Glossographia

Glossographia

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
29 May 12

All the instances of 'speaking in tongues' I have personally encountered have been blatantly fraudulent. I personally believe that it's always either fraud [i.e. manipulative] or a mixture of hysteria and delusion. However, that's not really what I want to discuss. I am more interested in its written form. Glossographia is something I have not come across. Anyone had any experience of it or know anything about it? Are there religious people who look upon it as credible?

Ro

Moves
29 May 12

Originally posted by FMF
All the instances of 'speaking in tongues' I have personally encountered have been blatantly fraudulent. I personally believe that it's always either fraud [i.e. manipulative] or a mixture of hysteria and delusion. However, that's not really what I want to discuss. I am more interested in its written form. Glossographia is something I have not come across. Anyon ...[text shortened]... ce of it or know anything about it? Are there religious people who look upon it as credible?
Apparently the Shakers were quite keen on this:

http://www.ubu.com/ethno/visuals/shaker.html

They also believed in the complete denial of sexual intercourse, so I think this is likely to count against them in the credibility stakes for most of us.

Looks more like my note pad during a very long Board meeting.

rc

Moves
29 May 12
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
All the instances of 'speaking in tongues' I have personally encountered have been blatantly fraudulent. I personally believe that it's always either fraud [i.e. manipulative] or a mixture of hysteria and delusion. However, that's not really what I want to discuss. I am more interested in its written form. Glossographia is something I have not come across. Anyon ...[text shortened]... ce of it or know anything about it? Are there religious people who look upon it as credible?
the practice has no scriptural basis, those who spoke in tongues spoke specific
languages, not some fraudulent gobbledygook. I understand that this is not what you
want to discuss, never the less, it lends weight to your assertion of fraud.

(Acts 2:4-6) . . .they all became filled with holy spirit and started to speak with different
tongues, just as the spirit was granting them to make utterance.  As it was, there were
dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, reverent men, from every nation of those under heaven.
 So, when this sound occurred, the multitude came together and were bewildered,
because each one heard them speaking in his own language. . .

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
29 May 12
2 edits

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
languages, not some fraudulent gobbledygook. I understand that this is not what you

(Acts 2:4-6) . . .they all became filled with holy spirit and started to speak with different
tongues ...[text shortened]... ther and were bewildered,
because each one heard them [b]speaking in his own language
. . .[/b]
I was raised Lutheran, went all through primary K-8 grades in Lutheran school located on the same campus as the church, the First Lutheran church and school of El Monte California.

However, my grandmother was pentacostal and took me to a few meetings at which I saw this speaking in tongues thing first hand. A woman out of the blue in the audience had what could be described as an epileptic seizure and was literally rolling in the aisles, speaking in "tongues' and I thought I saw her frothing at the mouth.

Later I told my grandmother, who was there, what I saw, rolling in aisle, speaking in tongues and frothing at the mouth.

Grandma said with an indignant voice: She was NOT frothing at the mouth๐Ÿ™‚

I think the kind of church where this kind of thing takes place has set rules about this and the protaganists were following some kind of inner guide about just what behavior should be visible and such. She followed the script very well, taking the allotted amount of time and how many turns rolling around on the floor, etc.

I think they viewed it as being touched personally by their god. I viewed it as an epileptic seizure. Of course, I was only about 8 years old ATT and I don't think real epileptics speak anything verbal during their attacks.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
30 May 12

Originally posted by sonhouse
I was raised Lutheran, went all through primary K-8 grades in Lutheran school located on the same campus as the church, the First Lutheran church and school of El Monte California.

However, my grandmother was pentacostal and took me to a few meetings at which I saw this speaking in tongues thing first hand. A woman out of the blue in the audience had wh ...[text shortened]... 8 years old ATT and I don't think real epileptics speak anything verbal during their attacks.
She may have been demon possessed.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
30 May 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
She may have been demon possessed.
nah, i think she was stupid possessed.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
30 May 12
1 edit

Originally posted by sonhouse

However, my grandmother was pentacostal and took me to a few meetings at which I saw this speaking in tongues thing first hand. A woman out of the blue in the audience had wh 8 years old ATT and I don't think real epileptics speak anything verbal during their attacks.
It's like people they hypnotize on stage ( discrediting an otherwise worthy psychological tool) . They pick their targets carefully and when they are on stage with a hundred + people looking on they just act it out.
I had one friend who admitted exactly that when she was picked to go on stage aged 15 or so. She said it would've been to embaresing not to go along with the others.
Acting like chickens!!! Yea right!! And people pay money for this ....

No, I would have to be present to analyze any 'speaking in tongue' claims, and even then I'm not sure I could be right in all cases.

Mind you I have felt words channeled directly into my mind and spoken by with my mouth that were definately not my thoughts and sounded as new and fresh to me as it did to the couple of people who witnessed it. (I think we just left it in the "too strange for now, come back when we have more info on this " category. lol )

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
30 May 12

Originally posted by karoly aczel
It's like people they hypnotize on stage ( discrediting an otherwise worthy psychological tool) . They pick their targets carefully and when they are on stage with a hundred + people looking on they just act it out.
I had one friend who admitted exactly that when she was picked to go on stage aged 15 or so. She said it would've been to embaresing not ...[text shortened]... t in the "too strange for now, come back when we have more info on this " category. lol )
Sounds like demon possession to me.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
30 May 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
Sounds like demon possession to me.
No. I thought even you could see through this one. The crowd were merely fooled by a confident, charismatic man who planted the suggestion openly to be heard by all. He had a microphone and did not talk to the volunteers other than to suggest to all of them that they will act like chickens when he says or does something and then simirarly has an 'alarm' for them to snap out of 'it' and feign memory loss. Think about it. This could only very ,very loosely be considered "demonic possession" . Doesn't matter who you ask. (I hope you are familiar with the type of stage hypnotism that i am attempting to describe here, otherwise this might take longer than this post- which it really shouldn't)

Moves
30 May 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie

tongues ...[text shortened]... ther and were bewildered,
because each one heard them [b]speaking in his own language
. . .[/b]
Also there are "tongues of angels"

1 Cor 13:1

Ro

Moves
30 May 12
5 edits

Originally posted by divegeester
Also there are "tongues of angels"

1 Cor 13:1
And I think we all know there are a few clanging cymbals around here.

๐Ÿ˜‰

This is a sublime passage and not surprising the frequency it is used in marriage ceremonies.

Also wonderfully set to music by Joni Mitchell. I wanted this song for my marriage but was not allowed, as it was a civil service and therefore prohibited. ๐Ÿ˜