1. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    28 Apr '11 21:203 edits
    Trying to demonstrate another fundie's interpretation of the Bible false by appealing to ones own fundamentalist interpretation of the Bible; such a pointless endeavour!
    The following captures the exchange that takes place these days between, for example, Robbie Carrobie vs Divegeester:

Person A: look, you're clearly wrong because my Bible says X
    Person B: Fool! X can't possibly be true because *my* Bible says Y
    Person A: Oh dear! oh dear oh dear oh dear...let me show you how Y is wrong - it clearly states in *my* Bible that X is true which implies Y is false! QED.
    Person B: Your Bible is wrong when it says X is true...look! it says so in my Bible!
    Person A: Ok, then how do you explain Z in *my* Bible
    Person B: Because of W in my Bible!!!
    Person A: Yeah but your Bible is wrong - to see this you need to look at the true source of truth; namely *my* Bible
    Person B: Can't you see that is completely missing the point of Christianity as is set out in *my* Bible???
    Person A: But your Bible can't possibly be true because it says U which is contrary to V as stated in my Bible!
    Person B: Show how V holds then...here lemme give you some verses from *my* Bible to help you
    Person A: No, we'll use my Bible - the one and only true source
    and so on! 😵
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Apr '11 21:292 edits
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Trying to demonstrate another fundie's interpretation of the Bible false by appealing to ones own fundamentalist interpretation of the Bible; such a pointless endeavour!
    The following captures the exchange that takes place these days between, for example, Robbie Carrobie vs Divegeester:

P on A: No, we'll use my Bible - the one and only true source
    and so on! 😵
    It's easy to mock isn't it.

There are people here who care passionately about their faith and will contend for it. I have infinitely more respect for robbie and Galveston defending their views than for you, who believes in nothing spiritual and yet you take your daily satisfaction from arriving here every day to rip the piss out of other people.

You are the joke pal.
  3. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    28 Apr '11 21:362 edits
    Originally posted by divegeester

There are people here who care passionately about their faith and will contend for it. I have infinitely more respect for robbie and Galveston defending their views than for you, who believes in nothing spiritual and yet you take your daily satisfaction from arriving here every day to rip the piss out of other people.

You are the joke pal.
    Well to be honest I don't see a great deal of 'spirituality' in your and RC/Galv's scripture slinging. Indeed this used to be a place of interesting philosophical wrangling and battles - a chance to broaden ones mind and test their wits. Now its just the same old chite day in day out:
    Person A:I'm right and you're wrong cos my Bible says so
    Person B:No!...I'm right and you're wrong cos MY Bible says so
    Person B:NO!!!...I'm right and you're wrong cos MY Bible says so

This is the second time you've took it upon yourself to hurl abuse at me - I took the first in good spirit. You need to get a grip, step back, and grow up - this is neither the Christianity Forum nor the Fundamentalist forum. "Spirituality" goes beyond your binary interpretation of ithe word.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Apr '11 21:52
    Well to be honest I don't see a great deal of 'spirituality' in your and RC/Galv's scripture slinging. Indeed this used to be a place of interesting philosophical wrangling and battles - a chance to broaden ones mind and test their wits. Now its just the same old chite day in day out:
    Person A:I'm right and you're wrong cos my Bible says so
    Person B:[ ...[text shortened]... k, and grow up - this is neither the Christianity Forum nor the Fundamentalist forum.
    If you can't take it Greg don't hand it out. I've taken a few of your posts in good humour too, or overlooked them. I'm not buying that old "it used to be great here in the old days" crap. If you start an interesting thread of your own perhaps people would post in it- I'd be interested in your thoughts.

I take your point about the a few of the recent threads but they are only 2 or three out of about 50 on one page. Robbie and I have the right to have a go at each others positions if we choose.

I apologise for hitting out at you.
  5. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    28 Apr '11 22:194 edits
    If you can't take it Greg don't hand it out. I've taken a few of your posts in good humour too, or overlooked them. I'm not buying that old "it used to be great here in the old days" crap. If you start an interesting thread of your own perhaps people would post in it- I'd be interested in your thoughts.

I take your point about the a few of the ...[text shortened]... o have a go at each others positions if we choose.

I apologise for hitting out at you.
    We'll put that one behind us - the main point of this thread was to illustrate, as per its title, the sheer futility of trying to drum it into your theist opponents how your interpretation of some Bible is true by appealing to the same - they merely strike back in the same manner and you're both precisely where you started.
    This thread comes across as taking the piss but that is more I suspect because without a particular focus, the toy argument in my OP just looks transparently silly - yet this is pretty much the game you, RJhinds, Galveston, Robbie Carrobie, and whoever else have been playing in more than just a couple of threads.

As for a new thread of mine I was toying with the idea of starting a "Role Reversal" thread where an atheist like myself would defend the fundamentalist stance, and a fundamentalist takes the complimentary stance. The idea being to see how the different sides think (on some particular Christianity related element that is) and to hopefully see both sides exploit a different toolset to achieve the same ends as the other would have. Alas my final exams commence in 3 weeks so now is perhaps not the correct time. I'm currently procrastavising (half procrastinating half revising).
  6. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    28 Apr '11 22:221 edit

You are the joke pal.
    Thanks and yes we are.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 02:44

P ...[text shortened]... on A: No, we'll use my Bible - the one and only true source
    and so on! 😵
    You're a 'fundie' atheist aren't you?
  8. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 02:47
    Originally posted by josephw
    You're a 'fundie' atheist aren't you?
    Please define your term: 'fundie' atheist - I'll tell you if I agree or not.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 02:53
    Please define your term: 'fundie' atheist - I'll tell you if I agree or not.
    You agree with me?

A fundamental atheist is one who says, "there is no God".

And then goes out of their way to burn Bibles at every turn.
  10. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 02:582 edits
    You agree with me?

A fundamental atheist is one who says, "there is no God".

And then goes out of their way to burn Bibles at every turn.
    Ok, well firstly I've never burnt a Bible (was given a little Gideon Bible about 17 years ago at school - I 'lost' it)
    Secondly I don't tend to say "there is no God", More often I say I don't believe there is a God. Indeed I can remember no time recently that I did make the strong assertion God does not exist with any degree of seriousness.

Try typing
    "Agerg" + "redhotchess" + "there is no God"
    "Agerg" + "redhotchess" + "God does not exist"
    into google and if I'm too forgetful on this matter please post the results.
    Reveal Hidden Content
    I have just checked myself and the only hit was a thread started by someone else: mikelom, for which the \"there is no God\" was the title
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 03:04
    Ok, well firstly I've never burnt a Bible (was given a little Gideon Bible about 17 years ago at school - I 'lost' it)
    Secondly I don't tend to say "there is no God", More often I say I don't believe there is a God. Indeed I can remember no time recently that I did make the strong assertion God does not exist with any degree of seriousness.

Try typing
    "A ...[text shortened]... into google and if I'm too forgetful on this matter please post the results.
    Why?
  12. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 03:08
    Why?
    To bear out your claim that I am the 'fundie' atheist you assert I am. Indeed a simple google check with variations on the hints I provided makes for a very quick search.
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 03:18
    To bear out your claim that I am the 'fundie' atheist you assert I am. Indeed a simple google check with variations on the hints I provided makes for a very quick search.
    First of all I ask if you were a 'fundie' atheist. I did not say you were one. Secondly, whatever you are, I hope and pray that you become as I am. Only better.

I am a fundamentalist. Do you know what that means?
  14. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 03:242 edits
    First of all I ask if you were a 'fundie' atheist. I did not say you were one. Secondly, whatever you are, I hope and pray that you become as I am. Only better.

Given the context of your reply, you didn't ask as much as you made a statement terminated with a rhetorical question mark.

Are you a 'fundie' atheist? is a question
    you're a 'fundie' atheist aren't you? is, unambiguously in this context, a statement.

There is no danger of me becoming like you.

Yes - see divegeester's thread further down page 1.
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 03:311 edit
    Given the context of your reply, you didn't ask as much as you made a statement terminated with a rhetorical question mark.

Are you a 'fundie' atheist? is a question
    you're a 'fundie' atheist aren't you? is, unambiguously in this context, a statement.

There is no danger of me becoming like you.

[b]I am a fundamentalist. Do you know what that means?

Yes - see divegeester's thread further down page 1.[/b]
    Everything in this forum is ambiguous!

You don't know it, but you are in grave danger of becoming like Christ.

That is as soon as you realise how much you need Him.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree