1. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 03:34
    Originally posted by josephw
    Everything in this forum is ambiguous!

You don't know it, but you are in grave danger of becoming like Christ.

That is as soon as you realise how much you need Him.
    You don't know it, but you are in grave danger of becoming like Christ.
    I don't understand you here.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 03:44
    Originally posted by Agerg
    [b]You don't know it, but you are in grave danger of becoming like Christ.
    I don't understand you here.[/b]
    It's what the Bible is all about. Compare these two verses.

Christ

Colossians 1:15 - Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:

Romans 8:29 - For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

I'm trying to trick you. Go for it.
  3. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 03:52
    It's what the Bible is all about. Compare these two verses.

[b]Christ

Colossians 1:15 - Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:

Romans 8:29 - For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

I'm trying to trick you. Go for it.[/b]
    These verses mean nothing to me given your claim "[I] don't know it, but [I am] in grave danger of becoming like Christ."
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 04:06
    Ok, well firstly I've never burnt a Bible (was given a little Gideon Bible about 17 years ago at school - I 'lost' it)
    Secondly I don't tend to say "there is no God", More often I say I don't believe there is a God. Indeed I can remember no time recently that I did make the strong assertion God does not exist with any degree of seriousness.

Try typing
    "A ...[text shortened]... else: mikelom, for which the \"there is no God\" was the title[/hidden]
    So you are really an agnostic then, right?
  5. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 04:091 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    No! I'm an atheist. Indeed given you don't accept Robbie Carrobie's JW doctrine should I assume you're not a Christian? I mean...after all, Robbie Carrobie is a Christian and yet you disagree with him on some pretty significant points. Are you agnostic too then?

If not, is that because you recognise that the term "Christian" is more nuanced than one specific belief and interpretation of the Bible? Why can "atheism" not have such nuance?
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 04:10
    These verses mean nothing to me given your claim "[I] don't know it, but [I am] in grave danger of becoming like Christ."
    Not so's you can see it with your eyes.

It all hinges on a mustard seed.
  7. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 04:152 edits
    Not so's you can see it with your eyes.

It all hinges on a mustard seed.
    You're throwing pearls before swine josephw - I really don't get your point: "[I] don't know it, but [I am] in grave danger of becoming like Christ.", the scripture you provide is, to me, meaningless.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 04:30
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    According to my Webster's Dictionary:
    An atheist is one who denies the existence of God.
    An agnostic is one who withholds belief because he does not know and is
    unwilling to accept as proof the evidence of revelation and spiritual
    experience.

From an earlier post, which you said something about not knowing, I
    thought you might fall within this agnostic definition. But you clarified now
    that you deny the existence of God so you are an atheist.

No, I am not an agnostic because I accept as proof the evidence of
    revelation and spiritual experience for the existence of God. So I
    not only believe God exists I know God exists.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 10:18
    You're throwing pearls before swine josephw - I really don't get your point: "[I] don't know it, but [I am] in grave danger of becoming like Christ.", the scripture you provide is, to me, meaningless.
    Why do you think it's meaningless to you? Because you don't believe or because you don't understand what it means?
  10. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 19:004 edits
    Why do you think it's meaningless to you? Because you don't believe or because you don't understand what it means?
    It's a mixture of the two. I don't believe that what your Bible says is accurate on matters with a supernatural element (this includes references to "Christ" ), and so I can only look for some allegorical or metaphorical substance behind the two scripture verses you provided. To this end, I completely fail to make a connection between these verses and your claim that I am in grave danger of becoming like "Christ".

What is the tether between what I said, how I come across in general, and some property of a supposed "Christ" that I am in danger of inheriting? If you could communicate this to me with the absolute minimum recourse to scripture I'd be much obliged.
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    30 Apr '11 21:36
    It's a mixture of the two. I don't believe that what your Bible says is accurate on matters with a supernatural element (this includes references to "Christ" ), and so I can only look for some allegorical or metaphorical substance behind the two scripture verses you provided. To this end, I completely fail to make a connection between these verses and your cla ...[text shortened]... unicate this to me with the absolute minimum recourse to scripture I'd be much obliged.
    "What is the tether between what I said, how I come across in general, and some property of a supposed "Christ" that I am in danger of inheriting?"

To be honest, the 'tether' is everything in general, and the fact that you continue to engage, and my personal propensity to turn whatever you say to my advantage. (If and when I can)

But to explain why you are in "danger", which is just a play on words, I'll say it this way:

We are God's property. God owns us by virtue of His sovereign will and legal claim on all creation. (Bare with me) Because of the fall God did the thing that needed doing, and that only He could do.

He made a way for us to be brought back to Him. That way is Christ.

When we hear the Gospel, believe it, and then trust in it, we are then baptised "into Christ" and so closely identified with Him that God sees His son when He sees us.

The reason why I said you are in danger of becoming like Christ, is not just as a play on words, but because there is no in between. One is no closer nor further away then a simple act of faith. Not blind faith, but faith based on real evidence.

Hebrews 11:1 - Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Sorry Agerg, it's my job. I'll just keep casting out my line till I get a bite. 😉
  12. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    30 Apr '11 21:43
    “Since all life is futility, then the decision to exist must be the most irrational of all.”
    E. Cioran

(“Skepticism is the sadism of embittered souls.&rdquo😉
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    30 Apr '11 21:55
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    “Since all life is futility, then the decision to exist must be the most irrational of all.”
    E. Cioran

(“Skepticism is the sadism of embittered souls.&rdquo😉
    Is life futile?

That seems wrong.
  14. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    30 Apr '11 22:04
    Is life futile?

That seems wrong.
    Why? It's simple and clear.
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    30 Apr '11 22:09
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Why? It's simple and clear.
    What is simple and clear? That life is futile?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree