sign of the Cross at the side of the body. I invariably do this but ........................

I'm a non-dualist; I don't believe that the Cross has any special meaning. I feel like a phony when I do this but there are still quite a few of my relatives who are quite older (believe it or not) than me and I feel like I "owe" them this little gesture.

What do other people think? I realize it's harmless at worse in the Great Scheme of All Things, but I really don't want to do it but I really don't want to explain to my older relatives why I didn't (it's a fair possibility someone might ask why I didn't). I'm open to suggestions as long as they don't involve outright lying (no "I forgot" for example).
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 13:34
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    My aunt just died (well technically my great aunt but I was raised by my grandparents so ........) and her wake is Sunday. Our family is pretty much all Roman Catholics, though most aren't very devout (to say the least). It's pretty mandatory to approach the casket and expected procedure is to make the sign of the Cross at the side of the body. I invaria ...[text shortened]... stions as long as they don't involve outright lying (no "I forgot" for example).
    My simple answer is that - do it.
    If it doesn't mean much for you but means a lot to others, then why start a conflict there and then? Just do it.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 13:54
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    My aunt just died (well technically my great aunt but I was raised by my grandparents so ........) and her wake is Sunday. Our family is pretty much all Roman Catholics, though most aren't very devout (to say the least). It's pretty mandatory to approach the casket and expected procedure is to make the sign of the Cross at the side of the body. I invaria ...[text shortened]... stions as long as they don't involve outright lying (no "I forgot" for example).
    You could do something really radical and just tell the truth like you did here - "I'm a non-dualist; I don't believe that the Cross has any special meaning." That the truth is so widely frowned upon is a truly remarkable aspect of this world.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 13:55
    just do it,you are a non-dualist
    Maybe you can put your special 'touch' on it (without being rude)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree