1. Maryland
    Moves
    18 Jan '12 19:081 edit
    People who don't like their beliefs laughed at should not have such funny beliefs! (anon)
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Jan '12 21:12
    Originally posted by 667joe
    People who don't like their beliefs laughed at should not have such funny beliefs! (anon)
    Everyone believes in something. And people will laugh at anything, just to show that they are "the cool kids".

Atheists just don't wear on their sleeve whatever they believe in because they know firsthand that it could be ridiculed.

So maybe you meant to say, "People who don't like their beliefs laughed at should not tell other people what they are so they can be laughed at."

The thing here is that Christians are exhorted to go into the world and spread the Good Word (Gospel) and to be an example unto all men. Being laughed at comes with the territory, especially in these end times.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Jan '12 21:41
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Everyone believes in something. And people will laugh at anything, just to show that they are "the cool kids".

Atheists just don't wear on their sleeve whatever they believe in because they know firsthand that it could be ridiculed.

So maybe you meant to say, "People who don't like their beliefs laughed at should not tell other people what they are s ...[text shortened]... e unto all men. Being laughed at comes with the territory, especially in these end times.
    We Christians must confess our belief in Christ, if we wish Christ to confess
    us before His father.
  4. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    18 Jan '12 21:46
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    We Christians must confess our belief in Christ, if we wish Christ to confess
    us before His father.
    Aren't you supposed to follow his teachings too?
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Jan '12 21:501 edit
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Aren't you supposed to follow his teachings too?
    That is for you do do. 😏
  6. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    18 Jan '12 21:57
    That is for you do do. 😏
    Whereas you can preach hatred and imagine yourself saved?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jan '12 22:00
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Whereas you can preach hatred and imagine yourself saved?
    Unlike the fine shepherd whom the sheep follow, RJH wants to send them out, not leading from the front, but pushing them from the rear!
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Jan '12 05:161 edit

The thing here is that Christians are exhorted to go into the world and spread the Good Word (Gospel) and to be an example unto all men. Being laughed at comes with the territory, especially in these end times.
    I think you are just making that up to make yourself feel better. How do you know that atheists have beliefs they don't talk about? Do you have beliefs unrelated to Christianity that you don't talk about for fear of being laughed at?
  9. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    19 Jan '12 16:51

So maybe you meant to say, "People who don't like their beliefs laughed at should not tell other people what they are s ...[text shortened]... e unto all men. Being laughed at comes with the territory, especially in these end times.
    jip this I know. been laughed at is part of life.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Jan '12 17:21
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I think you are just making that up to make yourself feel better. How do you know that atheists have beliefs they don't talk about? Do you have beliefs unrelated to Christianity that you don't talk about for fear of being laughed at?
    When I was a little girl, I was stunned with disbelief when I was first told there were people in the world who did not believe in Jesus or God. In my little 8-year-old world, I asked "How can they not believe in God?" I have since grown up and I now understand that everyone has things they don't talk about for fear of ridicule. Atheists can't be that much different from everyone else.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Jan '12 20:51
    When I was a little girl, I was stunned with disbelief when I was first told there were people in the world who did not believe in Jesus or God. In my little 8-year-old world, I asked "How can they not believe in God?" I have since grown up and I now understand that everyone has things they don't talk about for fear of ridicule. Atheists can't be that much different from everyone else.
    Just like gay people are not that different from us, right? HalleluYah !!! 😏
  12. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    21 Jan '12 00:47
    Well much as I don't like to diss personal experience as evidence... oh no wait I do...

Personal experience is exceptionally unreliable, which is why scientists use statistics and
    double blind controlled trials and such to remove human biases and such to find the truth.

Not everyone has beliefs they don't talk about for fear of ridicule, I certain don't have any.

In fact as a rationalist I make a point of only believing stuff I can back up and justify, which
    means if I believe it I can justify it.

This makes fear of ridicule pretty much non-existent as far as my beliefs go.

Being told that it's silly to only believe in things that you can justify believing in gets a raised
    eyebrow and a "your kidding right?".

The whole point of rationalism and scientific skepticism is to weed out beliefs in things that aren't
    true or justified and thus have a firm rational view of the world, that among other things, can't
    be ridiculed.
    It's pretty much an entire philosophy built around not liking being wrong or ridiculous.
    Only an accurate view of the world is useful.

On a side note... They way you felt when you found out that there were people who didn't
    believe as you did, is how I still feel about religious beliefs.
    I can't understand how you can really believe in something as weird and implausible as your
    religion without any rational reason to do so.

(oh I understand the psychology of it and the indoctrination you went through I just can't place
    myself into your mindset, I have no reference point. The entire foundation of your religion struck
    me as absurd as far back as I can remember, I can't imagine actually buying any of it.)
  13. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    21 Jan '12 00:48
    Just like gay people are not that different from us, right? HalleluYah !!! 😏
    You are the definition of Poe's law.

You are indistinguishable from somebody satirising you.
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Jan '12 02:041 edit

So maybe you meant to say, "People who don't like their beliefs laughed at should not tell other people what they are s e unto all men. Being laughed at comes with the territory, especially in these end times.
    You're mixing child pscychology with other "facts" that adults generally agree upon, which makes for a poor argument,imo.

I am not one that laughs at christians. I applaud them for daring to share their beliefs.
    But also I hang my head low sometimes when I see the same old jive being banged out where nearly everyone there has heard it who knows how many times.

Isn't it more interesting to share YOUR experiences and beliefs with a church(for example), rather than the tried and true repeating of the bible until physical death.

I mean if that's your cup of tea then cool, but nothing's going to Change without you engaging "Change" first 😉
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Jan '12 02:08
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    You are the definition of Poe's law.

You are indistinguishable from somebody satirising you.
    Poe, he was that Panda in Kung Fu Panda who became powerful because of the dragon
    scroll, cool.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree