1. PenTesting
    Moves
    22 May '12 16:581 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    This idea is in serious trouble thanks to quantum mechanics. At the atomic level, we find that we cannot predict the outcomes of certain events with certainty. The best we can do is calculate the probability that a particular outcome will occur.
    Is quantum mechanics a perfect science? I dont think that branch of science is even 100 yrs old as yet. Im pretty sure there is a lot more to learn.
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    22 May '12 16:59
    Originally posted by JS357
    I think you are describing the "hidden cause" notion of randomness, which explains some seemingly random events as not really random, but as due to determinate causes we do not understand fully in terms of the variables and their values. For example, we do not understand the variables in weather, and we may understand the variables in a roulette wheel, but do ...[text shortened]... se would be, perhaps, events where the hidden variable is "God wills it." 😉
    I agree. You are saying the same thing Im saying, although more clearly.
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    22 May '12 22:25
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Is quantum mechanics a perfect science? I dont think that branch of science is even 100 yrs old as yet. Im pretty sure there is a lot more to learn.
    There is no 'perfect science.' There is always more to learn.

However, that does not mean that we cannot use the QM knowledge we have established. As far as I can tell, there is no serious dispute that outcomes at that level are probabilistic. There is mainly disagreement on how to interpret the results.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 May '12 22:33
    How is saying yes or no to God, a random choice ?
    I guess you do not think the result of flipping a coin is random, huh? Can you give your definition of random.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    23 May '12 11:37
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I guess you do not think the result of flipping a coin is random, huh? Can you give your definition of random.
    Random is a very simple word in common usage. It means an event without a specific cause or pattern.

So my question remains. How is saying yes or no to God a random choice. There must be a specific cause or reason why someone makes that choice to say yes or no to God. It cannot be random.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    23 May '12 11:44
    There is no 'perfect science.' There is always more to learn.

However, that does not mean that we cannot use the QM knowledge we have established. As far as I can tell, there is no serious dispute that outcomes at that level are probabilistic. There is mainly disagreement on how to interpret the results.
    In the last 100 years explanations and causes for many events were discovered. Think of what will happen in 1000 years or 100,000 years. Randomness might be eliminated.
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    23 May '12 12:09
    I disagree that an all-knowing God means that there is no free will.
    If god knows the initial conditions of the universe perfectly, and the universe's state is perfectly
    knowable by god at any point given perfect knowledge of the initial conditions...

Then the universe is by definition deterministic.

EVERYTHING that happens in it was determined and immutable from the moment it was created.

Thus in such a universe 'free will' is absolutely impossible.

If god really is 'all-Knowing' and that god knows in advance the outcome of every event then there
    is and can be no free will for any being in the universe.

As god is also posited to be the creator of the universe and is posited to have the ability to decide
    how to make the universe god in this scenario has absolute and total responsibility for absolutely
    everything that happens in such a universe. The strongest possible problem of evil argument applies
    here.

If you posit that god can and does know the outcome of every event before it happens then you
    by definition believe in a deterministic universe.

And free will is impossible in a deterministic universe.

So you either believe that god does not know the outcome of every event before it happens and allow
    for free will...

Or

You believe that god does know the outcome of every event before hand in which case free will is impossible.

pick one.
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    23 May '12 17:23
    In the last 100 years explanations and causes for many events were discovered. Think of what will happen in 1000 years or 100,000 years. Randomness might be eliminated.
    However, until it is....
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    23 May '12 17:24
    Originally posted by googlefudge

EVERYTHING that happens in it was determined and immutable from the moment it was created.

Thus in such a universe 'free will' is absolutely impossible.
    http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/compatibilism/
  10. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    23 May '12 18:05
    http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/compatibilism/
    Oh hell I am not reading all that.

If you want to take issue with my statement/argument that it's impossible to have free will
    in a deterministic universe then do it yourself in your own words.

In the hypothetical scenario where the universe was created by a god.

That universe is deterministic so that everything that will ever happen in it is predetermined by
    it's initial starting conditions.

That god is all knowing and thus knows the outcome of every event before hand.

And That god can choose how to start the universe thus has a choice as to what happens in it.

Then that god has ultimate and complete responsibility for everything that happens in it.

In such a universe if I were to (for example) pick up an axe and go on a killing spree, I would have
    been compelled to do so by a chain of immutable events started off by god at the beginning of time
    and god would have known what my actions would be and would have indeed caused my actions
    when god set the universe in motion.

In such a universe it would be predetermined precisely who would and would not qualify for heaven
    as everyone's actions would have been fixed in advance by god.

There is no possible definition of free will that I will accept that allows you to say that a person in such a
    universe has free will.

Free will MUST include the ability to choose ones thoughts and actions and in a deterministic universe where
    all your thoughts and actions were pre-determined by events before your birth there is and can be no choice.
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    23 May '12 19:04
    If god knows the initial conditions of the universe perfectly, and the universe's state is perfectly
    knowable by god at any point given perfect knowledge of the initial conditions...

Thus in such a univer ...[text shortened]... he outcome of every event before hand in which case free will is impossible.

pick one.
    OK.. I understand the theory and as JS 357 suggested I read some articles on the topic.

So in the anthill example. After the ants got flooded out they can choose to go east, west, north or south to set up their new home. Only I know what is going on in those directions and I know that they will die if they dont go North, lets say.

How does my knowledge stop the ants from exercising their free will to choose a direction.

How does Gods perfect knowledge stop us from using our limited knowledge to make decisions.

Or is it that you are defining free will differently from me?
  12. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    23 May '12 19:077 edits
    Oh hell I am not reading all that.

If you want to take issue with my statement/argument that it's impossible to have free will
    in a deterministic universe then do it yourself in your own words.

In the hypothetical scenario where the universe was created by a god.

That universe is deterministic so that everything that will ever happen in it i ts and actions were pre-determined by events before your birth there is and can be no choice.
    Although there is no causal link between knowing that X (even infallibly* knowing that X) and X actually happening, I think the logic works something like this:

1. G knows that X;
    2. G’s knowledge is infallible;
    3. it is possible that ~X.

But 3. contradicts 1. and 2., and results in a reductio ad absurdum. Thus, it is illogical to suggest a state of affairs in which an infallibly knowing being can be wrong. Even infallible knowing does not cause the known effect, but if there is not some (known or unknown) deterministic mechanism that ensures that X, then you can have an absurd result.

If by “free will” (whether of the libertarian or compatibilist varieties) one means that one can exercise effective choice of outcomes (e.g., ~X), then G’s infallible knowing is logically inconsistent with that “free will”. The “free will” version of the above reductio might look like this:

1. G knows that P does X;
    3. it is possible that P does ~X.

Again, this proposes nothing more than that positing the conjunction of (a) infallible knowledge of an event, and (b) the possibility that an agent can effectively choose otherwise leads to logical contradiction. (I want to thank FreakyKBH and ConrauK for arguing with me about previous incarnations of this argument, which at least resulted in this reduced form that does not employ any temporal language, and my specifying “effective choice” being entailed by “free will”. They may or may not agree with the result, and logical corrections are certainly welcome.)

At bottom, while it is strictly incorrect to say that the universe is deterministic because of G's infallible knowing, it is correct to say that G's infallible knowing is not logically consistent with alternate possible outcomes, whether effected by free human agency or not.

* Although fallibilism is the more accepted epistemic view, it is not compatible with the omniscience normally predicated of god.
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    23 May '12 19:17
    However, until it is....
    Well, at least I am concluding from the discussion that from the POV of an omni-god (God) there would no random events in the universe created by that god. All events would be either directly willed without any dependence on causes, or would be in keeping with God-established cause and effect "laws"; these laws being put in place without dependence on causes.

It is a strange concept.

The rest of this discussion seems to concern whether the power to cause things can be delegated by God to the natural creatures, and what responsibility goes along with this delegation.

But that doesn't seem any more strange.
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    23 May '12 19:29
    Free will MUST include the ability to choose ones thoughts and actions and in a deterministic universe where
    all your thoughts and actions were pre-determined by events before your birth there is and can be no choice.
    Compatibilism is the position that free will is compatible with determinism.

Once we throw out the idea that choices are only free if there was a possibility of choosing otherwise, there is no problem with this view. In fact, it makes more sense than the idea that there is some random element affecting my choices.
  15. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    23 May '12 19:331 edit
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Although there is no causal link between knowing that X (even infallibly* knowing that X) and X actually happening, I think the logic works something like this:

1. G knows that X;
    3. it is possible that ~X.

But 3. contradicts 1. and 2., and results in a reductio ad absurdum. Thus, it is illogical to suggest accepted epistemic view, it is not compatible with the omniscience normally predicated of god.
    Hmm, I thought from previous discussions here that a compatibilist would reject 3) in the 2nd argument. If so, a theist who is a compatibilist is not troubled by the argument.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree