1. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 23:08
    Originally posted by josephw
    I wasn't telling YOU to keep the sabbath holy.

Is it just me or does it seem like everybody is testy?
    I wasn't telling YOU to keep the sabbath holy.

So you don't object to people working, drinking, gambling, etc on a Sunday?
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    17 Feb '07 02:46
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    [b]I wasn't telling YOU to keep the sabbath holy.

So you don't object to people working, drinking, gambling, etc on a Sunday?[/b]
    I have no objections, And here's why. Romans 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
    You should read the whole chapter to get it in context.
    I dairy farmed for 8 years without a day off.
  3. Earth
    Moves
    17 Feb '07 03:41
    Have you guys noticed that nobody answers my posts? Either my questions are too challenging, or most likely too dumb.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 02:30
    Originally posted by Varqa
    Have you guys noticed that nobody answers my posts? Either my questions are too challenging, or most likely too dumb.
    Sorry Varqa. I was too absorbed with my own thoughts.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 02:31
    Originally posted by Varqa
    And I agree with you for the most part.
  6. Earth
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 03:02
    Originally posted by josephw
    And I agree with you for the most part.
    That the questions are dumb?
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 04:59
    Originally posted by MonsieurGee
    How come if God is all powerful did it take him 6 days to create the Earth, surely it shoud have taken him 1 day, or possibly even 1 second, or possibly even... Anyway, the other point is why did he have to rest on the 7th day, surely God doesn't get tired does he?
    You assume that rest means what it does to us. We rest because we need to or become fatigued. God, on the other hand, I do not think rests due to fatigue. Perhaps rest means simply means taking a break from the task at hand which was creation and then focusing on enjoying and working with that creation verses continuing to create 24/7. For man the sabbath was given to man not only to rest physically from manual labor but was given so that man could reflect on the work of his hands as well instead of soley being consumed with the work at hand. What good is your work unless you have time to reflect about your work and have time to enjoy the fruits of your labor?
  8. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 06:13
    Originally posted by whodey
    You assume that rest means what it does to us. We rest because we need to or become fatigued. God, on the other hand, I do not think rests due to fatigue. Perhaps rest means simply means taking a break from the task at hand which was creation and then focusing on enjoying and working with that creation verses continuing to create 24/7. For man the sabbath ...[text shortened]... unless you have time to reflect about your work and have time to enjoy the fruits of your labor?
    And I've already pointed out, why would an omniscient being need to reflect on anything - it already knows the conclusions it'll reach?
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 06:21
    And I've already pointed out, why would an omniscient being need to reflect on anything - it already knows the conclusions it'll reach?
    So when you, yourself, reflect back on something you may have created I suppose the conclusions are a total suprise? I think you have a pretty good idea what and how your creation is suppose to turn out. Is there then no pleasure in relflecting upon your creation despite knowing how it should turn out?
  10. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 07:38
    Originally posted by whodey
    So when you, yourself, reflect back on something you may have created I suppose the conclusions are a total suprise? I think you have a pretty good idea what and how your creation is suppose to turn out. Is there then no pleasure in relflecting upon your creation despite knowing how it should turn out?
    I'm not omniscient.
  11. Joined
    14 May '03
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 04:53
    Why would an omniscient being ever need to reflect on anything, since he already knows the conclusion he'll come to?
    Absolute poetry!
  12. Joined
    12 Feb '07
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 05:39
    Originally posted by MonsieurGee
    How come if God is all powerful did it take him 6 days to create the Earth, surely it shoud have taken him 1 day, or possibly even 1 second, or possibly even... Anyway, the other point is why did he have to rest on the 7th day, surely God doesn't get tired does he?
    A day in God's time may be millions or even billions of years to us.
  13. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 06:56
    Originally posted by zambony
    If we have the freedome to interpret the bible in such an unrestricted manner, then we may well have the freedom to interpret it in anyway we want to. Noah's ark may mean a dinghy floating on a lake after a heavy monsoon storm; the one year floating during the flood actually means only three days and the water then subsided; the dead man who rose from his death was a whole conspiracy between him and Jesus to trick the fools who allegedly witnessed the whole thing; Jesus pretended to die on the cross with some sort of illusionist's trick just the same way David Copperfield deceived us by apparently cutting his own body into two...

And these interpretations can go on and on without restrictions, huh?
  14. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 08:57
    Remember, a theist's cop out (Goddunit) can be used a million or even a billion ways.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 13:471 edit
    So you are saying that God or the writer of Genesis forgot to translate the word 'day'? how do you know he didn't forget to translate all the other words? Maybe the whole story is about something completely different! Maybe the earth in Gods language is moon and the sun is universe and dark is grey and............

and maybe when it says 'and he was pleased with what he saw' it means 'he was really upset' because a smile for God is rolling on the floor laughter for us.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree