1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 May '15 13:43
    1 And it came to pass, when Samuel was old, that he made his sons judges over Israel.

2 Now the name of his firstborn was Joel; and the name of his second, Abiah: they were judges in Beersheba.

3 And his sons walked not in his ways, but turned aside after lucre, and took bribes, and perverted judgment.

4 Then all the elders of Israel gathered themselves together, and came to Samuel unto Ramah,

5 And said unto him, Behold, thou art old, and thy sons walk not in thy ways: now make us a king to judge us like all the nations.

6 But the thing displeased Samuel, when they said, Give us a king to judge us. And Samuel prayed unto the LORD.

7 And the LORD said unto Samuel, Hearken unto the voice of the people in all that they say unto thee: for they have not rejected thee, but they have rejected me, that I should not reign over them.

8 According to all the works which they have done since the day that I brought them up out of Egypt even unto this day, wherewith they have forsaken me, and served other gods, so do they also unto thee.

9 Now therefore hearken unto their voice: howbeit yet protest solemnly unto them, and shew them the manner of the king that shall reign over them.

10 And Samuel told all the words of the LORD unto the people that asked of him a king.

11 And he said, This will be the manner of the king that shall reign over you: He will take your sons, and appoint them for himself, for his chariots, and to be his horsemen; and some shall run before his chariots.

12 And he will appoint him captains over thousands, and captains over fifties; and will set them to ear his ground, and to reap his harvest, and to make his instruments of war, and instruments of his chariots.

13 And he will take your daughters to be confectionaries, and to be cooks, and to be bakers.

14 And he will take your fields, and your vineyards, and your oliveyards, even the best of them, and give them to his servants.

15 And he will take the tenth of your seed, and of your vineyards, and give to his officers, and to his servants.

16 And he will take your menservants, and your maidservants, and your goodliest young men, and your asses, and put them to his work.

17 He will take the tenth of your sheep: and ye shall be his servants.

18 And ye shall cry out in that day because of your king which ye shall have chosen you; and the LORD will not hear you in that day.

19 Nevertheless the people refused to obey the voice of Samuel; and they said, Nay; but we will have a king over us;

20 That we also may be like all the nations; and that our king may judge us, and go out before us, and fight our battles.

21 And Samuel heard all the words of the people, and he rehearsed them in the ears of the LORD.

22 And the LORD said to Samuel, Hearken unto their voice, and make them a king. And Samuel said unto the men of Israel, Go ye every man unto his city.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 May '15 13:451 edit
    It is my contention that we all innately desire a king. If we then reject God as our king, we are left with sinful man to rule and reign corruptly over us.

That is why I think that popularity polls indicate that dictators like Putin and Hitler were widely popular. In fact, in Austria polls indicate most want another "strong man" to rule over them, just like Hitler did.
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    22 May '15 14:03
    Originally posted by whodey
    It is my contention that we all innately desire a king. If we then reject God as our king, we are left with sinful man to rule and reign corruptly over us.

That is why I think that popularity polls indicate that dictators like Putin and Hitler were widely popular. In fact, in Austria polls indicate most want another "strong man" to rule over them, just like Hitler did.
    Well done holding off mentioning Hitler until your second post.

🙄
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    22 May '15 14:22
    Can't say I desire a king or a "strong man" to rule over me.

But whatever floats your boat, Whodey.
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    22 May '15 15:36
    Originally posted by Great King Rat

Whodey likes to get whipped while being forced to look at a huge picture of Obama. 😉
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 May '15 15:36
    Originally posted by Great King Rat

It could be a strong central government.

Don't tell me you don't want some big wigs sitting in a chair somewhere micromanaging the economy, your health care, the size of your soda, the toilets you use, etc.

We all know centralized planning is just like a strong man calling all the shots. The only difference is, a strong centralized government can be faceless.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 May '15 15:37
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Whodey likes to get whipped while being forced to look at a huge picture of Obama. 😉
    Obama more or less rules by edict now.

I assume you love it.
  8. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    22 May '15 15:45
    "Forced".

That's what he tells the police.

But we all know better, don't we?
  9. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    22 May '15 15:49
    Whodey likes to get whipped while being forced to look at a huge **** of Obama. 😉
    FTFY, by the way 🙂
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    22 May '15 15:51

Don't tell me you don't want some big wigs sitting in a chair somewhere micromanaging the economy, your health care, the size of your soda, the toilets you use, etc.

We all know centralized planning is just like a strong man calling all the shots. The only difference is, a strong centralized government can be faceless.
    Sure, rant on for a little bit if you like. Don't think anybody here cares much anymore.

Anything related to Spirituality, by any chance?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 May '15 15:53
    1 And it came to pass, when Samuel was old, that he made his sons judges over Israel.

2 Now the name of his firstborn was Joel; and the name of his second, Abiah: they were judges in Beersheba.

3 And his sons walked not in his ways, but turned aside after lucre, and took bribes, and perverted judgment.

4 Then all the elders of Israel gathered themsel ...[text shortened]... ce, and make them a king. And Samuel said unto the men of Israel, Go ye every man unto his city.
    It will soon be a queen ruling over you whoders, Queen Clinton!
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 May '15 17:531 edit

4 Then all the elders of Israel gathered themsel ...[text shortened]... ce, and make them a king. And Samuel said unto the men of Israel, Go ye every man unto his city.
    If you put this much effort into replying in our discussion I might feel less like bashing your head against a wall.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 May '15 22:57

You just can't do it, can you?

You just cannot keep your political crap opinions out of this forum.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 May '15 23:00
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    It will soon be a queen ruling over you whoders, Queen Clinton!
    Better than the Queen Elizabeth YOUR countrymen voted for.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 May '15 23:02
    Originally posted by divegeester
    If you put this much effort into replying in our discussion I might feel less like bashing your head against a wall.
    Unfortunately, he should have left it there, instead of spewing his political hate speech and somehow connecting it, albeit with a huge stretch of the imagination, to modern-day America.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree