1. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 01:19
    I was reading about the death of a prominant judge in the state. I noticed an interesting picture at his funeral. All the judges and lawyers wore robes. My immediate response was "well, why do lawyers need all that attention?" Seems like that kept the focus on their importance and not the person who died.

If a prominant surgeon died, I could not imagine all his physician colleagues showing up in scrubs to pay tribute to him.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 01:30
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I was reading about the death of a prominant judge in the state. I noticed an interesting picture at his funeral. All the judges and lawyers wore robes. My immediate response was "well, why do lawyers need all that attention?" Seems like that kept the focus on their importance and not the person who died.

If a prominant surgeon died, I could not imagine all his physician colleagues showing up in scrubs to pay tribute to him.
    You're probably right. But maybe it is a tradition. Some kind of man made institutional, and class divisional ceremony. You know, an elitist, self serving bunch of snobs.
    Or maybe they just liked the guy.
    What do you suppose they were wearing under their robes?
  3. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 01:40
    Originally posted by josephw
    You're probably right. But maybe it is a tradition. Some kind of man made institutional, and class divisional ceremony. You know, an elitist, self serving bunch of snobs.
    Or maybe they just liked the guy.
    What do you suppose they were wearing under their robes?
    I'm sure they liked the guy. Maybe I was being too judgmental. I just don't want anyone thinking less of my dead ass just because I have some belly dancers at my funeral. I'd rather have that than a bunch of lawyers wearing their robes.
  4. England
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 14:38
    When a ROYAL dies they pull out the regalia does it deflect or enhance the experiance for the living of this world. When Diana went the way people put flowers on route it could not have bothered her.
  5. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 15:44
    Originally posted by stoker
    When a ROYAL dies they pull out the regalia does it deflect or enhance the experiance for the living of this world. When Diana went the way people put flowers on route it could not have bothered her.
    When you're dead, you're dead. All the regalia will not change the fact that you are no more important or less dead than anyone else.
  6. England
    Moves
    29 Aug '07 09:591 edit
    When you're dead, you're dead. All the regalia will not change the fact that you are no more important or less dead than anyone else.
    you missed my point. the ceromony is for the living of this world. Would JFK. M Luther etc just been dumpt in the ground not upset more people after thier sad departure. God tells us to be more worried about him who after death can . But it remains that we humans value the send off, and the show of mourning.
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    29 Aug '07 14:52
    All manner of ceremony (western world) relate in one fashion or another to some aspect of Christianity. Admittedly, most of the rites have denegrated to ritual without reality, but we do them for reasons of remembrance--- a call to mind.
  8. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    29 Aug '07 15:03
    One can only shake their head at this one.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/H/HELMSLEYS_POOCH?SITE=KYLOU&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
  9. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    29 Aug '07 15:04

Perhaps this was the way to show respect for the judges' professional reputation, more than as a personal friend. Comparable to funerals in the army or firefighting departments.
  10. Joined
    15 Mar '06
    Moves
    29 Aug '07 16:54
    You speak as though you know what it feels like to be dead.
    I dont like the theories that surround the assumption of death.
    I bet you would not have any fact that you would state to prove that you are alive other than the assumptions and theories that have no other means of being proven other than other theories.
    I do not belive in bunches of theories even if they filled a busket !
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    29 Aug '07 16:58
    One can only shake their head at this one.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/H/HELMSLEYS_POOCH?SITE=KYLOU&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
    We had a dog named Trouble once when I was a kid. One of my
    brothers found a puppy in the street ran in front of a car to get it.
    The car stopped in time and my brother claimed the puppy as his,
    my dad named him Trouble. A year or two later Trouble got hit by a
    car and crawled under our house, when we realized he was there my
    dad crawled after him. We took him to the Vet where they ended up
    taking off one of his back legs, so from that time on he was a three
    legged dog. When he used the bath room on a tree instead of just
    standing there, he would lift his entire back end off the ground and
    pee which all of us kids thought was cool. His back leg became really
    powerful too, that dog was an exstremely fast runner, it was like that
    back leg would launch him when he wanted to run.

We moved and couldn't keep him so we gave him to our grandparents
    who cared for him. Someone later killed him on purpose, which was a
    real blow to us. I loved that dog, but would not have given him any
    money, that lady was nuts.
    Kelly
  12. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    29 Aug '07 18:05
    Originally posted by Prince Ndandalika
    You speak as though you know what it feels like to be dead.
    I dont like the theories that surround the assumption of death.
    I bet you would not have any fact that you would state to prove that you are alive other than the assumptions and theories that have no other means of being proven other than other theories.
    I do not belive in bunches of theories even if they filled a busket !
    I keep getting bills in the mail.
  13. Joined
    10 Apr '06
    Moves
    29 Aug '07 18:59
    I just don't want anyone thinking less of my dead ass just because I have some belly dancers at my funeral.
    😀
  14. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    29 Aug '07 20:40

lol
  15. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    30 Aug '07 01:00

I think it's along the same lines as the custom of firefighters, police officers, and the military wearing their dress blues. That doesn't mean I can explain those traditions either, other than sort of wearing your best outfit on a special occasion...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree