1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Infidel
    Dunedin
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    28 Nov '15 06:00
    God saw that the light was good;

    How do you interpret that?
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Joined
    27 Oct '04
    Moves
    78519
    28 Nov '15 06:57
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    God saw that the light was good;

    How do you interpret that?
    He'd got an energy saving bulb on special offer which had a particularly natural spectrum and lasts up to 10 billion years.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35519
    28 Nov '15 07:04
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    God saw that the light was good;

    How do you interpret that?
    Just like any good craftsman, He stopped to check His work at every stage. 🙂
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Infidel
    Dunedin
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    28 Nov '15 07:25
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Just like any good craftsman, He stopped to check His work at every stage. 🙂
    Precisely. Isn't it implicit that God stood back and made
    a judgement on the "Light" and concluded it was "Good".
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35519
    28 Nov '15 07:401 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Precisely. Isn't it implicit that God stood back and made
    a judgement on the "Light" and concluded it was "Good".
    Yes? And?

    (Waiting for the other shoe to drop, as it always does... )
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12692
    28 Nov '15 08:11
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    God saw that the light was good;

    How do you interpret that?
    I interpret it to mean that it is better than the darkness, because it makes it possible to see what is being done. 😏

    HalleluYaH !!!
    Praise the LORD!
    Holy! Holy! Holy!
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Infidel
    Dunedin
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    28 Nov '15 10:39
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I interpret it to mean that it is better than the darkness, because it makes it possible to see what is being done. 😏

    HalleluYaH !!!
    Praise the LORD!
    Holy! Holy! Holy!
    I was hoping for something deeper ... so you are excused for the rest of the thread.
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Infidel
    Dunedin
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    28 Nov '15 11:31
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Yes? And?

    (Waiting for the other shoe to drop, as it always does... )
    Why did god have to make a judgement on the "Light" if he is omniscient?
    He already knew what it was like.
    He already new it was good.

    So what does that passage mean?
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35519
    28 Nov '15 12:45
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Why did god have to make a judgement on the "Light" if he is omniscient?
    He already knew what it was like.
    He already new it was good.

    So what does that passage mean?
    Like I've argued with RJH many times, the Bible doesn't tell us everything. However, the Bible was also written for man, to explain some things in a way that ancient man of that time understood. Many men were craftsmen in that time and they certainly understood checking one's own work. Consider Genesis 1 to be more of a "novelization" than a "documentary".
  10. Standard membersonship
    the corrected one.
    Joined
    03 Jan '13
    Moves
    8553
    28 Nov '15 13:021 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    God saw that the light was good;

    How do you interpret that?
    God is a God of life.
    God is a God of purpose - preparation - plan.
    It matters to God that things are right for life - especially for us human beings.

    This is the most profound question you have asked in the midst of many ...um ... other kinds of comments.

    God saw that the light was good. Go to the last two chapters of the Bible and see if the light is still good to Him.
  11. Standard membersonship
    the corrected one.
    Joined
    03 Jan '13
    Moves
    8553
    28 Nov '15 13:05
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Precisely. Isn't it implicit that God stood back and made
    a judgement on the "Light" and concluded it was "Good".
    Its a good point. Seriously.
  12. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    28 Nov '15 21:31
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    God saw that the light was good;

    How do you interpret that?
    How? Simply.

    It means what it says.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12692
    28 Nov '15 21:32
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Why did god have to make a judgement on the "Light" if he is omniscient?
    He already knew what it was like.
    He already new it was good.

    So what does that passage mean?
    It means that the first night and day of time was complete. 😏
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86285
    28 Nov '15 22:191 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I was hoping for something deeper ... so you are excused for the rest of the thread.
    Visible light as we know it is a small part of the electro-magnetic spectrum and unless it is "seen" it has no special significance that I can percieve. Therefore, it is the "seeing" that is what makes the light good. God saw the light, it says. Therefore God either actually physically "saw" the light, or it is a metaphor for perception, or for something else.

    It is my experience that the christian community in this forum do not like metaphors explaining away** what they see as absolute literalisms of scriptural truth. So I'll leave it there and see if any of my Christians friends want to comment on my comment...

    **my "tree of life" thread from last year for example
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Infidel
    Dunedin
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    29 Nov '15 00:10
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Visible light as we know it is a small part of the electro-magnetic spectrum and unless it is "seen" it has no special significance that I can percieve. Therefore, it is the "seeing" that is what makes the light good. God saw the light, it says. Therefore God either actually physically "saw" the light, or it is a metaphor for perception, or for something ...[text shortened]... riends want to comment on my comment...

    **my "tree of life" thread from last year for example
    The detail of "seeing" is a triviality to my point. How god detected the light
    is of no consequence. My query is that the simple passage strongly implies
    that god was experiencing the light for the first time and thus was able to
    make a value judgement on it.
    I see that as contrary to omniscience.

    Just wondering - is the omniscient, omnipotent god construct a modern add-on?
    Some of the OT makes god look more like one of the Olympians ... more human.
Back to Top