1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    04 Dec '07 20:16
    In light of the fact that the Catholic Church prohibits certain types of sinners from participating in various holy celebrations, the topic here his:

Should gays be allowed to celebrate Christmas?
  2. Joined
    14 Feb '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '07 20:32
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    In light of the fact that the Catholic Church prohibits certain types of sinners from participating in various holy celebrations, the topic here his:

I don't see why not.
  3. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    04 Dec '07 20:43
    Originally posted by stepnkev
    I don't see why not.
    I dress my neighbour's sheep up in bright red and white clothing every year...

Nobody's complained yet.
  4. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    04 Dec '07 21:18
    Merry Chrithmath!
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Dec '07 23:292 edits

I've been told that homosexuals should be ostracized from church. This is because a Christian is bound to uphold the words of the Bible. It doesn't matter that the Bible is somewhat ambiguous as to its stance against homosexuals. It also doesn't matter that there is no scriptural evidence for such action to be taken.

I've also been told that this is true even though a Christian is not bound to ostracize gluttons from church to uphold the words of the Bible. It doesn't matter that the Bible is less ambiguous as to its stance against gluttons.

I've also been assured that this is in no way bigoted or hypocritical. A Christian's hands are tied - especially if it's been written into the church's bylaws. If it's been written into the church's bylaws, this is also in no way bigoted or hypocritical.

I've yet to be told about allowing homosexuals to celebrate Christmas. I'll let you know when I've been told. Though I don't like their chances.

P.S. Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you that you should never tell a Christian that he's a bigot or a hypocrite. It's like calling them names and stuff. Anyway it's bad.
  6. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    04 Dec '07 23:301 edit
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    I've yet to be told about allowing homosexuals to celebrate Christmas. I'll let you know when I've been told. Though I don't like their chances.
    Awesome. Thanks!
  7. Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    04 Dec '07 23:33

I celebrate christmas and I'm an atheist.
    Why should gays miss out?
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    04 Dec '07 23:50
    Originally posted by amannion
    I celebrate christmas and I'm an atheist.
    Why should gays miss out?
    Yeah, I'll gladly celebrate any holiday that gets me a week off from work with pay.
  9. Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 00:471 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Yeah, I'll gladly celebrate any holiday that gets me a week off from work with pay.
    Exactly.
    (Although I'm a teacher so I get 6 or 7 weeks.)
  10. Illinois
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 05:44

In light of the fact that the Catholic Church prohibits certain types of sinners from participating in various holy celebrations, should Catholics be allowed to celebrate Christmas?
  11. Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 05:57
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    In light of the fact that the Catholic Church prohibits certain types of sinners from participating in various holy celebrations, should Catholics be allowed to celebrate Christmas?
    Let's face it - who's going to stop anyone.
    Here in Melbourne where I live, we have an annual public holiday for the running of the Melbourne Cup - yes, that's right, a day off for everyone in the city because of a horse race.
    Now, I'm not a fan of horse racing, but I'm more than happy to take the day off. And no one stops me ...
  12. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 09:56
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    I've been told that homosexuals should be ostracized from church. This is because a Christian is bound to uphold the words of the Bible. It doesn't matter that the Bible is somewhat ambiguous as to its stance against homosexuals. It also doesn't matter that there is no scriptural evidence for such action to be taken.

I've also been told that this is t ...[text shortened]... bigot or a hypocrite. It's like calling them names and stuff. Anyway it's bad.
    Can you tell me where to find this ambiguity in the bible?
  13. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 10:35

Of course...they are still Gods children.
  14. England
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 11:37
    just how they celibrate, seems the question. if stuffing themselves with the turkey, or are they stuffing the turkey.
  15. Joined
    11 Oct '07
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 13:27

I'm not sure it's accurate to say that certain types of sinners are not permitted to participate in celebrations is correct.

Firstly, I don't know if there are "certain types of sinners" - I've never come across any distinction between types of sinners, rather types of sin. This may seem a subtle difference but if you think about what people do rather than the way they are it does make things different. This causes communication difficulties when people have a tendency to call themselves "gay" and the Catholic Church focusses only on the practice of homosexuality itself.

Secondly, if you are talking about holy celebrations, you are talking about excommunication. I don't believe there is any ban on attendance at Mass (indeed it may still be mandatory, I don't know), baptisms, funerals or any other liturgical service. People who are excommunicated however cannot receive the sacraments.