1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Mar '09 22:06
    Originally posted by Scriabin
    what are you, a swedish meatball? or just a meathead?

you can't recognize satire when it is plain on your face?

no one taught any secrets in Hebrew school -- though I really wanted to know how to get into that girl Sarah's pants who sat next to me, THAT was a secret I failed to learn in time.

don't be such a stupid schmuck, now you've made me all farklempt -- go talk among yourselves.
    What Hebrew shule did you go to? I thought they separated the sexes. My kid went to Ulpan for 2 years before he went to the Anglican International School in Jerusalem where he graduated from HS.
  2. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    09 Mar '09 22:141 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What Hebrew shule did you go to? I thought they separated the sexes. My kid went to Ulpan for 2 years before he went to the Anglican International School in Jerusalem where he graduated from HS.
    didn't go to a shule. was forced to go to a "Reform" congregation. First thing I did when my mother brought me, all of 5 or 6 yrs old, to meet the distinguished Rabbi was to march up and down singing the tune I liked best off of her 45 rpm stack of Perry Como hits: Onward Christian Soldiers -- bet he liked that one, too.

I hated to go, because it was a Saturday morning thing that made me miss all the cartoon shows on our 1950s black and white TV.

And I had to dress up, by my standards -- so the pants were so scratchy I wore my PJ's under them. And I sure enjoyed the experience -- well, actually, I did get interested when they taught history. but the rest of it -- you could have it.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    11 Mar '09 19:10
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    Here's another possible explanation. This one having to do with the subtleties of the Hebrew text:

"The common word for circumference is qav. Here, however, the spelling of the word for circumference, qaveh, adds a heh (h)."

[http://www.khouse.org/images/artpics/kings7.jpg]

"In the Hebrew Bible, the scribes di ...[text shortened]... How was it encoded into the text?"

http://www.khouse.org/articles/1998/158/#notes
    That's even more ad hoc. You can find codes like these in the latest Donald Duck edition if you look for them.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    11 Mar '09 19:12
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    by his logic it means god isn't bound by logic as he invented it. isn't bound my math as he invented it. isn't bound by the laws of physics as he invented it.
    I read a story, don't know if it's true, that US congress tried to set the value of pi to 3 in the 19th century. Fortunately, they were convinced by a mathematician it wasn't going to work...
  5. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    11 Mar '09 21:51
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    1 Kings 7:23 states: (KJV)

And he made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about.

Which suggests that God thinks pi = 3. What is the opinion of Christians on this matter?
    Isaiah 55:8
    "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    11 Mar '09 21:59
    I read a story, don't know if it's true, that US congress tried to set the value of pi to 3 in the 19th century. Fortunately, they were convinced by a mathematician it wasn't going to work...
    It's true.

I don't know the details, but I know that politicians tried to, by law, change the value of pi.
  7. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    11 Mar '09 22:02
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    by his logic it means god isn't bound by logic as he invented it. isn't bound my math as he invented it. isn't bound by the laws of physics as he invented it.
    that is not logic. Nor is it math or physics.

it is superstition, a belief in the supernatural.
  8. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    11 Mar '09 22:03
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    It's true.

I don't know the details, but I know that politicians tried to, by law, change the value of pi.
    such things either are the case or they are not the case.

trying to change that kind of fact through law, well, good luck with that.
  9. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    11 Mar '09 22:04
    That's even more ad hoc. You can find codes like these in the latest Donald Duck edition if you look for them.
    do NOT be dissing the Duck
  10. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    11 Mar '09 22:05
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Isaiah 55:8
    "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD.
    oh, that's proof alright.

btw, who wrote that line?
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    12 Mar '09 11:11
    i heard that one tooπŸ˜€
  12. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    12 Mar '09 11:11
    that is not logic. Nor is it math or physics.

it is superstition, a belief in the supernatural.
    forgot to write it like this: "logic"
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 Mar '09 12:41
    such things either are the case or they are not the case.

trying to change that kind of fact through law, well, good luck with that.
    Ah, you know politicians, they try with everything... Some even try to put creationism in the law...
  14. Germany
    Moves
    12 Mar '09 12:46
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Ah, you know politicians, they try with everything... Some even try to put creationism in the law...
    In Holland, this is the law as Christian schools get public funding. 😞
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 Mar '09 13:15
    In Holland, this is the law as Christian schools get public funding. 😞
    If they put religious ideas in law, then it's a step toward teocracy. We don't want that, do we?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree