1. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    19 May '06 20:29
    Before you say this is a rant, don't worry I know it is...

God ain't easy. A lot of you guys go on about awkward questions and things that don't 'add up' ,.... always looking at what God should be doing or hasn't done , instead of what he has done....it's like you expect it to be plain sailing......don't you have a concept of spirituality being something you struggle with and challenge your own preconceptions? Or do you want it all laid out on a plate like the fundies do! You're constantly looking for flies to put in the ointment and spokes to put in the wheel and whilst I'm not asking anyone to believe anything they find ridiculous...it seems to me that what you focus on is what you get...problems! Even if someone gives you a half solution you just create another problem out of it. It's not surprising God seems unbelieveable. You never even give the guy a chance!

Go for your questions (you'll find plenty of them in the Bible) but don't expect a Hollywood sunset God and when you don't get it throw your hands in the air and say "there...I told you it was all a load of XXXX" . You will just confirm your own beliefs to yourself. It's messy , dirty , sometimes frustrating , sometimes enlightening...there aren't many easy answers ...if you want them go back to nursery school...God ain't easy. GET USED TO IT.
  2. Standard memberChurlant
    Ego-Trip in Progress
    Phoenix, AZ
    Moves
    20 May '06 13:17
    God is the ultimate "easy answer".

You don't know how life originated. You don't know if we continue to exist when we die. You don't know the purpose of your life. The answer?

God.

No need to question anymore.

-JC
  3. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    20 May '06 13:31
    Originally posted by Churlant
    God is the ultimate "easy answer".

You don't know how life originated. You don't know if we continue to exist when we die. You don't know the purpose of your life. The answer?

God.

No need to question anymore.

-JC
    I agree . 'God' can easily be turned into a formula for easy answers. Creationist fundies , cult followers ,the cuddly J.Witness God with all the airbrush photos of sheep and lions. Yuk! But do you not see the other side? The times when you wish God didn't exist so you could do the 'safe' thing. The call of christ to love even those who try to kill you . The struggling with sin when others around you are telling you not to bother. The trials of faith when all seems impossible. Look at the disciples. Jesus wrecked their lives! Did Job think God was full of easy answers? Flip your coin over and have a look at the other side.
  4. Standard memberChurlant
    Ego-Trip in Progress
    Phoenix, AZ
    Moves
    20 May '06 14:53
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    I agree . 'God' can easily be turned into a formula for easy answers. Creationist fundies , cult followers ,the cuddly J.Witness God with all the airbrush photos of sheep and lions. Yuk! But do you not see the other side? The times when you wish God didn't exist so you could do the 'safe' thing. The call of christ to love even those who try to kill yo ...[text shortened]... think God was full of easy answers? Flip your coin over and have a look at the other side.
    Sin lies in hurting others. I have no need for a God to understand that harming other people is wrong. All I need in that regard is a slight bit of empathy.

-JC
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 May '06 15:05

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    20 May '06 16:54
    Sin lies in hurting others. I have no need for a God to understand that harming other people is wrong. All I need in that regard is a slight bit of empathy.

-JC
    I have no need for a God to understand that harming other people is wrong.

The question is whether you can tell another who is harming other people that it is wrong? By what authority?
  7. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    20 May '06 17:33

-JC
    Ok , I applaud your empathy but out of interest , do you feel that harming others is wrong in ANY context. Gandhi for example is quoted as saying " There are many causes I would gladly die for , but none for which I would kill" . What I am asking is are there conditions attached to your empathy or is your love for humanity unconditional? Or does your belief system mean you aspire to this love?
  8. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    20 May '06 20:58
    Originally posted by Halitose
    [b]I have no need for a God to understand that harming other people is wrong.

The question is whether you can tell another who is harming other people that it is wrong? By what authority?[/b]
    Certainly not by the authority of an old myth.
    You need to update your religion, leaving out the Sumerian proto-science.
  9. Standard memberChurlant
    Ego-Trip in Progress
    Phoenix, AZ
    Moves
    20 May '06 23:56
    Ok , I applaud your empathy but out of interest , do you feel that harming others is wrong in ANY context. Gandhi for example is quoted as saying " There are many causes I would gladly die for , but none for which I would kill" . What I am asking is are there conditions attached to your empathy or is your love for humanity unconditional? Or does your belief system mean you aspire to this love?
    Harming another human being is wrong in a basic sense. Of course there are situations in which this harm can be justified - self-defense, as an example, but the act of hurting or killing another is not only (obviously) destructive to that other person, but to yourself as well and regardless of the circumstances.

-JC
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    21 May '06 02:12
    Apparently ol' Gandhi never gave much thought to standing idly by while his wife and daughters were raped and mutilated. He was so silly, that way.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 May '06 02:57

12. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    21 May '06 03:061 edit
    Before you say this is a rant, don't worry I know it is...

God ain't easy. A lot of you guys go on about awkward questions and things that don't 'add up' ,.... always looking at what God should be doing or hasn't done , instead of what he has done....it's like you expect it to be plain sailing......don't you have a concept of spirituality being some .if you want them go back to nursery school...God ain't easy. GET USED TO IT.
    Try 20 years of solid church attendance, and reading the bible cover-to-cover more times than I can count.

Before you lecture others on 'challenging preconceptions', why don't you try challenging your main one, namely, your assumption that God exists.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 May '06 03:11

14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 May '06 03:34
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Try 20 years of solid church attendance, and reading the bible cover-to-cover more times than I can count.

Before you lecture others on 'challenging preconceptions', why don't you try challenging your main one, namely, your assumption that God exists.
    So what made you fall away?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 May '06 03:59

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree