1. Joined
    09 Mar '06
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 16:39
    How come if God is all powerful did it take him 6 days to create the Earth, surely it shoud have taken him 1 day, or possibly even 1 second, or possibly even... Anyway, the other point is why did he have to rest on the 7th day, surely God doesn't get tired does he?
  2. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 16:50
    Originally posted by MonsieurGee
    How come if God is all powerful did it take him 6 days to create the Earth, surely it shoud have taken him 1 day, or possibly even 1 second, or possibly even... Anyway, the other point is why did he have to rest on the 7th day, surely God doesn't get tired does he?
    Maybe God is just lazy.
  3. Joined
    09 Mar '06
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 16:56
    Originally posted by Bad wolf
    Maybe God is just lazy.
    Yeh I guess so. Though judging some of his later work, when he wants to the old man can really get those plagues-a-plaguing when he wants. I do worry sometimes that he seemed to take to being destructive with a bit too much gusto for my liking.
  4. The sky
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 17:00
    My guess is that humans created a God who created the world in six days and rested on the seventh because it gives them a good reason to have a rest day every seven days. Had he been created in our modern Western world, he'd probably have done the work in five days and rested for two days.
  5. Joined
    09 Mar '06
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 17:03
    When was Genesis written, supposedly? Was it meant to be before or after the Roman Calendar was taken up as a good way to measure the passing of days?
  6. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 20:15
    This is the kind of rest I think Moses was meaning.

Say if you built a house in seven days like on extreme makeover home edition. You would reflect on what you have created. I think that is what God was doing on the 7th day.
  7. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 20:25
    Originally posted by RBHILL

Say if you built a house in seven days like on extreme makeover home edition. You would reflect on what you have created. I think that is what God was doing on the 7th day.
    Completely frolicsome.
  8. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 22:32
    Originally posted by RBHILL

Why would an omniscient being ever need to reflect on anything, since he already knows the conclusion he'll come to?
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 23:08
    If you really wanted to know you would just read the book, wouldn't you?

REST has more to do with peace than anything else. His peace, his rest. It's a theme in scriptue. I wish you were really interested in it, and I hope you find it.
  10. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 21:43
    Originally posted by josephw

REST has more to do with peace than anything else. His peace, his rest. It's a theme in scriptue. I wish you were really interested in it, and I hope you find it.
    Why would an omnipotent being need rest? Surely, he's not tired.
  11. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 22:01
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    It would be the most restful of all possible rests.
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 22:10
    Do you think God needs rest? Obviously he doesn't. So there must be more to it don't you think?

Like I said in my post, God's rest is a theme throughout scripture. The setup begins in genesis with God resting from the work of creation.
    Keep the sabbath holy!
  13. Earth
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 22:28

I am a believer, so don't get me wrong. But why is it that we take the six days that the universe was made in to be literal, then when we get to something we can't explain, we start finding alternate meanings for it? The Bible doesn't say anything about His peace and all of that. So God rested, so what?

We take death and resurrection so literal, even though Jesus says let the dead burry their own dead. This He says to a person who was dead before but now is alive because he believes. He says this about those who are alive, but since they do not believe they are dead. And still we insist on taking dead, life, and resurrection to be literal. But we argue over His resting.

If we can believe that we are going to die, then God will resurrect us in the same body that we died in to live again, then let us also believe that God rested because He was tired. What is one more unbelievable detail that we have to argue over it?
  14. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 22:30
    Do you think God needs rest? Obviously he doesn't. So there must be more to it don't you think?

Like I said in my post, God's rest is a theme throughout scripture. The setup begins in genesis with God resting from the work of creation.
    Keep the sabbath holy!

Or a whole lot less.

Keep the sabbath holy!

Keep it yourself.
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 22:44
    [b]Do you think God needs rest? Obviously he doesn't. So there must be more to it don't you think?

Or a whole lot less.

Keep the sabbath holy!

Keep it yourself.[/b]
    I wasn't telling YOU to keep the sabbath holy.

Is it just me or does it seem like everybody is testy?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree